sub never sounds fat or warm enough

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
wayfarer__

Re: sub never sounds fat or warm enough

Post by wayfarer__ » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:25 am

lol yeah everyones getting caught up on the whole side-chain controversy.
i guess what i was after was advice on what peoples actually processes of making their subs are (what they have on the inserts, what they think is necessary and what is not), comparing it to my own and seeing if there is anything that i could benefit from. i know that sounds cheap but its more of an aspirational thing, there are lots of banging producers i look up to on here, if i can get one of their pence on the matter then it would no doubt help.

respect for the input so far though guys. big up

Depone

Post by Depone » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Listening to the tune, id say its very well constructed, but the subs volume could come up. I think this is because its a very deep bass. Without looking at a visualiser i'd say its nocking between 28-35hz have you tried altering the key of the whole track up a few tones? It sounds like its long winded, but I twill help the bass to reveal itself more. If not then I would add more distortion and let it ring through more without the low pass filtering.

wayfarer__

Post by wayfarer__ » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks Depone - Its an E note, which is 1 or 2 notes lower than my usual efforts actually. My analyser says its hitting about about 43 hz.

Anne Droid

Post by Anne Droid » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Sonika wrote:It still creates a slightly pumping feel
for me i usally just play with the threshold, ratio and attack settings to make sure its ducking properly and not pumping

didi

Post by didi » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:43 pm

You want it to be tight. A big sub is often narrow on the frequency spectrum. Mix it well/turn it up to get it loud, but to lose flabbiness and gain tightness, don't have the sub flayed out across the frequency spectruum
[+]
bennyfroobs wrote:cool it vip is one of the best funky tracks of all time, hands down
[+]
Agent 47 wrote:photek? who is photek

photek is my mate whos a house dj from london lol
[+]
wolf89 wrote:Me and my mates play a game where we remember the worst or most obscure nu metal bands we can and listen to them when drunk

Electric_Head

Post by Electric_Head » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:50 pm

I took a listen on Beyerdynamic DT 990, it`s there but very soft.
I`d listen to Depone.
Turn up the volume of the bass or pitch the note up.
Image ImageImage Image

Genevieve

Post by Genevieve » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Yep the note is a bit too low and maybe quiet. I'd go as low as about 35/40 hz tbh.

Also, if you're using a sinewave;

DON'T. DO. ANYTHING WITH IT. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, KEEP THE SIGNAL ENTIRELY CLEAN

EQ'ing or filtering a sinewave is 100% pointless since it's only the fundamental, you'd only be causing volume issues if you did. If you distort a sine you can EQ all you want ('cause it's no longer a sine anyway) AFTER distorting it, but that's it. >.>

A pure, unprocessed sinewave is the tightest sub you can ask for. And you'll make it rumble and sit well in the mix by getting rid of all the sub from every other channel.

namsayin

:'0

123kidd

Post by 123kidd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Not sure if it has been mentioned but try some saturation

e-motion

Post by e-motion » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:06 pm

I also use sidechaining on the sub. Play arround with the settings, you can make it not pump at all with low gain reduction and very low release. Oh, make sure you use a compressor with a knee setting since it can have a pretty great effect if tweaked well.

And I like some VERY LITTLE pumping on my sub ;)

daft cunt

Post by daft cunt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:58 pm

3za

Post by 3za » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:02 am

daft tnuc wrote:
The game changer...
2 keyboards 1 computer
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.

MassAphekt

Post by MassAphekt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:38 am

@Sonika
Shorten the attack and release for a less pumping feel and you also don't have to have the threshold so low nor the ratio so high to achieve cleanliness in your low range mix (talking about sidechaining your sub to your kick, that is if they take up the same frequencies frequently
New April 4
Soundcloud
New March 31
Soundcloud

Travis James Manitopyes

travis_baker

Post by travis_baker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:42 am

MassAphekt wrote:@Sonika
Shorten the attack and release for a less pumping feel and you also don't have to have the threshold so low nor the ratio so high to achieve cleanliness in your low range mix (talking about sidechaining your sub to your kick, that is if they take up the same frequencies frequently
i really don't agree whith sidechaining just mix it properly and you wont have to, you cant have everything big. listen to the tracks from black out by 2562 and drop a freq anyliser on it, hes a freak.

illtabulous

Post by illtabulous » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:04 pm

well low passing a sine wave would just be changing the volume of the sine wave since its only one frequency. Using a lowpass filter is just a silly way of turning down the volume.
nowaysj wrote: Basically our ears are sluts, they'll spread their cochlea for any old big sound that comes along.

wayfarer__

Post by wayfarer__ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:19 am

illtabulous wrote:well low passing a sine wave would just be changing the volume of the sine wave since its only one frequency. Using a lowpass filter is just a silly way of turning down the volume.

out of massive even when its pure sine and no inserts it sounds like a loose arsehole unless i low pass it to like 100 hz. :S