Heavy bass thread

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Congojack

Heavy bass thread

Post by Congojack » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:58 pm

I've been experimenting making my bass lines i've been trying to get that heavy wall of sound that the likes of Nero get. I'm getting there but my monitors are busted so i've been doing everything through the headphones. I'd be very grateful to hear some feedback on how to improve it and i'll give tips on how i got there in the first place.

This is a song i started a few days ago it's no where near finished still have a lot to do with it but this is more of a bass test as i said so feedback and tips would be much appreciated :corndance:

Soundcloud
Soundcloud

New WIP, Feedback appreciated.

MoonUnit

Re: Heavy bass thread

Post by MoonUnit » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:55 pm

not quite sure what you mean about wall of sound... maybe you could elaborate? In my opinion (after listening to your track) I would said to raise the sub bass up an octave. You put it in at C2/D2 right? It'll hit harder in C3/D3 or whatever you choose as your key. Also, it sounds as if your sub bass spikes really hard at certain points. something sounds like its doubling up.

sounds good though for mixing in headphones... I had been working in some my self for the longest time.

extremesociety

Post by extremesociety » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:39 pm

MoonUnit wrote:not quite sure what you mean about wall of sound... maybe you could elaborate? In my opinion (after listening to your track) I would said to raise the sub bass up an octave. You put it in at C2/D2 right? It'll hit harder in C3/D3 or whatever you choose as your key. Also, it sounds as if your sub bass spikes really hard at certain points. something sounds like its doubling up.

sounds good though for mixing in headphones... I had been working in some my self for the longest time.
But you have to remember C2/D2 will sound deeper on a serious sound system with a subwoofer. I'm listening through a decent setup and you could even just bump up the sine wave in dB, it's not loud enough imo.

Filthzilla

Post by Filthzilla » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Stereo widening + More Distortion?

accordionfan

Post by accordionfan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:30 pm

MoonUnit wrote:not quite sure what you mean about wall of sound... maybe you could elaborate? In my opinion (after listening to your track) I would said to raise the sub bass up an octave. You put it in at C2/D2 right? It'll hit harder in C3/D3 or whatever you choose as your key. Also, it sounds as if your sub bass spikes really hard at certain points. something sounds like its doubling up.

my friend...a sub at c3 isnt a sub,,,

1point5

Post by 1point5 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:12 am

accordionfan wrote: my friend...a sub at c3 isnt a sub,,,
this (well, depending on how your plugin is set)

if you can hear it, try an octave below. If you can still hear it, repeat, if not then keep the original octave. Otherwise it's too high
http://www.facebook.com/1point5
http://soundcloud.com/1point5
1point5 - Void (Rinse FM Rip) - Chip Butty Records
Soundcloud

dubbyconqueror

Post by dubbyconqueror » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:23 am

1point5 wrote:
accordionfan wrote: my friend...a sub at c3 isnt a sub,,,
this (well, depending on how your plugin is set)

if you can hear it, try an octave below. If you can still hear it, repeat, if not then keep the original octave. Otherwise it's too high
Not really, C3 is a note with the fundamental (or all you'd get in a sub) around 130hz. If you have your synth an octave down its actually a C2, even if you're playing a "C3" in your midi. Semantics, really, just felt like being a dick.

Congojack

Post by Congojack » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:50 am

Aye thanks for the feedback folks, i agree i may work on the sub and fill it out i didnt spend much time on it atall i was just working on the growls. I'll work on it after college and work on the rest of the tune and upload it when it's nearly done :)
Soundcloud

Congojack

Post by Congojack » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:53 am

Ya it's a bit shit like cause i never know what it sounds like on a system until i'm finished and it sounds decent through headphones but then the speakers are unforgiving! The sub issue where it spikes is i have a couple of subs layered on top of eachother by accident was a rearranging issue must of over looked it i'll take care of it when i get home.
Soundcloud

MoonUnit

Post by MoonUnit » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:24 pm

maybe i need to eq my hardware a bit better, then. I have an equalizer in between my monitors and my subs, should I just cut everything off beyond 125 hz? Right now, the decibel level on the next band (250 hz) is decreased by half and all the rest above 250 are off.

Refuzed

Post by Refuzed » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:36 pm

i LP my subs at 100hz if its just a sub and nothing else
Facebook - Twitter - Soundcloud - Mixcloud
Soundcloud
^^^^ FREE DUBSTEP DOWNLOAD ^^^^