Where are all the wannabe Pop Stars?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
+3

Where are all the wannabe Pop Stars?

Post by +3 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm moving away from production (10 years is long enough) toward mix engineering, and hopefully launching my own web service soon.

There seem to be no end of wannabe rappers out here, but I can't find ANY, not ONE single set of stems (or any songs at all) from Kesha/Katie Perry/Beiber style artists out there, but I know they must exist.

I realize you must do whatever you must to make money--if I'm doing Rap Mixtape Vocals for the rest of my career & its paying the light bills, I'll just have to accept that, but ultimately, I want to be mixing Top 40 style material.

Where are these people? How do I find them?
Does this demographic exist but just not know about Mix Engineers?

neonmansion

Re: Where are all the wannabe Pop Stars?

Post by neonmansion » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:40 pm

you're asking on a dubstepforum where you can find pop clients?

my guess would be that they are clearly searching the production forums of DSF for wannabe "top 40" mix engineers.

sorry if I come off like an asshole but i just spent the last 30 minutes filling out a radio shack questionaire so w/e

(and yes there are probably more wannabe rappers then pop singers.. probably because at the beginner level its easier to come up with OK raps then to sing convincingly)

+3

Post by +3 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:42 pm

Not necessarily clients, but at least Practice Stems.

And in the search for those stems, I realized I can't find ANY music from wannabe pop stars. There are plently of Youtube covers, but nobody making their own Kesha songs. Just a bunch of wannabe Lil Waynes.

Also, TONS of Rock Stems. Which is not my genre of choice or talent.

Aphile

Post by Aphile » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:56 pm

Over the past few weeks I've been studying Dr Luke more and more. He's a great songwriter and producer. Been contemplating mimicking his style. We're local +3. ;-)

wub

Post by wub » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:00 am

+3 wrote:Where are these people? How do I find them?
Find a local performing arts college, put a notice up on their bulletin board;

"Up & coming mix engineer seeks pop singer to expand knowledge base and develop sound. All styles welcome, all work credited"

Put your contact details at the bottom, should get a few hits off of it.

Gurnumsbug

Post by Gurnumsbug » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:23 am

I honestly don't know of a place to get the real stems from most pop artists..
Though I do know you can find lots of copycat versions..look for the midi people create!

+3

Post by +3 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:43 am

Aphile wrote:Over the past few weeks I've been studying Dr Luke more and more. He's a great songwriter and producer. Been contemplating mimicking his style. We're local +3. ;-)

Yeah Dr Luke is a BEAST

+3

Post by +3 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:44 am

wub wrote:

"Up & coming mix engineer seeks pop singer to expand knowledge base and develop sound. All styles welcome, all work credited"

Guess its worth a shot.

zeta

Post by zeta » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:52 am

+3 wrote:
wub wrote:

Guess its worth a shot.
Man I bet you'll be surprised at how many hits you get. My mate went to a music college to do a producing course and got sick of the attitude - EVERY ONE of the vocalists wanted to be the next big pop star.

Hopefully you'll get the 1 in 10 that's actually down to earth and not a diva...

skimpi

Post by skimpi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:36 am

So you want like a pop wanabee, to have someone to produce beats for them, and you just mix it down? or you want to produce for a pop star wanabee? Id have thought if some upstart is gonna be producing par beats for people, then they will mix it themselves, and if they are getting big, they will get super pro people to do it lol
TopManLurka wrote: thanks for confirming
OiOiii #BELTER