Affordable Field Recorders

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
idontreallygiveashit

Re: Affordable Field Recorders

Post by idontreallygiveashit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:38 am

Well, my H1 arrived today and i've been having a lot of fun. I see what people mean by the handling noise, i've been placing it on flat surfaces but obviously sound vibrates through which will affect it. Not much, but enough to require a quick master. Ordered a tripod though. Will make a "dead cat" later. Would anybody be interested in me uploading some samples? I don't really know what to record that would be helpful (i dont have a guitar or anything familiar) , just thought i would throw it out there.

Also, this + hourglass + alchemy = me feeling like a shit Amon Tobin. Loads of fun though.

Ongelegen

Post by Ongelegen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:32 pm

:4:

It takes some time learn how to handle it 'properly' to minimize the handling noise. Also again, be very careful with attaching and removing the bipod, the thread breaks easily, well for me it did :x

As for inspiration on what to record, well basically everything can make a sound, experiment. Also read this book: http://www.soundeffectsbible.com/ Very informative, fun and inspirational read.

fragments

Post by fragments » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:09 pm

I've got a load of old acetate records my grandfather gave me...after I make sure there is nothing I can sample from them (pretty poor condition...lived in the attic for years...) I was going record me busting them up and hit them with sticks to make a sample pack...

...just as an idea of what to record...

I always quite like working with the sound of water as I find it hard to replicate. Recording percussive sounds from house hold items adds a different feel to tunes. Also breaking sticks makes for a nice snappy layer in a snare.

Also, don't discount recording something playing through you monitors to get a natural room reverb...I've also set up my Tascam up stairs by an air return vent and done vocals/percussion in the basement...get some interest reverb that way too.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

idontreallygiveashit

Post by idontreallygiveashit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:34 pm

Project EX wrote::4:

It takes some time learn how to handle it 'properly' to minimize the handling noise. Also again, be very careful with attaching and removing the bipod, the thread breaks easily, well for me it did :x

As for inspiration on what to record, well basically everything can make a sound, experiment. Also read this book: http://www.soundeffectsbible.com/ Very informative, fun and inspirational read.
Yeah, i saw lots of second hand ones with the thread broken, i guess it must be a common one. Very cool link too!
fragments wrote:I've got a load of old acetate records my grandfather gave me...after I make sure there is nothing I can sample from them (pretty poor condition...lived in the attic for years...) I was going record me busting them up and hit them with sticks to make a sample pack...

...just as an idea of what to record...
I recorded some stuff in my bathroom, which sort of echoes a bit. And i've also come to enjoy the background noises as they add a nice texture and depth when editing the sounds. Too scared to work with water at the moment as i know i'll just drop my shiny new recorder in the sink :lol:

Here's a selection of noise i made today from samples i took. They're edited really heavily, so i've put what the original sample was on the SC link. These were done for fun.

Soundcloud

:4:

Thank you to the people in this thread, really glad i decided to get a recorder. Haven't had this much fun with sound since... ever?

Marzz

Post by Marzz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:22 am

I'm getting a Tascam recorder soon. Gonna go around the neighborhood to cool little corridors between buildings and im gonna make some bongos and djembes with my Dad to bring and then im gonna go there and record some minimalistic sounds 8) Mainly when its raining too so i can record some dope rain samples. I'll make some to share too. 8)

http://www.mixcloud.com/Bigironrecords/the-chamber-files-11/

jrisreal

Post by jrisreal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:44 am

Hardware store. Loads of crap that makes sounds.
...in my opinion
ImageImageImage

Marzz

Post by Marzz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:47 am

jrisreal wrote:Hardware store. Loads of crap that makes sounds.
Shit... I'm going to my local hardware store or home depot after I get that recorder. This is great. I didn't even think about that. I'm gonna be causing some mayhem :twisted:
Thank you. Great idea mate.

jrisreal

Post by jrisreal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:10 am

No problem. Got kicked out of Ace hardware doing this...
...in my opinion
ImageImageImage

Marzz

Post by Marzz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:14 am

jrisreal wrote:No problem. Got kicked out of Ace hardware doing this...
:lol: Got any good sounds in though? haha