Is it the name?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
antman

Is it the name?

Post by antman » Thu May 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Ok guys I've been thinking about something, is it sometimes the name?

Meaning, lets say deadmau5 or skrillex makes a tune, people go fucking apeshit for it, and play it everywhere.

Now, lets say you or me made that tune, people are going to respond with "meh"

Am I right? Sometimes I feel like big name artists will release a shitty tune every now and than, and people will still love it. But is it because of the name?
cmgoodman1226 wrote:I don't know what you all are going on about. I listened to it on my beatz by dre headphones that my parents bought me for mixing, and the sub sounds huge! stop hay-in'.
Soundcloud

Aufnahmewindwuschel

Re: Is it the name?

Post by Aufnahmewindwuschel » Thu May 24, 2012 6:04 pm

i guess i would still go meh if deadmau5 or skrillex would make a good tune so yeah it is the name
jedi govna, picka ти materina
glasses?
Soundcloud

antman

Post by antman » Thu May 24, 2012 6:05 pm

BudSpencertron wrote:i guess i would still go meh if deadmau5 or skrillex would make a good tune so yeah it is the name
:lol:

I just used them as examples because everyone knows them.
cmgoodman1226 wrote:I don't know what you all are going on about. I listened to it on my beatz by dre headphones that my parents bought me for mixing, and the sub sounds huge! stop hay-in'.
Soundcloud

ketamine

Post by ketamine » Thu May 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Yes, OP.

Genevieve

Post by Genevieve » Thu May 24, 2012 6:19 pm

Yep. 90% name at least. Or more like, the fact that a lot of people 'like' that 'name', which gives it the green light to be 'liked'.

Edit: Same with Loefah or Burial, though.

namsayin

:'0

Head of the DSF Hebrew Awareness Society

Hircine

Post by Hircine » Thu May 24, 2012 6:25 pm

a tune with a ragga vocal sample and muddy low end by me = shit
a tune with a ragga vocal sample and muddy low end by x famous/good producer from x label = raw produced, old school style, roots et coetera.

:cornlol:
DSF's foreign exchange student
Forthcoming Bassweight Recordings:
Soundcloud
Facebook
phaeleh wrote:
bassbum wrote:The pheleleh tune I have never heard before and I did like it but its very simple and I could quickly recreate it.
Yeah I wanna hear it too :P

outdropt

Post by outdropt » Thu May 24, 2012 6:28 pm

What?

What is deadmau5 and skrillex without, there first couple of big bangers.

Its the tunes brah, you got to release good tunes consistently
and even then people wont remember your name.

You have to make songs that make people want more of YOU. And then they remember the name.

Its different with every producer, some people are internet famous and others work there @$$ off at shows to get known
NEW SONG

Soundcloud

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

samurai

Post by samurai » Thu May 24, 2012 6:31 pm

yes. the artist and the individual song are inseparable. if two different artists create the EXACT same song, I will view both differently.

ketamine

Post by ketamine » Thu May 24, 2012 6:43 pm

samurai wrote:yes. the artist and the individual song are inseparable. if two different artists create the EXACT same song, I will view both differently.
Funny this is, that can go both ways:

Ikonika Tune = Stupid.
Same Ikonika Tune by a friend who just picked up his first DAW and genuinely is trying to make music but doesn't know what he's doing yet = Brilliant.

DZA

Post by DZA » Thu May 24, 2012 6:54 pm

jackmaster wrote:you went in with this mix.
.onelove. wrote:There needs to be a DZA app on iPhone just for id'ing old Grime tracks.
Soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/keepitgully http://www.mixcloud.com/slevarance/

outdropt

Post by outdropt » Thu May 24, 2012 7:05 pm

If you are awesome at making tunes and you copy (Zeds Dead for instance) style and put out a song like

Zeds Dead- Want you (LMFAO remix) pretending to be Zeds Dead

Of coarse you are going to get views of fans that like zeds dead, and hey maybe some of the fans like the song....... But that does not mean that they made

Zeds dead white satin, eyes on fire, or any of the other songs people liked
And maybe those people liked those songs so much that they remembered Zeds dead

Which is why that Faker got views in the first place.
NEW SONG

Soundcloud

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ketamine

Post by ketamine » Thu May 24, 2012 7:09 pm

:o :lol: WOW

antman

Post by antman » Thu May 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Oh my :lol:

Prime example.
Soundcloud

Turnipish_Thoughts

Post by Turnipish_Thoughts » Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 pm

yep i totally think it's the name. To me it's pretty obvious.

I'll just say things like "hype" and "fame" and "celebrity culture" and leave you with "people generally follow the crowd".

to be perfectly honest, some of the tracks people have made on this website shit neon diarrhea on commercial dubstep. But that's just the way the world is.
Soundcloud
Altron wrote:The big part is just getting your arrangement down.
Serious shit^
Brothulhu wrote:...EQing with the subtlety of a drunk viking lumberjack

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Thu May 24, 2012 9:18 pm

What is more stunning, is antman's late realization of this?
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

InternetSlaveMaster

Post by InternetSlaveMaster » Thu May 24, 2012 9:33 pm

It's the name, obviously. Hence bands/producers starting off strong, then once people want more from them, they start releasing shit and everyone eats it up just the same, because "If X song was great, Y song is great too!"

I mean to be honest, if any of you released any Burial tune everyone would be like "wtf is this?" and critique it to hell, Burial releases it and it's straight from the gods.

Also, when a tearout brostep artist releases some shitty "chill" track that they have no business creating, everyone goes apeshit like "WOW SO EPIC AND CHILL YOU ARE SO TALENTED WHAT KIND OF MUSIC CAN'T YOU MAKE?!".

Kinda disappointing that people don't rate music on the music itself but by who made it, but whatever.

Attila

Post by Attila » Thu May 24, 2012 9:37 pm

If Skrillex and Deadmau5 released every song under a different name of course they wouldn't be successful/have any sort of following. It's like a restaurant opening 10 locations and only serving one dish in each (wonky analogy-I'm feeling a little lazy).

ketamine

Post by ketamine » Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 pm

InternetSlaveMaster wrote:It's the name, obviously. Hence bands/producers starting off strong, then once people want more from them, they start releasing shit and everyone eats it up just the same, because "If X song was great, Y song is great too!"

I mean to be honest, if any of you released any Burial tune everyone would be like "wtf is this?" and critique it to hell, Burial releases it and it's straight from the gods.

Also, when a tearout brostep artist releases some shitty "chill" track that they have no business creating, everyone goes apeshit like "WOW SO EPIC AND CHILL YOU ARE SO TALENTED WHAT KIND OF MUSIC CAN'T YOU MAKE?!".

Kinda disappointing that people don't rate music on the music itself but by who made it, but whatever.
I guess it goes for anything really--art world for example.

Painting by a nobody (no matter how good) = meh.
Painting by a dead guy from the 60's = unrivaled brilliance. Pure genius.

hasezwei

Post by hasezwei » Thu May 24, 2012 10:18 pm

outdropt wrote:If you are awesome at making tunes and you copy (Zeds Dead for instance) style and put out a song like

Zeds Dead- Want you (LMFAO remix) pretending to be Zeds Dead

Of coarse you are going to get views of fans that like zeds dead, and hey maybe some of the fans like the song....... But that does not mean that they made

Zeds dead white satin, eyes on fire, or any of the other songs people liked
And maybe those people liked those songs so much that they remembered Zeds dead

Which is why that Faker got views in the first place.
who the fuck is zeds dead

samurai

Post by samurai » Fri May 25, 2012 1:45 am

ketamine wrote:
InternetSlaveMaster wrote:It's the name, obviously. Hence bands/producers starting off strong, then once people want more from them, they start releasing shit and everyone eats it up just the same, because "If X song was great, Y song is great too!"

I guess it goes for anything really--art world for example.

Painting by a nobody (no matter how good) = meh.
Painting by a dead guy from the 60's = unrivaled brilliance. Pure genius.
exactly.
context is everything.
nothing exists in a vacuum.