Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Gear lust

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby ezza » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:14 pm

safe lads

is it right to say the three main types os synthesis are subtractive, additive and fm?

i know theres loads more new ones now but they were the fundamentals innit?
DiegoSapiens wrote:thats so industrial

soronery wrote:New low
User avatar
ezza
THE POOREST
 
Posts:
9934
Joined:
Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:19 pm
Location:
brizzy

Postby Samuel_L_Damnson » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:49 pm

yea probs. like u say there are lots but those are the most common principles. additive synths might include hammond organs and stuff etc so are more common than u would expect.
User avatar
Samuel_L_Damnson
 
Posts:
3485
Joined:
Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:53 am
Location:
YORKSHIRE!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nowaysj » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Wavetable?
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
https://soundcloud.com/cc74/mks-keytar-porno-fantasy
User avatar
nowaysj
 
Posts:
23281
Joined:
Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:11 am
Location:
Mountain Fortress

Postby soronery » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:05 pm

would put granular in that list as well
Image

DiegoSapiens wrote:
zoronery frees the realness

DiegoSapiens wrote:
cheers coronary

_ronzlo_ wrote:
BIG UP YOSELF HAN SORO
User avatar
soronery
 
Posts:
1642
Joined:
Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 am
Location:
Pyongyang

Postby nowaysj » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:06 pm

cyclopian wrote:
nowaysj wrote:
cyclopian wrote:They are the kinda guys that want ya to get in contact with them for these kind of things (I know its a very strange thing in our internet age hehe)

propaganda@dubsalive.com

[+] Spoiler
check this clip of them playing live (with matty g guesting on the drums)

proper local artist vibes


Okay, Matty G is on stage, he has drumsticks in his hands, but is he really playing the drums?


not sure what ya mean, its an electronic drum kit if thats what you're whinging about



The beat is not synched up when he is hitting the drums. Like he is playing the set, but it doesn't do anything to the beat. Maybe I'm tripping, though that has never happened before. :lol:
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
https://soundcloud.com/cc74/mks-keytar-porno-fantasy
User avatar
nowaysj
 
Posts:
23281
Joined:
Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:11 am
Location:
Mountain Fortress

Postby hubb » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:07 pm

ezza wrote:safe lads

is it right to say the three main types os synthesis are subtractive, additive and fm?

i know theres loads more new ones now but they were the fundamentals innit?


yeah but mention the other ones too like granular imo
OGLemon wrote:cowabunga dude

https://soundcloud.com/qloo/cowabunga-music-of-moby
fragments wrote:SWEEEEEEEEE!

https://soundcloud.com/qloo/cowabunga-t ... o-sweeeeee
Johnlenham wrote:evil euroland
User avatar
hubb
 
Posts:
8823
Joined:
Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:24 pm
Location:
ÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅ

Postby fragments » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:16 pm

ezza wrote:safe lads

is it right to say the three main types os synthesis are subtractive, additive and fm?

i know theres loads more new ones now but they were the fundamentals innit?


Most modern samplers are practically synths w/ all their sound sculpting abilities. Depending on the purpose of the list, seems an over sight to leave this out.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.
User avatar
fragments
 
Posts:
3552
Joined:
Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:24 pm
Location:
NEOhio

Postby ezza » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:21 pm

the first part of my dissertation is on synthesis

probably just leave it out if i cant single out a couple main types

done a bit on modular and hard-wired

might just go into each different bit next so like, oscilator, filter, envelope etc

im so fucked :lol: my knowledge is so limited and im writing about synths like its a gcse textbook ffs
DiegoSapiens wrote:thats so industrial

soronery wrote:New low
User avatar
ezza
THE POOREST
 
Posts:
9934
Joined:
Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:19 pm
Location:
brizzy

Postby RKM » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:31 pm

don't forget photosynthesis, very important these days
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
RKM
 
Posts:
4742
Joined:
Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:57 am

Postby soronery » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:37 pm

ezza wrote:the first part of my dissertation is on synthesis

probably just leave it out if i cant single out a couple main types

done a bit on modular and hard-wired

might just go into each different bit next so like, oscilator, filter, envelope etc

im so fucked :lol: my knowledge is so limited and im writing about synths like its a gcse textbook ffs



Can you stick it on here when you're finished, sounds like an interesting read :Q:
Image

DiegoSapiens wrote:
zoronery frees the realness

DiegoSapiens wrote:
cheers coronary

_ronzlo_ wrote:
BIG UP YOSELF HAN SORO
User avatar
soronery
 
Posts:
1642
Joined:
Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 am
Location:
Pyongyang

Postby nowaysj » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:48 pm

ezza wrote:im so fucked :lol: my knowledge is so limited and im writing about synths like its a gcse textbook ffs


Just fake it till you make it, but I don't need to tell you that.
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
https://soundcloud.com/cc74/mks-keytar-porno-fantasy
User avatar
nowaysj
 
Posts:
23281
Joined:
Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:11 am
Location:
Mountain Fortress

Postby cyclopian » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:02 pm

nowaysj wrote:
cyclopian wrote:
nowaysj wrote:
cyclopian wrote:They are the kinda guys that want ya to get in contact with them for these kind of things (I know its a very strange thing in our internet age hehe)

propaganda@dubsalive.com

[+] Spoiler
check this clip of them playing live (with matty g guesting on the drums)

proper local artist vibes


Okay, Matty G is on stage, he has drumsticks in his hands, but is he really playing the drums?


