Delete your samples

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
wub

Re: Delete your samples

Post by wub » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:19 am

Nothing to say you cant back them up before deleting...;)

Augment

Post by Augment » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:45 pm

I have a folder where I have my favourite hits, I'll mostly just search through the other samples to find hihats, crashes and stuff.
I did once find a folder where I had lots of songs I had downloaded at one point, but forgotten of, and that's where I found Winter Song, so I remixed it, pretty happy with that.
I just can't bring myself to deleting all those samples
aka blinkesko
Soundcloud
Jesus Loves Electro - Burning Love (Augment remix)

Spotify: http://spoti.fi/1m5GUjL
iTunes: http://bit.ly/1iHWose

Lichee

Post by Lichee » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:14 pm

rayman612 wrote:im thinking about deleting all mine & saving the breaks...

im scared tho :( :( :(
i did this when i moved from fruity to logic, deleted everything apart from breaks and reggae samples and a few of my favourite samples, it's refreshing and definitely worth it, if you're really worried just back it up somewhere

VirtualMark

Post by VirtualMark » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:40 pm

It says i started this thread, but i didn't! Weird.

wub

Post by wub » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:49 pm

VirtualMark wrote:It says i started this thread, but i didn't! Weird.

No, I did...cannabilsed the OP for "Thinking Out Loud", wasn't expected a resurrection :lol:

paradigm_x

Post by paradigm_x » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:13 pm

i delete everything after doing things now, very liberating, multi tracks, sequences, fx programs, samples, nothing get saved but the final master...

;)

wub

Post by wub » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Starting from scratch everytime?

nnny

Post by nnny » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:46 pm

I couldn't imagine starting from scratch every time. My latop AND external HDD died on me at the start of the year. I'm still feeling the effects from it. Been so long since I've made anything.

Lost all motivation/inspiration completely :(

paradigm_x

Post by paradigm_x » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:49 pm

not got time to give a full reply (i intend to blog this at some point, prob with vide0s), BUT

basically, all the boxes have saved patterns, so we go thru, make a few, and see what works with what, then jam some more into the sequencer over the top, then record a few multitracks down, then keep the best and delete the rest, then have a few jams with the multitrack down to stereo, then delete the multitracks. Once the (eg) 909 patterns have been used they get overwritten. Other option is to leave 909 and 606 in pattern write mode and write while you jam.

No regrets, no going back and fiddling with little details, getting better and better at trying to maximise the good bits and minimise the fuckups. But the whole real/live/warts and all is really fresh sounding (in Our opinion) since everything is sooooo processed/flat these days. What was the last tune you heard with a mistake in it ? If its not too bad to take away from the 'performance' its actually a really interesting point, makes youre ears go did i just hear that right?

Then send the best version to macc. Have a really nice, flatish, dynamic mix, and the cost of £25 or so per master, between two, more than compensates for room acoustics, decent master hardware EQs and compressors etc. Use maccs ears, equipment, and experience to make a blinding final tune.

Then put online, for free/pay what you want and not receive a penny. About the same as usual TBH!

I am soo happy with the way things are going in this regard. Proper oldschool. Considering hiring it out...

Cheers

paradigm_x

Post by paradigm_x » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:50 pm

got to consider ive been doing this nearly 20 years now. I can start and finish a tune pretty quickly, and have amassed a reasonable studio in this time, plus experience...

I have got tons of samples, but not used any for a while, thinking of doing a breaky tune soon.
nnny wrote:I couldn't imagine starting from scratch every time. My latop AND external HDD died on me at the start of the year. I'm still feeling the effects from it. Been so long since I've made anything.

Lost all motivation/inspiration completely :(

Ghost of Muttley

Post by Ghost of Muttley » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:03 am

Title: Delete your samples.
First post: Why are you deleting your samples?

It's a trap.

glottis5

Post by glottis5 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:58 am

it's just a problem of organization. organize your stuff right and you won't be overwhelmed.

