Ambient Dubstep : Sounds and Samples?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Fullmetaljak

Ambient Dubstep : Sounds and Samples?

Post by Fullmetaljak » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Hey, I'm sort of new around here but I've struck a mental block on a particular subject.

I've really got into Ambient Dubstep recently (Phaeleh mainly) but I have a question:

What sort of instruments/sounds/samples work well in an Ambient Dubstep track?

I mean Bongos tend to work well, and so do female vocals and white-noise-whooshes but I'm curious if there's any others anyone can name.

This could turn into an interesting discussion :)

-Jak

Refuzed

Re: Ambient Dubstep : Sounds and Samples?

Post by Refuzed » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:42 pm

wooden instruments with lots of reverb/delay
Facebook - Twitter - Soundcloud - Mixcloud
Soundcloud
^^^^ FREE DUBSTEP DOWNLOAD ^^^^

Gurnumsbug

Post by Gurnumsbug » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:11 pm

I like to use a lot of natural sounds such as footsteps, people talking, dirt being pushed around etc..
I also like finding male vocals and making them sound female, then pitching them up, cutting them, and adding reverb to them.
It's all really about experimentation. Listen to some burial and try to point out every sample you hear.

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:10 pm

I use lots of crackly vinyl sounds and field recordings if that helps :P I also use delay a lot I guess... I find that I never really use distortion either, lots of sine waves. Maybe that's just me though.

wub

Post by wub » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 pm

Whatever sample you've got, run a seperate instance of it through a heavy delay, then high pass the output. Bounce it out and layer it under the 'dry' sample.

shatterfreak

Post by shatterfreak » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:05 am

FM synthesis. Read all about it.
"In an ideal world...anything goes" - Kode9

www.stompmag.com

http://www.soundcloud.com/shatterfreak

Fullmetaljak

Post by Fullmetaljak » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:39 pm

I like the sound of adding samples of footsteps, I was thinking of starting a tune with a sample of rain beating down gently on a window, leading into a droning piano with some echo. What do people use for snare samples? I find that having a dry, snappy snare sounds a bit harsh amongst the low frequencies. I like the sound of claps or maybe a tap on the rim of the snare.

Jas0n

Post by Jas0n » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:13 pm

One thing you can do is time-stretch samples. You can take a lot of the snap out of a snare by stretching it out. This seems to be even more so the case with samples which are maybe not traditional trap kit material ... instead of a drum sample, maybe you've got some sort of hammer strike.

Industrial sounds are useful for this.

akcept

Post by akcept » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:45 am

Rim shots with a fair bit of reverb sound good instead of using a snare

xstatic

Post by xstatic » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:34 pm

i know phaeleh uses a lot of guitar sounds. they're great for producing sort of soft, ambient melodies.

field recordings of basically anything can add atmosphere and depth to a song. i've heard that aphex twin, a master of ambiance, once set a microphone up in his house overnight and used many of the strange sounds that he recorded.

space is also an instrument, so it's not always about what you put in but what you leave out.
Soundcloud

Cyber Punk Music

hudson

Post by hudson » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:05 am

xstatic wrote:i know phaeleh uses a lot of guitar sounds. they're great for producing sort of soft, ambient melodies.

field recordings of basically anything can add atmosphere and depth to a song. i've heard that aphex twin, a master of ambiance, once set a microphone up in his house overnight and used many of the strange sounds that he recorded.

space is also an instrument, so it's not always about what you put in but what you leave out.
The Aphex Twin thing reminds me of a song I did that I felt needed a little air/ambiance, so I just hit record on my laptops mic and used that in the background. You can hear footsteps from upstairs, my drink bubbling, even a little sound from outside. It definitely gave the song a more live feel.

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:09 am

pretty much any sound, just put fuck loads of reverb on it

drooka

Post by drooka » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:14 am

Fullmetaljak wrote:I like the sound of adding samples of footsteps, I was thinking of starting a tune with a sample of rain beating down gently on a window, leading into a droning piano with some echo. What do people use for snare samples? I find that having a dry, snappy snare sounds a bit harsh amongst the low frequencies. I like the sound of claps or maybe a tap on the rim of the snare.
recorded myself snapping a belt and then ran it through some heavy verb and whatnot. ended up with a nice atmospheric snare

Efrafa11

Post by Efrafa11 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:40 am

I like finding tribal drumming samples and laying them behind my drums to give a more live drum feel

and i'll drink myself to death or at least i'll drink myself to sleep
and chainsmoke my way through the gaps in between my aspirations and my apathy.

3rdeye

Post by 3rdeye » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:45 am

Lots of reversed things.

Lots of reversed reverbed things.

Dubtechnoey chords and stabs made from pads. Field recordings and time-stretched, pitched down things for atmos.

That's pretty much my staple, eg:

Soundcloud
edit: Soundcloud being a biatch, dunno why it won't embed

Happy to deconstruct any of the sounds in that ^ if anyone into this particular style would find that useful.
Subtitles | Area Recordings | Muti Music | Requiem Audio | Subway | Gradient Audio
http://www.soundcloud.com/3rdeye

Fullmetaljak

Post by Fullmetaljak » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:40 pm

3rdeye wrote:Lots of reversed things.

Lots of reversed reverbed things.

Dubtechnoey chords and stabs made from pads. Field recordings and time-stretched, pitched down things for atmos.

That's pretty much my staple, eg:

Soundcloud
edit: Soundcloud being a biatch, dunno why it won't embed

Happy to deconstruct any of the sounds in that ^ if anyone into this particular style would find that useful.
Reversing stuff sounds awesome :D especially cymbals and gongs.

Also, I like the idea of just recording the room that you're producing in, would add a really nice ambience to the track (I especially like the slight hum that computers make)

Just wanna throw it out there, someone mentioned that snapping a belt makes a nice snare, thumping a wooden table or something can make a warm, muffled kick which can sound quite nice within a track. I personally prefer warm but punchy kicks but the option is there.

I wonder if someone can make a track which is entirely altered field recordings?

Gurnumsbug

Post by Gurnumsbug » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:28 am

Fullmetaljak wrote:I wonder if someone can make a track which is entirely altered field recordings?

slothrop

Post by slothrop » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:32 am

Have a look at xoxos' VSTs - http://www.xoxos.net/vst/vst.html

The 'nature' stuff and some of the physical models (like his 'virtual machine') are brilliant for creating random noises...

Refuzed

Post by Refuzed » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:36 am

i need to buy a field recorder. although for now i have a recorder app on my iPhone that allows me to do just this..
now to use it! lunchtime soon.. ;)
Facebook - Twitter - Soundcloud - Mixcloud
Soundcloud
^^^^ FREE DUBSTEP DOWNLOAD ^^^^

Electric_Head

Post by Electric_Head » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:59 am

stretch and pitch your sounds
Image ImageImage Image