not sure what ya mean, its an electronic drum kit if thats what you're whinging about



The beat is not synched up when he is hitting the drums. Like he is playing the set, but it doesn't do anything to the beat. Maybe I'm tripping, though that has never happened before. :lol:


I really dun know what you're on about haha the drum pads are clearly making sounds when he hits them with the drum sticks.
:middlefinger:
User avatar
cyclopian
 
Posts:
1275
Joined:
Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:28 am
Location:
Oakland, CA

Postby fragments » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:08 pm

ezza wrote:the first part of my dissertation is on synthesis

probably just leave it out if i cant single out a couple main types

done a bit on modular and hard-wired

might just go into each different bit next so like, oscilator, filter, envelope etc

im so fucked :lol: my knowledge is so limited and im writing about synths like its a gcse textbook ffs


Good luck man :lol: I'll never ruin something I love again by studying it academically :6:
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.
User avatar
fragments
 
Posts:
3552
Joined:
Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:24 pm
Location:
NEOhio

Postby ezza » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:37 pm

nowaysj wrote:
ezza wrote:im so fucked :lol: my knowledge is so limited and im writing about synths like its a gcse textbook ffs


Just fake it till you make it, but I don't need to tell you that.


i could get a 1st in that

this shit is just too sciencey though. like bare graphs n shit and numbers. allow yourself books

and yeah fragments... i loathe anything audio related now :lol:

ive also stopped making music and pretty much stoped listening and dj'ing too

its a shame. hopefully get my love back after ive sacked it off for a year or two when i finish
DiegoSapiens wrote:thats so industrial

soronery wrote:New low
User avatar
ezza
THE POOREST
 
Posts:
9934
Joined:
Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:19 pm
Location:
brizzy

Postby fragments » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:47 pm

^I studied writing at the graduate level...kept after it when I finished school for about 16 months...then took something like a 5 year break...a few little, creative things and some freelance professional writing during that period...but nothing solid creatively...that is also the time when I dove head first into learning how to make music with synths and drum machines so I was fairly distracted...it'll come back to you though : )

I finally started a project which combines music and words so I'm pretty stoked about that. And I'll be damned if any of those tight assed academics get their grubby hands on a demo or a free copy when its finished... :lol:



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Also...thinking DSI Tetra w/ iPad App editor or Lemur might be next....four voice analog which can also double as a four voice analog drum machine with individual outs...seen lots of 'em go for 500USD on eBay recently...plus I've already got the iPad.

But I'm going to wait and see whats up at MusikMee (spl?!). Come on PolyBrute!
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.
User avatar
fragments
 
Posts:
3552
Joined:
Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:24 pm
Location:
NEOhio

Postby nowaysj » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:34 am

cyclopian wrote:I really dun know what you're on about haha the drum pads are clearly making sounds when he hits them with the drum sticks.


Yeah, watched it again, alls well. Think the first time, the sound was way off the vid. Have been having troubles with ffx 36 and flash. My bad. :oops:
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
https://soundcloud.com/cc74/mks-keytar-porno-fantasy
User avatar
nowaysj
 
Posts:
23281
Joined:
Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:11 am
Location:
Mountain Fortress

Postby nowaysj » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:42 am

fragments wrote:Also...thinking DSI Tetra w/ iPad App editor or Lemur might be next....four voice analog which can also double as a four voice analog drum machine with individual outs...seen lots of 'em go for 500USD on eBay recently...plus I've already got the iPad.

But I'm going to wait and see whats up at MusikMee (spl?!). Come on PolyBrute!


This dude, you gots to get THIS:
Image
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
https://soundcloud.com/cc74/mks-keytar-porno-fantasy
User avatar
nowaysj
 
Posts:
23281
Joined:
Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:11 am
Location:
Mountain Fortress

Postby fragments » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:35 am

^Yea. I saw that as well. I've got to do some research. My initial scanning of the experiences out with it said there was some kind of issue with it? I'd certainly consider that though as iPad isn't really knobs :lol:

I was super glad to be rid of the Mopho desktop because of programming it, but I've been missing the Dave Smith sound in my setup. Dat Curtis filter!
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.
User avatar
fragments
 
Posts:
3552
Joined:
Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:24 pm
Location:
NEOhio

Postby soronery » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:48 am

fragments wrote:^Yea. I saw that as well. I've got to do some research. My initial scanning of the experiences out with it said there was some kind of issue with it? I'd certainly consider that though as iPad isn't really knobs :lol:


that does look pretty awesome

Image

does the bcr take the place of a sequencer in anyway or is just a controller, so you'd need something like a beatstep to sequence on?
Image

DiegoSapiens wrote:
zoronery frees the realness

DiegoSapiens wrote:
cheers coronary

_ronzlo_ wrote:
BIG UP YOSELF HAN SORO
User avatar
soronery
 
Posts:
1642
Joined:
Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 am
Location:
Pyongyang

Postby nowaysj » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:26 pm

In that setup, I THINK it is just control, but if you've got a second bcr (another $150) you've got Zaquencer:

Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
https://soundcloud.com/cc74/mks-keytar-porno-fantasy
User avatar
nowaysj
 
Posts:
23281
Joined:
Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:11 am
Location:
Mountain Fortress

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
PreviousNext

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical