sub bass click

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Locked
User avatar
topmo3
Posts: 4657
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:14 am
Location: Finland

sub bass click

Post by topmo3 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:13 am

whenever i lay down a sub, be it from a synth or a sample, there's always this annoying click at the end of the midi event. this doesn't bother that much when there's lots of stuff on top of the sub, you can't hear it then but when there's bare sub it's very prominent. can't think of a solution to this?
Image

User avatar
mitchAUS
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Re: sub bass click

Post by mitchAUS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 am

Increase the release on the amp envelope of the sampler or synth your using. The click should disappear

User avatar
drokkr
Posts: 7128
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:57 pm
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by drokkr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:57 am

mitchAUS wrote:Increase the release on the amp envelope of the sampler or synth your using. The click should disappear
ADSR - Learn to use them properly. They are invaluable to music production right across the board.

Also, you could bounce to audio and manually edit the click out of the sample.

User avatar
Sparxy
Posts: 1188
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by Sparxy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:31 pm

drokkr wrote:
mitchAUS wrote:Increase the release on the amp envelope of the sampler or synth your using. The click should disappear
ADSR - Learn to use them properly. They are invaluable to music production right across the board.

Also, you could bounce to audio and manually edit the click out of the sample.
Ditto on the ADSR. If you dont know what they do you should learn right now!
Editing the WAV after is a workaround rather than a cure, and you'd still need to set an amp envelope on the sample itself to eradicate clicking anyway

User avatar
Electric_Head
Posts: 16958
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:59 am
Location: South of Africa
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by Electric_Head » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:34 pm

isn`t the clicking just cutting a waveform before its complete?
surely exporting it won`t help you to find the click.
It`s technically not there
Image ImageImage Image
Image

User avatar
Sparxy
Posts: 1188
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by Sparxy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 pm

In this instance its likely to do with the release on the AMP envelope, especially if he's using Massive. Common mistake is to ignore the AMP envelope (its envelope number 4 by default), on the init patch the attack and release both produce clicks so they both need adjusting.

But yeah if you're working with samples it would be to do with cutting it mid wave. Again you could fix it by editing the volume envelope on the wav itself, so it fades out quickly rather than just ending abruptly

User avatar
Electric_Head
Posts: 16958
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:59 am
Location: South of Africa
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by Electric_Head » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:44 pm

pretty much what I thought
even a synth click is still a result of a cut wave
which as you say can be shaped with the amp envelope
Image ImageImage Image
Image

User avatar
Sparxy
Posts: 1188
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by Sparxy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Cut waveform =/= abruptly ending waveform
Same thing really

PS I like the tune in your sig, its fucking dark

User avatar
Electric_Head
Posts: 16958
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:59 am
Location: South of Africa
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by Electric_Head » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Sparxy wrote:Cut waveform =/= abruptly ending waveform
Same thing really

PS I like the tune in your sig, its fucking dark
Thanks brother

I have a fair bit I need to put up on SC.
Image ImageImage Image
Image

User avatar
Sonika
Posts: 7169
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:00 pm
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by Sonika » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Raise the attack and release to your liking. Boom, done.
Image

"The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving."
-Waking Life

follow me
friend me

Brisance
Posts: 1586
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: sub bass click

Post by Brisance » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:15 pm

Sparxy wrote:In this instance its likely to do with the release on the AMP envelope, especially if he's using Massive. Common mistake is to ignore the AMP envelope (its envelope number 4 by default), on the init patch the attack and release both produce clicks so they both need adjusting.

But yeah if you're working with samples it would be to do with cutting it mid wave. Again you could fix it by editing the volume envelope on the wav itself, so it fades out quickly rather than just ending abruptly
Who the hell uses Massive for subs?

tragiclifestories
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:55 pm

Re: sub bass click

Post by tragiclifestories » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Brisance wrote:
Sparxy wrote:In this instance its likely to do with the release on the AMP envelope, especially if he's using Massive. Common mistake is to ignore the AMP envelope (its envelope number 4 by default), on the init patch the attack and release both produce clicks so they both need adjusting.

But yeah if you're working with samples it would be to do with cutting it mid wave. Again you could fix it by editing the volume envelope on the wav itself, so it fades out quickly rather than just ending abruptly
Who the hell uses Massive for subs?
it's got a sinewave ain't it?

User avatar
Sparxy
Posts: 1188
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by Sparxy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:42 pm

I use Massive for subs all the time. im familiar with its controls so its really easy for me to make the sub do what i want. all you need is a sine innit

Brisance
Posts: 1586
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: sub bass click

Post by Brisance » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:02 pm

You don't use a semi truck to transport a bag of milk, do you?

fragments
Posts: 3552
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: NEOhio
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by fragments » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Brisance wrote:You don't use a semi truck to transport a bag of milk, do you?
How big is the bag of milk?
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

User avatar
Sparxy
Posts: 1188
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by Sparxy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:45 am

Brisance wrote:You don't use a semi truck to transport a bag of milk, do you?
Its just a synth. its no more or less qualified to produce a sine than any other synth. This is a pointless and silly debate lol

User avatar
JTMMusicuk
Posts: 3008
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Newcastle
Contact:

Re: sub bass click

Post by JTMMusicuk » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:00 am

fragments wrote:
Brisance wrote:You don't use a semi truck to transport a bag of milk, do you?
How big is the bag of milk?
:lol:

VirtualMark
Posts: 1821
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:15 am
Location: UK

Re: sub bass click

Post by VirtualMark » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:17 pm

one thing to point out, don't increase the release by a lot, else your sub can sound flabby. just do it enough to reduce the click.

also another thing to do is to low pass the sub, as the click is usually in the high frequencies. low passing can virtually eliminate the clicks while still keeping the sub tight.

antandra
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: sub bass click

Post by antandra » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:58 am

The reason it clicks is because it's not starting or ending at a zero point of the wave. If you bounce it down, and look really closely, you can see it cutting off. The amp envelope is the 3rd one in Massive, and increasing the attack and release a slight amount is one way to correct the problem. Also, make sure the sound is monophonic.

User avatar
Ascenic
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: sub bass click

Post by Ascenic » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:39 am

antandra wrote:The reason it clicks is because it's not starting or ending at a zero point of the wave. If you bounce it down, and look really closely, you can see it cutting off. The amp envelope is the 3rd one in Massive, and increasing the attack and release a slight amount is one way to correct the problem. Also, make sure the sound is monophonic.
3 years later... :cornlol:

Image


I mean, it's good advice but still 3 years? You gotta admit that's pretty funny.
bouncingfish wrote: AU like australia? I went to the site it uses paypal. They have paypal down under don't they? jhaha

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests