Some Toughts On Music

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
bassbum

Some Toughts On Music

Post by bassbum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:51 am

When we think things we feel emotions and a lot of the time we act on thos emotions. I know after saying that people are going to claim that they are above there emotions and only act logically but im talking about people not Vulcans.

Anyway I was thinking when we listen to music we feel the emotions the music make us feel and then a lot of the time there is a vocal message to go with it. Then we play it over and over agen associating that message with that feeling to the point that we can remember it years later. What im trying to say is are we programming are minds with the music we listen to?

I did some NLP and psychology and it claims that if you pinch your left hand every time you are happy, when you are sad you can make yourself feel better by pinching you hand agen.

I know that the more you do something the bigger and grater in number the connections in your brain associated with that thing get.

To top this off there is the stupid way in witch people, young people especially, idolize the people sending that message. Every one must see when someone at school or even the work place dose something and others copy because that person is "cool" or "looked up to"

I myself have been listening to music and tryed to link my life with the lyrics in some way. In fact thinking about it I have done it a lot of times and im sure im not the only one. If other people do this, if they are listening to sad music they will collect a negative point of view on things that have happed to them.

Could we simply change our attitudes and the way we think about thing by simply choosing the right music? Is it posible to tailer make music for specific grope of people and give people motivation, cure depression, stop suicide or make fat people stop eating?

Subliminal messages are so powerful that they are illegal.

jrisreal

Re: Some Toughts On Music

Post by jrisreal » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:57 am

You seem to have a recurring issue with spelling things right...particularly "grate" is actually "great" in the context in which you are using it. Not trying to bag on you, rather simply letting you know.

That aside, I agree with you. And while subliminal messages are illegal, people use them constantly in advertisement, music, etc.
...in my opinion
ImageImageImage

Shum

Post by Shum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:00 am

Do you have examples of songs with lyrics that you try and relate to OP?

3za

Post by 3za » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 am

2 keyboards 1 computer
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.

jrisreal

Post by jrisreal » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:11 am

^^ I read in the description that it supposedly causes kids to commit suicide or think suicidal thoughts.
...in my opinion
ImageImageImage

3za

Post by 3za » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:17 am

Someones got to stop these Skrillex fans :twisted:
2 keyboards 1 computer
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.

jrisreal

Post by jrisreal » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:20 am

You evil little... :6: :4:
...in my opinion
ImageImageImage

3za

Post by 3za » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:24 am

This remix is good;
Soundcloud

This one not so much;
2 keyboards 1 computer

bassbum

Post by bassbum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:39 am

jrisreal wrote:You seem to have a recurring issue with spelling things right...particularly "grate" is actually "great" in the context in which you are using it. Not trying to bag on you, rather simply letting you know.

That aside, I agree with you. And while subliminal messages are illegal, people use them constantly in advertisement, music, etc.
Yer I know I have dyslexia so even if I try to remember how to spell a word I will just forget. I do try, I have a spell checker on my browser but with things like choosing between grate and great its no help.

Sometimes I do learn how to spell new words and remember forever, hopefully this will be on of thos times.

bassbum

Post by bassbum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 am

Shum wrote:Do you have examples of songs with lyrics that you try and relate to OP?
Stuff like this when I was way younger.

This also happens to be the sort of thing that could be bad for you.

Skrew

Post by Skrew » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:00 am

9/11 was an inside job.
James Holmes shooting was an inside job.
Jay Z & Beyonce run the illuminati.
All songs are the devil when played backwards.
I'm cool for being a conspiracy cigarette.
The only song that provokes suicide is Stupid Hoe.
I am a sex machine ready to reload;
Like an atom bomb about to oh oh oh oh oh explode.

dickman69

Post by dickman69 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:29 am

Skrew wrote:Jay Z & Beyonce run the illuminati.
david stern runs the illuminati
every Tuesday 11pm EST on http://cosmicsound.club

buy my tunes pls
Soundcloud

cheshirebeats

Post by cheshirebeats » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:39 am

Haha you should check out Boards of Canada, they're all about the power of music, subliminal messaging etc.
Its harder to do with audio stimuli than visual because the way we perceive sound is a little more complex (IMO), but its the same thing: you present an association enough times and it'll take hold in your mind.

Case and point: the retail world. Its a commonly known fact that playing the right music in your store will actually affect the way that people shop and the amount of product they buy.
Play french music in a wine store and they will sell more french wine. Play italian music and they sell more italian wine.

This kind of thing is also why I have a bit of a problem with pop music (and when I say pop I include most EDM)... All its doing is reinforcing our way of thinking. EDM doesn't really offer anything new, at least feeling-wise. There are a few artists that are pushing boundaries but its mostly just recycling the same concepts again and again. East coast sample based hip hop is recycling soul; brostep is recycling metal, and house music was initially recycling disco and making it more danceable. This is also something that bugs me about people that only listen to one genre or one kind of music... If you can expand your mind by seeking a variety of experiences, then you can also narrow your mind by only seeking one. Its actually hurting our society at large to be so musically narrow-minded, IMO. (This whole paragraph comes with a really big IMO)

When you start asking these kind of questions you begin to delve into a whole world of problems; what is music? What is noise? Where do you draw the line?
Sound in general has extraordinary power. I love listening to albums all the way through because at the end of it I've kind of entered the album's headspace....
I'm a huge Boards of Canada fanboy so I'm going to recommend you listen to their album "geogaddi" with the lights off in your room, and see where it takes you : )

/very-opinionated-controversial-post

bassbum

Post by bassbum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:28 pm

What bugs me is that we are programing our kids with the pop music they listen to.

I hate that kids brains are developing in a way that says SWAG and good looks are the most important things in life. I dont even want to think what listening to Grime music dose to kids. This whole gangster mentality is stupid. Hiphop is just as bad. Look at Giggs, all of his songs are .glorifying selling drugs and not just weed but crack and heroin. There where 6 or 7 people in my school year the ended up selling hard drugs like crack and heroin and they are all in jail, someone should rap about that.

The thing that pisses me off the most about those types of music is the way people end up speaking after they listen to it. That gangster slang and accent. Ok its one thing to use a bit of slang with your mates, I do sometimes but you need to be able to talk properly as well and that includes the accent. I know people that speak like that so much, when they are in a formal environment they try and talk normally but cant. If you talk like that in a job interview your not getting the job unless its for a building site or some shit clothes store. In fact in my town I dont even think the people who work on the tills in Mcdonalds speak like that. I sat in on a bunch of interviews at my last job and a few people came in talking like that, there interviews lasted 10minits and other peoples lasted 30-40 minits. Also if I bring someone important home to meet my family I dont want them to here my kids speaking like that.

samurai

Post by samurai » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:40 pm

everything influences everybody. the colour of your room influences. what you eat. if it's raining outside. everything. different things will be more influential than others. additionally certain things will have a more profound affect on certain individuals than on others.

a lot of people tend to create art that is a reflection on their environment. talking about swag all the time is only natural for a lot of people since our entire society is driven by capitalism and defining yourself by wealth and what you own. wanting traits which society deems as desirable can hardly be seen as surprising.

even in your above post you talk about how if you don't talk "properly" you will only get a job on a building site or some "shit cloths store", thereby implying that these are not desirable positions.

none of this is related to production.

Efrafa11

Post by Efrafa11 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:03 am

bassbum wrote:What bugs me is that we are programing our kids with the pop music they listen to.

I hate that kids brains are developing in a way that says SWAG and good looks are the most important things in life. I dont even want to think what listening to Grime music dose to kids. This whole gangster mentality is stupid. Hiphop is just as bad. Look at Giggs, all of his songs are .glorifying selling drugs and not just weed but crack and heroin. There where 6 or 7 people in my school year the ended up selling hard drugs like crack and heroin and they are all in jail, someone should rap about that.

The thing that pisses me off the most about those types of music is the way people end up speaking after they listen to it. That gangster slang and accent. Ok its one thing to use a bit of slang with your mates, I do sometimes but you need to be able to talk properly as well and that includes the accent. I know people that speak like that so much, when they are in a formal environment they try and talk normally but cant. If you talk like that in a job interview your not getting the job unless its for a building site or some shit clothes store. In fact in my town I dont even think the people who work on the tills in Mcdonalds speak like that. I sat in on a bunch of interviews at my last job and a few people came in talking like that, there interviews lasted 10minits and other peoples lasted 30-40 minits. Also if I bring someone important home to meet my family I dont want them to here my kids speaking like that.
I don't know about this though.
while I agree emotions and images of music are powerful
my group of friends listened to shit from the likes of dystopia to necro to dre in middleschool
yet we were the most well spoken kids in class.
Plus, I know plenty of savy well spoken hiphop folk growing up.
I find it's was usually the ones with underlying problems
that didn't or couldn't attend school much who are not very well spoken.

Anywho, Another supposed suicide song.

and i'll drink myself to death or at least i'll drink myself to sleep
and chainsmoke my way through the gaps in between my aspirations and my apathy.

street_legal

Post by street_legal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:01 am

samurai wrote: none of this is related to production.
little boh peep wrote:If you take out the "dub", by definition it is no longer dubstep.
moodswing wrote: Imagine an acoustic band on a stage and all of them standing directly in front of each other. I'd love to hear how to eq that.

crunkedxup

Post by crunkedxup » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:31 pm

reverse that lavender town tune, its amazing. sampled it backwards in one of my first ever beats (back when FL stock sounded good to me)

twilitez

Post by twilitez » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:19 pm

While you make some good points, you mention lyrics a couple of times. Most the music discussed on this board doesnt have any of those so how does that change things?

bassbum

Post by bassbum » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:23 pm

twilitez wrote:While you make some good points, you mention lyrics a couple of times. Most the music discussed on this board doesnt have any of those so how does that change things?
Sorry to be a prick but the title of this thread is not thoughts on music the few people on this forum listen to.

This thread was just about some ideas that where running round in my head. The main idea being, what impact dose listening to the same music over and over have on the way think and our mood?