What is the difference between a Reese and a Supersaw?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Climax

What is the difference between a Reese and a Supersaw?

Post by Climax » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Arent they both just two ways of saying multiple detuned saw waves?

I feel like people get confused they think "reese" is some complicated setup... I dont see the difference... its like 4x4 people dont want to use the same name as dub/dnb people lol unless there is something im missing...

Today

Re: What is the difference between a Reese and a Supersaw?

Post by Today » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:17 pm

a reese is a bass/lead made from detuned saws and a LPF

"supersaw" is just a wavetable/waveform

if you made a pad with it, it wouldn't be a reese. if you made a reese with it, it would
simple really
dubstep Soundcloud

rock
Soundcloud

Climax

Post by Climax » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:33 pm

I see what youre saying...

I guess ive always tried to "make my own" supersaw's... I didnt realize it was just a waveform on an old Roland synth that people try to recreate using multiple Osc's

from what im reading it was just one Waveform that emulated a stack of Saws (some people say 7 which is pretty gnar) ... so now people take multiple Oscs and try to get the same effect of that original Waveform

cool beans

bassinine

Post by bassinine » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:03 pm

a reese is two or three slightly detuned saw waves. this makes it slowly modulate because the wave are on slightly different cycles. the change in the sound is noticeable, as it goes between a classic saw wave sound and a supersaw sound.

a supersaw does not modulate, since it has basically 5-10 saw waves all detuned. this results in the modulations not being noticeable over time - and results in more of a 'wall of sound.'

wormcode

Post by wormcode » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Then there's also the hoover aka mentasm which is another different thing, but related as it too was a staple sound in dnb and techno and created in a similar way.
Also a reese is not limited to saws btw, plenty use pulse or a mixture.
And Viruses also have hypersaw oscs which has even more detuned saws than the old supersaw.
SuperWave P8 is/was pretty much the flagship supersaw/JP8000/8080 emulator and it's free.

bassinine

Post by bassinine » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:43 pm

yeah... that didn't really answer his question though. and yeah, i've got a virus ti, it's supersaw is THE supersaw - and you can set the number of saw waves, up to like 10+ and how far apart the pitch is spread.

wormcode

Post by wormcode » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 pm

His Q was already answered, just throwing more info in the thread, and so he can check out supersaws in action with Superwave

Climax

Post by Climax » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:24 pm

wormcode wrote:His Q was already answered, just throwing more info in the thread, and so he can check out supersaws in action with Superwave

Yeah bruv thanks!

I am def gonna check out that Superwave P8 when I get home if I can find it :4:

wormcode

Post by wormcode » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Climax wrote:
wormcode wrote:His Q was already answered, just throwing more info in the thread, and so he can check out supersaws in action with Superwave
Yeah bruv thanks!
I am def gonna check out that Superwave P8 when I get home if I can find it :4:
No worries. Btw it's here on the bottom, along with some other great software: http://www.superwavesynths.co.uk/products.htm
Also I just remembered this one, but there's no real programming options: http://music.service-1.de/html/superfak ... k_vst.html