Theoretically Complex Dubstep

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
e-motion

Re: Theoretically Complex Dubstep

Post by e-motion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Probably well known, but since no-one mentioned...

daft cunt

Post by daft cunt » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Not exactly new but still one of the most brilliant dubstep tune ever imo

ambinate

Post by ambinate » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:04 am

+1 to hecq, phaeleh, and author - definitely all doing stuff that's a little different in terms of theory and definitely all worth checking out. guido is another good one - he messes around with some different time signatures occasionally, and writes some really nice, unique melodies and chord progressions.

this isn't dubstep so i know it's not really related, but dbridge is a personal favorite of mine whenever i want to listen to stuff that's doing interesting harmonic movement.

he's awesome at writing deceptively simple chord progressions. really cool stuff.

also - i would argue that there is a difference between something that is complex on a melodic/harmonic/theoretical level and something that has a great melody or chord progression. they can (and often do) overlap, but they're not mutually inclusive. skrillex's tunes (as one example) have lots of melodic material in them, and he definitely has a knack for writing catchy melodies, but none of it is particularly complex in terms of theory. i'm not trying to knock anybody here, i just think there is a distinction that can be made.

travis_baker

Post by travis_baker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:25 am

bonobo

wormcode

Post by wormcode » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:31 am

blinkesko wrote:
wormcode wrote:There was a trained pianist making tunes a couple of years ago. It had nice progressions and melodies. I don't recall his nick or if he's still doing it, but try a search. I'll find his info when I'm off my mobile and post it.
Gemini is a trained pianist, and his stuff is nice. Don't know if he's your guy, though.
No it was a guy looking for feedback on his tunes. I thought he posted here, but I'm quite sure it was this thread from 2009 given the thread title, plus I posted in it. The download is probably dead by now but maybe he's active on soundcloud or something: http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.ph ... 8&cache=13

Also I feel Zomby (with ONE 'o') should be mentioned in this thread as well. Maybe not super complex, but more so than most other dubstep, and much more melodic. Man is the king of shuffles too.

dansheep13

Post by dansheep13 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Found this just now. The lead synth pretty similar to a rock guitar solo:

Ldizzy

Post by Ldizzy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:14 pm

culprate would be my best bet.

then james blake also has a keen musical sense.
Sharmaji wrote:2011: the year of the calloused-from-overuse facepalm

Killamike49

Post by Killamike49 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Ldizzy wrote:culprate would be my best bet.

Forgot about Culprate. If i could digress, i'd like to point out that crash is the heaviest thing I've ever heard.
Datsik ft snak the ripper- Fully Blown (Team Americuh remix)
Soundcloud
Dance Edit
Soundcloud
Call me Mike
pikeymobile wrote: mate im not even joking i once pulled out of a girl and liquid shit shot out about 3 feet down my bed

Ldizzy

Post by Ldizzy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Killamike49 wrote:
Ldizzy wrote:culprate would be my best bet.

Forgot about Culprate. If i could digress, i'd like to point out that crash is the heaviest thing I've ever heard.
same here, that song is SCARY.
Sharmaji wrote:2011: the year of the calloused-from-overuse facepalm

e-motion

Post by e-motion » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:34 pm

dansheep13 wrote:Found this just now. The lead synth pretty similar to a rock guitar solo:

TUNE! Him/Her/They also have a pretty funny star wars remix, but the lead in that track is insane. I'm impressed.
Last edited by e-motion on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drake89

Post by drake89 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:37 pm

travis baker wrote:bonobo
Bonobo records are awesome. Bonobo live band is awesome. Bonobo dj sets are utter shit. He played wompwomps on loop for like n hour n half.

Mimosa is the same way except he's actually kind of an asshole.

cmgoodman1226

Post by cmgoodman1226 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:32 pm

drake89 wrote:
travis baker wrote:bonobo
Bonobo records are awesome. Bonobo live band is awesome. Bonobo dj sets are utter shit. He played wompwomps on loop for like n hour n half.

Mimosa is the same way except he's actually kind of an asshole.
I've never seen a bonobo dj set, I saw him with a live band though and the whole show was incredible. Also, RJD2 ftw. When I saw him he had a live band where he got on just about every instrument but the drums and played them ALL very well, got on the turntables AND the MPC; an utterly amazing and flawless performance IMO. And his productions is as solid as any.
new stuff
Soundcloud

wolf89

Post by wolf89 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:33 am

No offense. but melodically dubstep isn't very complex ever.

There's a lot of stuff that is technically impressive production wise or is very original or sonically interesting but nothing here is that complex compared to a lot of other genres of music.

That's not a criticism. Just an observation.
http://twitter.com/Wolfthedj
sofa_king wrote:wolf89 has a massive cock.

Leave Blank

Post by Leave Blank » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:05 am

Me and my brother just put together a fairly melodically complex track. It is a reworking of some of the progressions in moonlight sonata: Soundcloud
Music:

Soundcloud

glottis5

Post by glottis5 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:07 am

Guido. Not too complex, but very melodic, you can tell he knows what he's doing composition wise.

kaiori breathe

Post by kaiori breathe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:56 pm

wolf89 wrote:No offense. but melodically dubstep isn't very complex ever.
Soundcloud

I disagree.

Mad_EP

Post by Mad_EP » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:33 am

Sorry - but I am going to have to agree with that Wolf post..

Most EDM is just simply not that complex musically. Before people start bitching - that doesn't make it any less valid... some of the greatest songs ever written were EXTREMELY simple.

BUT

We're talking about a whole slew of genres that are loop-based - that alone is limiting. But even the ones that escape cliche'd pitfalls, they still find themselves in other tarpits....

Also - before anyone else tries to bring it up (O Hai MaDep! I no u were classicl trained, but yer own stuffs is 'haz Cheezburger' obvious) - I completely agree. MOST of the EDM stuff I write is simple technically - sometimes the odd compound timesigs , cross rhythms, creative modulation, etc.... but on the whole, I tend to be about texture rather than theoretically complex tings.

If you REALLY want complex music and execution... sorry, you probably are going to have to go to classical or jazz.
PLUS - being musically complex isn't just about how many keys/modulations one can rip through in a few minutes... it is also about how much one can squeeze out of a single key, a single motif, a single texture.. to completely reinvent it over & over again... all while not exactly repeating itself, yet still telling a story....

I mean - just LISTEN...

(yep - i just gave you a 75 minute link as ONE example...but it is one of the best symphonies in the world being conducted by one of the best minds of the past 200 years performing one of the best pieces ever composed. If listening to this in one go is a problem for you, then you got much greater problems than how to get L33t theory to help yer Wobblz)

(PS part 2 - don't forget... that if you REALLY want to raise your game... this piece & performance shows how much variation can be had with DYNAMICS! (how loud or soft the music is), TEXTURES! (the physical properties of sound and how to mix them for a more diverse sound to the ear)... as well as high-lighting the need for achingly catchy melodies and quotable themes to be used and re-used throughout...)

You know what - the original idea was to drop links for a few a pieces... but Mahler's 5th Symphony is a HUGE swallow for newbz to all of this.. (as enjoyable as it should be)..... if this isn't your cup of tea, no offense taken, move on and all good.... but for those who heard this and found a greater hunger.. I'll hook you up.
Tasty Cyanide Radio : Every 3rd Monday, 10pm-12am GMT

Booking: val [at] artik-unit.com
http://artik-unit.com/artists/mad-ep/
Licensing/Publishing: edzy [at] funklabs.com
http://www.funklabs.com/artists/mad-ep

Sonika

Post by Sonika » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:36 am

I think it's not impossible for EDM to be musically complex, I just think that aspect of the music hasn't manifested itself yet.

"The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving."
-Waking Life

follow me
friend me

drake89

Post by drake89 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:04 am

i agree that most edm is not complex relative to other genre's, BUT

#1-Aphex Twin

#2- Venetian snares

I don't believe Aphex twin is classically trained, so I think that most of his complexities are rhythmic and textural. I would be quite suprised if venitian snares isn't classically trained, but a lot of his complexities are rhythmic also.

Rhythm is part of music theory, something that hasn't been discussed so far. On an unrelated note, I'd reckon that several Mars Volta songs are on par with that symphony (though I haven't listened to it yet).

Not a chance that this is real, butImage :cornlol:

hasezwei

Post by hasezwei » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:07 am

90% of whats posted in here isnt dubstep anyway so fuck yall, have some autechre.

favorite autechre tune. sums up the whole album really.

not sampled. he composed this shit himself. can skrillex do that? no.

can your favorite "melodic dubstep" (i feel sick writing that) do that? this shits like a classical piece, none of your standard intro->bland drop->breakdown->2nd drop->outro with some BYOOTIFUL MELODEEZ n shit.