NinjaEdit

Post by NinjaEdit » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:50 am

Sampling your own shit sounds better anyway.

wub

Post by wub » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:22 am

Unique sound libraries FTW :U:

Might have as it with some funk records today 8)

Electric_Head

Post by Electric_Head » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:26 am

I have purchased many sample libraries.
I can guarantee that 90% of them are unique to the point that many of you wouldn't have seen or heard them before.
Image ImageImage Image

Efrafa11

Post by Efrafa11 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Spring cleaned all my sounds, like 10gbs of samples.
Actually, pretty inspiring to get rid of a shit ton of old sounds i'd abuse.

and i'll drink myself to death or at least i'll drink myself to sleep
and chainsmoke my way through the gaps in between my aspirations and my apathy.

outdropt

Post by outdropt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm

outdropt wrote:So i am realizing now that it is time to get my patches and samples into order. Thought i would give some reason as to why you should organize as well.

Some of you will probably say you should organize from the beginning, naming and dating everything you make. Yes this is ideal but in the beginning that is not my mind set, every time i started a track i would literally build the drums and sounds from scratch, just to get used to the process and capabilities. Now we need to put things in order to make use of those countless hours of sound design.

So now i have a mess on my hands, 80+ projects (ableton) maybe 20-30 with some decent playing material, 40-50 with some good concepts/sounds but the song as a whole sucks, and a few duds.

If you are:

1. Your spending a lot of time sorting threw old projects
2. You like some of the sounds melodies you previously did but the song as a whole is not going anywhere
3. Spend a lot of time developing sounds
4. Find it harder to come up with new ideas
5. Recycle old ideas with new techniques
6. Have a shit load of old material

You should try and sort some of your material out. This will help you create songs from start to finish a lot quicker, and make it easier to find a specific sound.

Here is how i would suggest sorting.

Lets start with bass, now it is up to you if you would like to keep effects and sub bass on your patches and in your bounced clips. I personally do not recommend keeping sub bass with your bounced audio because it will be effected by whatever processing you do when you bring the patch up in a new song (unless you plan on splitting bands of course).

Create a folder, Name it Bass sounds.
Inside the folder we are going to create two folders,
1 is for Bounced clips the other is for patches. (this is to preserve bass lines that you have already created and automated)
Naming the sounds is up to you, Most of the time i will state which project the files from and ether a number or an explanation for the sound (yug, growl, ect)
If your going to have multiple clips of bounced audio for the same patch create another folder within the bounced clips folder, named with the project file its from.
In the patches folder create a folder, name it whatever project you got the patch from.

Drums i suggest making a drums folder,
Inside the drums folder make folders for snares, kick, cymbals, ect.
All my drum sounds start and finish as audio clips. I would bounce to audio with whatever effects are on the sound (Do not include compression, i would wait until its in the context of whatever track your using the drums sound for)

For high end synths and sound FX's it is up to you how refined you want to get with the folders
You can base it on
Frequency- roughly where most of the sound sits
Onamonapia's- (Swoosh, buzz, ding, pshhh, ect)
Effect names- (Sweep up, sweep down, ambiance, lead keys, ect)

Just some ideas for why and how you should go about getting organized. This will help you get ideas down quicker and you will now know where to go to get specific sounds, instead of sitting there playing through a sea of clips. Hope this helps!
A post that received 0 comments :u:

http://dubstepforum.com/posting.php?mod ... &p=2914431
NEW SONG

Soundcloud

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lloydy

Post by lloydy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:40 pm

I never delete anything,i just burn everything to disk and wipe from my hd.I just have mainly my most used folders still on my system and pretty much search for certain sounds on the web before i start a track.
New Dnb track
Soundcloud

Free Download
Soundcloud

twilitez

Post by twilitez » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Got about 60 gigs and im not planning to delete anything. I can find all the important stuff and the rest is just a little adventure :D

nameless133

Post by nameless133 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:30 pm

I just delete a few that I never use. Actually I use mostly samplers, so I deleted the most of softsynth that I tried and used for few stuffs.