Gear lust

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
nowaysj

Re: Gear lust

Post by nowaysj » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:26 pm

$50 beatstep. If one of you chaps wants it, let me know, otherwise, I might go for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arturia-Beatste ... NA:US:3160
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

mks

Post by mks » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:55 pm

Go for it. It will be cool little step sequencer even with midi.

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:09 am

Doesn't respond to start messages, no midi in. Maybe I'll just stick with tenori... I'm also saving up for kind of my final bit of kit, a nice reverb/multifx.
Join Me
Soundcloud

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:39 pm

That beatstep didn't even sell for $50.
Join Me
Soundcloud

Ray_Bwoan

Post by Ray_Bwoan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:20 pm

Beatstep v1 is kinda garbage and since the v2 as a big brother came at namm.. :D

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:35 pm

bs1 is okay, but I think the price may end up around 30....
Join Me
Soundcloud

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Dude just relisted for $50 again. Don't you have to pay for listings? Homie is losing money every time. Just list it for $30, and I'll buy the damn thing.

======================

Okay, so was just having a moment with god and the mountains, finally saw a doctor in my new state, resume treatment and diagnosis, and all that, couldn't be in a better mood, or so I thought, I pull up to my house, and sitting on the doorstep is a package with two Western Digital 1tb drives. I'm like YES! I can restart my sample collection (I wonder what the next 20 years will bring), start recording my daughter again, start shooting some videos again, YAHOO! Can install win 7 for a dual boot, can use maschine now...

So I come in my house, open the front door pick up the box, go into my house and the box slips out of my hand and drops to the hard travertine tile floor... FUCK! Two hard drives...

I really feel like me making music is against the will of god. Is it my pride and vanity that causes me to persist? I feel like it is in my soul to make music.

Tough to rectify.
Join Me
Soundcloud

Samuel_L_Damnson

Post by Samuel_L_Damnson » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:38 pm

Some one is trying to fuck u over.
Soundcloud
Collaborative project with kai li:
http://soundcloud.com/genrli

mks

Post by mks » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:42 am

Hopefully it was packaged well.

And you are one of those people who can't not do music. We've been doing it our whole lives.

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:52 am

Absolutely. I've tried to quit a couple of times. I just freak out. I picked up a doctorate from late 03 to 07, it was super super intense, it is literally like I have a memory hole from that time, like I don't know anything that happened in the world, I remember hearing about Katrina, like what, there was a hurricane? Also had my daughter at the same time, and that kid didn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time for 2 years, was also working... was really intense, but I stopped making and LISTENING to music. I remember driving up the 110, used to live on Mt. Washington in LA, listening to some music and just bawling.

I just can't stop. So having my studio in boxes is killing me. I was like I'm not going to do anything until I get the studio up, as motivation, but I just couldn't hold back, I had the ipad, into a pre, into comp, into 4 track, like just rack units laying on my desk... It let some of the pressure out.

I really need to get it together, I've been running around doing all kinds of other shit, and not in the best health. I'm getting closer. I think I have everything mostly racked up... though I have more stuff arriving... and that's right, I need to build some rack ears for those 163x's, they're half rack units... on one of them, the dude has a couple of WOOD screws holding a rack ear in place... ghetto motherfucker. I can't imagine how deep those screws go, and what they're touching in there...

But I've got a 3630 coming. So have to rack that. Oh shit, and the behringer ada 8200.

I haven't patched anything though. I've been dreading it. Was doing diagrams tonight... The trick now is I've got a bunch of sound processors, compressors, pre, eq, fx, and all that is racked on my desk, but then I'm planning on having a table to the right of me, with all my sound sources. Two to three samplers, a microkorg, virus b, tenori, maybe maschine. But they're all going to be on another table, with a patchbay of their own. I can't figure out how to interface that table/instruments with the other patch bay. See, I have those synths and samplers, so I like to patch around there, like patch synth into sampler, then patch that sampler into another sampler, but then ultimately, I've got to get all that stuff over to the desk/racks for processing and digitization into the computer. Maybe I'll have the behringer ADA over there, and that's where I'll digitize all that stuff...

If anybody wants to come over and design my studio, all the audio, the power, the midi, the sound treatment. That would be great. I could make you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and teach you to shoot long range rifles.
Join Me
Soundcloud

mks

Post by mks » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:00 am

Redesigning your studio can be fun. I'm about to do it again soon. I need to get out of this apartment.

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:41 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

What do you lusters say to a kp3+ minty for $240 shipped?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Join Me
Soundcloud

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:52 pm

And it is gone just like that.
Join Me
Soundcloud

fragments

Post by fragments » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:59 pm

nowaysj wrote:
fragments wrote:I guess my issue is...my OTB mixes sound pretty damn good (IMO) when I record just a stereo track of a whole song to the computer. But if I record each instrument separately and try to mix in the box things seem to turn out complete shit. And I just don't get it. I can take the same mix OTB...record one stereo track...sounds good. Record each part and combine the tracks ITB, sounds like a fooking mess : (
Well this is a tough one. A paramount consideration is to know the truth. It is hard. What is really happening? I think people that make really quality work do so because they know what is happening. The see/hear what is really going on. A lot of time ego is in the way, we can't perceive the truth because or own self perception is in the way. Really tough one to get past.

So what is really going on here? Two spheres, there is actually something physically going on, or is there something emotional/intellectual/workflow that is different. What do you think:

Physical:
1. Summing in the mixer rather than in the box.
2. Timing issues with your midi or audio I/O.
3. Noise/poor sound quality from your channel level outputs, rather than superior sound quality of master/tape whatever out.
4. Different quality inputs on your audio io, or your AD doesn't sound that good so stacks up for fog/haze.
5. Virtual devices don't sound as good as hardware.

Workflow:
1. The mix devices you use in virtual land.
2. More options = more problems.
3. Push sounds too far.
4. Use your eyes rather than hands and ears.
5. Too easy to loop, causing physical/emotional ear fatigue.

This is from forever ago. I apologize and am grateful for your thoughts nowaysj. Yea, knowing the truth is difficult and ego does get in the way. If I'm honest one issue is probably cabling. Cabling is pretty well hidden but still a mess. I imagine cables twisted around cables isn't good. Also, I pay zero attention to balanced versus unbalanced. I know this can't be good.

When I'm recording a sound, I don't really fiddle with levels much at the instrument, at the mixer, or at the input/pre amp. I usually just go for it. This seems like poor practice to me.

I do think that once I'm getting ITB, that I'm probably doing things to the sounds that make the noise worse (reverb, delay, various time based FX). I have been playing with gates and EQ pre-FX to try and solve some of this.

At the time yes, ear fatigue could easily be a possibility as well as loop-itis--heard it so many times I hear things even an avid listener wouldn't hear.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:53 pm

I do have issues with balanced/unbalanced. I try to do all balanced. All my bays are balanced, i/o balanced, compressors (rnc isn't, am I right, yeah I think I am), pre's, eq... but some of my gear is not, sp404sx, microsampler. Think the mc909 is, don't recall. Btw, I took out the mc909 to count the outputs, previously I ran it digitally through spdif, which I'm not going to be doing because I just got in the ada 8200, yay! which will be running through the 1616m's lightpipe which on my interface shuts down the spdif connetion... uhm what was I talking about, yeah, the mc909... that thing is kind of beasty. It is one of those things, it has some critical flaws. Like some junior engineer was on a component of the workflow, and really screwed the pooch. But, as an individual device in a consortium of devices, I think I'm going to make some really cool sounds with this thing.

But balanced... yeah that is an issue, but then people say it isn't an issue...

One issue I have is I got two 8 x 1/4inch snakes with the ACP-8, they're trs on one end, and ts on the other... I guess I lose my balancing? I don't have enough patch cables to wire up 2 48 point patchbays... so I need more cabling, but I'm loath to buy more... but the behringer only outputs on xlr, so I guess I'm going to need xlr to trs cables to patch into the bays anyway, so I'll be ordering... might as well order some more 1/4 trs patch cables...

I apologize for these stream of consciousness studio designing posts. They're really for the 12 unregistered guests who maybe will someday realize that making music with software is not the end all be all.

=======

But listen, listen to this part, the above, skip, except for sharing angst over balancing.

