Renoise

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
unempty

Post by unempty » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:55 pm

Misk wrote:
dubsteppa wrote:i give up i bought this program unawear how it even worked and arfer maney hours of renoise makin nonoise im acctully gonna give up and delete it i think im gonna still to ableton :)
in the words of the I Ching ...
Ah yes, the silence - it is the noise.

unempty

Post by unempty » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:57 pm

Daft tnuc wrote:
dubsteppa wrote:i give up i bought this program unawear how it even worked and arfer maney hours of renoise makin nonoise im acctully gonna give up and delete it i think im gonna still to ableton :)
Thx for the tip Unempty!
No probs. Another useful tip is checking out the (to me anyway) incredibly useful export feature where you can export each track as a separate wav, but also split them per pattern.

Sweet stuff for importing into another DAW.

selector.dub.u

Post by selector.dub.u » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:26 am

what helped me learn how to use it is the tutorials on youtube.
give that a shot.
Roundabout Sounds
Soundcloud

misk

Post by misk » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:27 pm

totally. Kaneel's video entitled "why we dont need beatslicers in renoise" really helped me understand what renoise is capable of. I knew it could render individual parts of a sample to a new sample, but i never thought of using it the way he did.

stuff like that is really dope! maybe i should make a video tutorial? i kinda suck at that shit tho, and ever since the tracheyotomy i'ts been hard to understand me :wink:

dj slums
Permanent Vacation

Post by dj slums » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:06 pm

im new to all this, and probably way out of my depth trying to learn renoise. im not sure though. ive used lots of s/ware, just not music production.
i downloaded loads of those free vst's that was reccomended on the bible, eg, camel crusher and a few others, but looks like they need a prog to work with, as when i open em, theyre just a system file. eg fruity loops or somthing.

what do you guys think i should get? my heads going to explode if i dont get started on somthing soon.

should i stick with renoise demo or try somthing easier?

please help.

misk

Post by misk » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:03 am

stick with it, and your perspective will shift. though, you may find it easiest to go to something like ableton.

come back to renoise later regardless :D

dj slums
Permanent Vacation

Post by dj slums » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:11 am

i'll stick it out. :wink:

crytek

Post by crytek » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:23 am

After trying the beta for 1.9, I sold Logic Pro today :o

... also gave cubase sx 3 to my brother, Since I won't need that anymore. :o

:o
Azair wrote:...equipment doesn't determine the quality of the tunes, because the creativity of mind can never be programmed by a computer.

Time is running...
|

newnumbertwo

Post by newnumbertwo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:21 pm

... also gave cubase sx 3 to my brother, Since I won't need that anymore.
I've been using Renoise for a little over a year, and am a big advocate of it's use, but I wouldn't go giving away your main sequencers yet...

While I think Renoise is amazing for all sorts of things, one thing it definitely, absolutely sucks at is arranging. You can't tell me that the sequence editor is an effective, flexible arranger. Yes it can get the job done, but I have found my best results in a workflow that allows me to do the bulk of my composition in Renoise, then export the audio files for further arrangement in Cubase. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I've found that this works best for me.

The other thing that it really sucks at is importing or exporting MIDI. If you work in an environment where you are absolutely sure you will never, ever need to work with MIDI generated in other applications, then this point might not be applicable to you.

One area that I think Renoise rules at is automation. Earlier in the thread someone asked about using MIDI controllers to adjust parameters. Yes this is possible but unnecessary. Renoise's power is in giving you super precise control without a lot of roadblocks, and parameter automation is where this point is in full effect. IMO, the mouse is the best tool for this task.

Anyway, just my $0.02, and also, first post, so greets to the board!

-n#2
While we may believe
our world - our reality
to be that is - is but one
manifestation of the essence

misk

Post by misk » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:15 pm

im kind on the fence about cubase sx3. i've still got it, and its great for audio recording, and not bad for arranging but im not sure if i want to sell it yet. renoise is all i use anymore tho, so who knows what i'll do.

as far as arranging goes, i think you need to really break free from the visual arranging paradigm to arrange sucessfully in renoise. not that i fully have, as i sometimes get lost in my tracks.

i find its best to make 16 bar patterns, and label them accordingly with the number of bars in the pattern, as well as the part of the song.

1- intro 16
2- intro2 16
3- break 16
4- 1st drop 16

etc...

it helps me a ton.

ptr

Post by ptr » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:31 pm

I've been using Renoise for some time now. The thing is, I used to work solely with the good old Fasttracker 2 when I was, like, 11-13 years old. So tracker-style working is not new for me. However, the slight differences in FX parameters kind of frustrate me since I have forgotten most of the commands since I haven't been tracking since age 15 (and now am 21). Also because I am so used to FTII it's hard to get out of the primitive wayt of producing and using the new options with VST and everything that didn't exist back then to the fullest effect.

