Dirty production?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Gurnumsbug

Dirty production?

Post by Gurnumsbug » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:51 pm

Over the past couple of months, "From Fields" has became a major inspiration on me.
I would like to know how to achieve that dirty yet clean production technique he has nailed down.

Soundcloud

Soundcloud

Soundcloud

I don't know if he is just using a shit ton of Lo-Fi processing or what?
Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers :3:

curmee

Re: Dirty production?

Post by curmee » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 pm

you dont!
learn how to produce your own sound :studio:

subfect

Post by subfect » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:03 pm

^ ignore curmee. Although developing your own sound comes in time, sometimes it's worth trying to imitate others. Just don't try to make it identical - you'll do nothing but get frustrated.
160 bpm roller - for all the skankas.
Soundcloud

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Subfect
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Subfect

Gurnumsbug

Post by Gurnumsbug » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:06 pm

Yeah no don't get me wrong I'm not trying to copy him in his sense of style.
I'm just trying to get down the mixdown and master sound he seems to always have.
It's like really dirty, yet sounds perfect while listening in a pair of headphones on the way to the park.
Hope that makes sense. Cheers for your answer though :)

Dublicious

Post by Dublicious » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Are you talking about the vinyl esque-crackle layering over the actual track?
It's either low-fi recording, or he's just layering a constant pad loop of crackle,
also he doesn't have very harsh hi-ends so it doesn't so too bright, a hard thing to achieve unfortunately.
It's very much down to the art of eq'ing

dubbyconqueror

Post by dubbyconqueror » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:12 pm

curmee wrote:you dont!
learn how to produce your own sound :studio:
If trying to get a dirty production sound is copying someone else's sound then how is going for a sterile clean sound not?
As for this, a lot of it is in the sound design of his synths and EQ/effects. Something I like to do for higher sounds to get this feel is slightly low passed with a decent bit of resonance (depending on the original sound) or EQ and roll off towards the high end a bit, as people have said, to get a nice lo fi, warm feeling. Some vinyl crackle/tape hiss never hurts for this sort of thing either!

curmee

Post by curmee » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:18 pm

i think its always not prosessing a file,its original recording tecnigues what makes those
artist so unigue :dunce:

Gurnumsbug

Post by Gurnumsbug » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:00 am

Dublicious wrote:Are you talking about the vinyl esque-crackle layering over the actual track?
It's either low-fi recording, or he's just layering a constant pad loop of crackle,
also he doesn't have very harsh hi-ends so it doesn't so too bright, a hard thing to achieve unfortunately.
It's very much down to the art of eq'ing
When it comes to his crackle and vinyl sound, I can very much get close but, it's just his sound is very polished.
At times it sounds like he puts a low-pass filter on a return track and mixes to taste.
Though i'm not entirely sure.

deadly_habit

Post by deadly_habit » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:15 am

drench in verb, low pass, eq out the highs and some of the lows post verb drenching
also tape effects and imperection vsts work wonders
http://www.delamancha.co.uk/unstable.htm
http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml wow and flutter

Gurnumsbug

Post by Gurnumsbug » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:23 am

^thanx deadly! I've always had wow and flutter in my collection of VST's, but never got around to using it and understanding it.
Question though? Where would be the best place to put wow and flutter? In a return track or the master channel?

deadly_habit

Post by deadly_habit » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:37 am

depends on what you want to have with the effect
play around

Gurnumsbug

Post by Gurnumsbug » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:53 am

^cheers man :3:

hudson

Post by hudson » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:49 am

It sounds to me like he's using a lot of field recordings that may come from older/lower quality mics or tapes. Maybe he uses lots of tape compression too, like Flylo (who has a slightly similar sound). It sounds like he might use a few hardware effects. Try some very very slight bit-crushing too, I find that that really helps dirty up sounds when used right (ex. the hats in the song Iris in my sig). I agree with Deadly about the lowpassing, the warmer high frequencies might be a product of tape compression though. And yeah, tonnes of dark reverb.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:02 am

WOW. I never heard of this dude. I actually don't like it that much. It's super boring to listen to. Maybe if I was on LSD or something the subleties would be more interesting. IDK, I agree w/ above when saying sounds like he uses field recordings

benjam

Post by benjam » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Try vinyl crackle, recordings of room ambience, electrical hum and machine drones low in the mix maybe a touch of reverb just expiriment

Nixti

Post by Nixti » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:29 pm

It sounds to me like the drums are super lo-fi with some sort of band pass filter on them and dirty reverb, but there are a couple of elements there which are really hi-res and clean - like the pads and the vocals. Also that really dirty lead synth sounds like it's been put through a guitar amp or amp sim (listening to 'Moments').

So basically if you get a contrast between really lo-fi on some sounds and really hi-fi on others, you should get close to that style of production. For the lo-fi vibe, also experiment with saturation and distortion plugins (Soundtoys decapitator is great for this).
NIXTI - BREAK IT UP EP OUT NOW ON SMUDGE MUSIC
Soundcloud

Follow Nixti:
Facebook | Soundcloud | Twitter | YouTube

Smudge Music
http://www.smudgemusic.com