Get your sounds right at the source. Get each instrument to output at their amps sweetspot. If you're coming into preamps, get them at their sweetspot. I've now got 'midas' pre's on the ada, but they're not really adjustable. Just gain. But on the MPA II Pre - I've got input gain and output gain. That input gain determines how hard you drive the tube, so you can gain up for some compression/distortion, and then gain down at the output stage, this is GREAT! Gut if you've just got gain on your pre's, go full and loud without noise or distortion.

I believe in inline compression. Nothing extreme, but just a slight taming of peaks and a leveling of of volume. AND eq'ing if you've got them. Not finish eq'ing, but definitely take out the shit you don't need before the converters. Take out the lowend with a low cut. Maybe take out the mid/low mid body just to thin it out a bit. You'll probably do it later itb, but if you're summing in the mixer, best to get all that stuff scooped out before the summing.

I'm not a sound fanatic. I mean, I like to get the sounds I like, but I don't chase sounds endlessly, my ears aren't that great. The stuff that I'm talking about takes like a minute per instrument, nothing special. Just do it, get it done, and then get on with it. Part of that is listening though, getting to know sound. I find it hard still. I like way too much body from my instruments. You know that stuff builds up quick. So sometimes you have to do counter-intuitive shit, like cut the lows and mid/low mid out of sounds, and they absolutely will sound worse for it. Hearing it and taking it away is going to feel like you're damaging your sound, but the MIX will sound much better for it. Hard one to learn.

Also, if you work with less sounds, and sounds that are distant from other sounds in the freq spectrum, your task gets easier, and sounds can be bigger, louder, more full and present.

Anyway. Get it right at the source. Most modern gear should put out plenty of gain. You shouldn't need much of anything from your mixer's pres.

Try to run balanced if you can. If so, make sure your inputs are set to receive balanced signals.

That balanced thing does stress me out. Bob Katz saying mastering should be done unbalanced doesn't help my understanding at all.

======

What do you think about an kp3+, + mind you, for $240 shipped. I feel like I let it get away. Something inside me doubt the kp3+ for a second, but I'm a performance dude, like, I write through performance, through body, through hands. I get so flat and boring in the daw. I really think the kp3+ is my type of fx unit. Feel like I should have gone for it.

Anybody have good sources for adat light pipes? Mine are... a few years older than that song in my sig. I should update...
Join Me
Soundcloud

fragments

Post by fragments » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:15 pm

I think the RNC is unbalanced : )

Yes. I'm going to be just that moments worth more meticulous about EQ, compression and gain staging before I go in the box. Just as an example...if I cut the lows before I hit the pre-amps on my interface I'm already getting more head room for the frequencies that matter, therefore better recording? Or at least I can push more signal?

Right now I've only got pre-amps with gain. But I think I'm going to stop using the line ins unless I'm trying to track a whole mix at once and use the pre-amps on the MOTU 828 for everything. I think the way I'm going to be working for my next project will be recording individual parts anyway.

I'm honestly not rewiring my whole studio at this point to worry about balanced/unbalanced cables. If I do that I'll loose the little mojo I've built so far. It can just be a bit lo fi if need be! I've got too many jobs in the studio already and being creative feels like its always on the back burner. I need a fucking intern!

-----------------------

I like your studio building stream of consciousness rants. I'm pretty sure I mostly read them word for word.

KP3: I paid 186 for mine in 2013. Yes, you would love it if you are a performance guy. I haven't rigged mine up yet for this, but you can launch one shot samples from via MIDI from another device as well. And if you get a KP3+ you can use the X/Y pad as a MIDI controller.

Mine is not a + though.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:21 pm

OH FUCK

:q: :q: :q:

Kind of just accidentally bought a Prophet 08 PE.

Oh shit.

Anybody wanna buy some old socks?

I've got some batteries I could sell...
Join Me
Soundcloud

rockonin

Post by rockonin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:49 pm

I'll buy the socks, on the condition that you return to the secret ninja hideout. :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/rockonin
ehbes wrote:I'll remember that when City wins the league :W:

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:59 pm

Deal.

Those socks are gonna run you $1,400 AMERICAN.

It's a discount really.
Join Me
Soundcloud

mks

Post by mks » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:02 pm

Oh shit! That is some $$$

Did you get the keyboard or module?
Last edited by mks on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.