What would probably be very a great help to me in my situation, is if someone here would be nice enough to upload or send me a track, of course dubstep would be the most ideal, in .rns format so I can kind of learn and see which effects they used for what. Maybe even accompanied by some written comments on how and what they did. Don't worry, I won't copy anything or use it in tracks of myself, just to get some of that old feeling of being in control of the tracker back!

Would be greatly appreciated! e-mail: i.havinga@hccnet.nl

crytek

Post by crytek » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:44 am

Little Boh Peep wrote:

(A little background on that, the MIDI controller had been randomly entering data into the command line when I was in edit mode. Resetting all the knobs and faders to 0 fixed it... I think.)
Yeah, mine does that too. I'm using an old oxygen 8. I know for one thing, little ghost messages seems to pop up like that, so I have to mash every key until I find the offending one. Sucks. I may end up getting a new one, although this oxy 8 has lasted me for a good number of years.
Azair wrote:...equipment doesn't determine the quality of the tunes, because the creativity of mind can never be programmed by a computer.

Time is running...
|

misk

Post by misk » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:07 am

crytek wrote:
Little Boh Peep wrote:

(A little background on that, the MIDI controller had been randomly entering data into the command line when I was in edit mode. Resetting all the knobs and faders to 0 fixed it... I think.)
Yeah, mine does that too. I'm using an old oxygen 8. I know for one thing, little ghost messages seems to pop up like that, so I have to mash every key until I find the offending one. Sucks. I may end up getting a new one, although this oxy 8 has lasted me for a good number of years.
have the same problem with my radium 61. My problem is with the pitch bend controller. I just set up renoise to ignore it, and the problem went away...

crytek

Post by crytek » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:54 am

Misk wrote: have the same problem with my radium 61. My problem is with the pitch bend controller. I just set up renoise to ignore it, and the problem went away...
how did u do this?

Time is running...
|

misk

Post by misk » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:59 pm

under midi preferences (renoise/file menu - preferences - midi) theres a section that asks if you want to record controller data. i just unchecked the box. also you can tell renoise to ignore specific controllers.

dunno if that will work with a key tho... i would imagine it could.

crytek

Post by crytek » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:04 pm

Misk wrote:under midi preferences (renoise/file menu - preferences - midi) theres a section that asks if you want to record controller data. i just unchecked the box. also you can tell renoise to ignore specific controllers.

dunno if that will work with a key tho... i would imagine it could.

humm.. assuming that your midi controller had knobs/faders, etc.. were you still able to use them? Did it disable them in anyway?

Nonetheless, I'm giving this a shot. Thanks.

Time is running...
|

ptr

Post by ptr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:24 pm

Ok I got to this idea;):

http://www.myspace.com/iddohavinga

Any good for a basis? Any ideas as how a skeleton like this could be effectively elevated? Thanks...

katana

Post by katana » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:59 am

I"m producing using buzz, still the world's best tracker. I gave Renoise a try, since so many people are so enthusiastic about it. But I must say it sucks. It is very well programmed and looks and feels quite nice. But the lack of a sequencer makes creating serious tracks a pain in the ass. If you just want to add some track and want to test how it fits with the rest of the tune which you"ve already created, you got to copy and paste it to all the patterns.
Also that complicated mixer setup could be made much simpler, as the modular concept in buzz for example. I would like to see a tracker like buzz, programmed in the style of renoise, that would be fucking awesome. But the way it is now I'm much faster creating music in buzz than in Renoise.

daft cunt

Post by daft cunt » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:40 pm

katana wrote:I would like to see a tracker like buzz, programmed in the style of renoise, that would be fucking awesome.
That's exactly what Renoise is about : Buzz but better.
I've had some hard time getting into it too. Switching from one to the other, thinking Renoise could be nice if not a pain in the ass to use.
My feeling now is that nothing in Renoise is less good than in Buzz, it just works differently.
Buzz is a nasty piece of software tho, too bad Oskari stopped developping it.

katana

Post by katana » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:02 am

Daft tnuc wrote:
katana wrote:I would like to see a tracker like buzz, programmed in the style of renoise, that would be fucking awesome.
That's exactly what Renoise is about : Buzz but better.
I've had some hard time getting into it too. Switching from one to the other, thinking Renoise could be nice if not a pain in the ass to use.
My feeling now is that nothing in Renoise is less good than in Buzz, it just works differently.
Buzz is a nasty piece of software tho, too bad Oskari stopped developping it.
Well, the sequencer is definetly a thing which is better in buzz, i think there is no discussion about that. The lack of a decent sequencer will definetly prevent myself from seriously working with renoise, even though I would like to. I worked with fast tracker2 (the ancestor of renoise) before using buzz. The sequencer was one of the major progress that came along with buzz and I just don't understand why people go back again.

By the way, there is a buzz-remake (Buze) under strong development right now. Very compatible and stabile already and very promissing and, most important, open source so that not the same shit can happen again, which has happened to buzz.