Starting out, what HW to look at for the wife and I

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
beefcake187

Starting out, what HW to look at for the wife and I

Post by beefcake187 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Ive read and read and read and I really appreciate all the FAQS and everything however I was wondering if anyone ever had to approach dubstep from the perspective of a husband and wife getting started together. I have zero music background with a considerable amount of technical knowledge. My wife has taken years of piano lessons and can play quite well, yet cannot install printer drivers.My PC hardware is exceptional, I have Abelton Live, and I need to know what to add for hardware. We have a MIDI mic for our daughter to add vocals.

I was looking at this originally for myself but now am thinking it would be better suited for my wife -

Akai Pro MKP Mini ~$70 (possibly thinking going up to larger keyboard, but this should be good for now esp. considering the other features)
http://www.amazon.com/Akai-Pro-MPK-mini/dp/B00466HM28

My cousin sent me these two links, and thinks that I would like them as I have no musical background and am not interested in formal training-

Novation Launchpad $120 (I want one just from watching the videos but it looks quite confusing)
http://www.amazon.com/Novation-Launchpa ... n+lauchpad

Midi Fighter Classic $125
https://store.djtechtools.com/midi-fighter.html

And then it seems like we would need some thing like this to mix everything into one sound and into an EQ or amp-

Numark MIXTRACK PRO DJ SOFTWARE CONTROLLER WITH AUDIO I/O $170
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00466 ... d_i=507846

What kind of advice do you give a couple looking to start learning dubstep? Is this equipment too heavy to start? It looks I can get the hardware pieces to get started for ~500. Computer is new, 8-core @ 4.2ghz, 8GB DDR3, etc. Running Win7 x86-64, Kubuntu linux 12.x x86-64 and now looks like Ill be needing OSX?

We both like the same dubstep.

Excision's 2012 Shambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQB6F1NopK4

First two guys here Nightmare & Oni http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvNuAlXdGl8

Any advice thanks in advance,

-beefcake187
Its not really yours until you void the warranty.

OfficialDAPT

Re: Starting out, what HW to look at for the wife and I

Post by OfficialDAPT » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Where'd you find her because I want one.
7 year old BROstep/Trapstep/Chillstep producer from India. Young. Talented. 7 Years Old. Super skilled for age. Signed to NOW22. Biography written in 3rd person on soundcloud OBVI. The next Skrillex. Wait I don't even like him anymore LOL. Super talented. Only 6 years old.

Genevieve

Post by Genevieve » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Wow, this is a unique thread hahaha. Welcome to DSF!

To start things off, you won't need that Numark Mixtrack, man. 'Mixing' in the DJ sense isn't the same as 'mixing' in the producing sense.

With DJ'ing, you you mix two existing tunes (either your own or someone else's.. off of records or files) together creatively. It's there to keep the dancefloor from going quiet. A performance tool.

When you're doing creating your track you mix it down to have everything sounding right and 'in place' (EQ'ing, volume, stereo width.

You're gunna be doing the latter to start things off with!

You can also use a MIDI keyboard just fine without formal training. Most of us here don't have formal training (I think?). At least I don't. And I have a keyboard. It's about having keys and having an idea where which sound is. So that AKAI pro mini is good because it covers all the basics (keys, pads, knobs). But if you don't mind a bigger budget, look into the Akai MPK 25 or 49. It's decent for a beginner AND pro and if you KNOW you want to produce, you won't have to buy a keyboard twice!

So I'd only get the keyboard at this point. But if you've been producing for a few months and know you wanna stick at it, you should get a pair of monitor speakers and an audio interface. An interface is essentially an external soundcard with more control and line in/out options. Monitors are speakers with a flat sound. They're not supposed to 'pretty it up' and give you an accurate representation of what's going on inside your computer so you can mix them down well and have them sound good on ANY system.

Also, you don't have to be a wiz at music theory and she doesn't have to be a star technician, but still try to learn from each other a little bit. Making electronic music requires some rudimentary feel for technique AND art and get a balance right to communicate what you hear inside your head into your DAW. And help communicate things to each other. I'm not saying know the scales or whatever, but don't try to rely each other COMPLETELY when it comes to technical skill or musical feel.

Hope this helps! Good luck :0
Last edited by Genevieve on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

namsayin

:'0

Head of the DSF Hebrew Awareness Society

dickman69

Post by dickman69 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05 pm

what in the fuck
every Tuesday 11pm EST on http://cosmicsound.club

buy my tunes pls
Soundcloud

SMOR3S

Post by SMOR3S » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05 pm

I recommend getting a midi keyboard, cause for me, most of my production is messing around with chord progression on the keys... I find it more soothing to physically touch keys, rather than always use the piano roll, in your DAW, even though Quantizing, and Time adjusting is a factor you need to learn...

+ you don't need a DJ controller to mix the sound together, unless your a mashup artists, or a sampler lol, but still...

Performing "Mixdowns", is just balancing out the sound, and melting it together, so it all fits, and doesn't clip, through the process of compression, eqing, limitng etc...

Defiantly look into getting a good audio setup first... Good headphones, monitors (speakers, not display...), soundcard/dac (digital to analog converter..).... Then worry about other things like midi controllers, launchpads w/e...

Learn your DAW, and don't think you need all these plugins like Massive, FM8 w/e, just cause people like Skrillex use it... I use Massive, but only cause I know how to make good sub bass with it... I use Live operator, but I am just familiar with Massive more... It's all preference, and w/e works best for your work flow...

mthrfnk

Post by mthrfnk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:11 pm

Best troll of 2012 award.

My newest music:
Soundcloud
Soundcloud

+3

Post by +3 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:14 pm

Definitely a nominee for "Most Unique Thread" 2012.

Also Hashtag #Winning, because you won the dating game too.

You’re on a roll man. :lol:

alphacat

Post by alphacat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Yeah, it's all hunky dory until a divorce and fighting over custody of the gear... :6:

You might wanna have a look at KVR and Future Producers audio forums too. There's no need for you to drop a ton of cash on hardware quite yet; work on getting to know the stuff ITB well (with good monitors) and general electronic music production techniques - synthesis & sampling - and then as the need for more outboard gear arises, which it always does, acquire it then.

You're doing your daughter a huge favor too BTW. :W:

3za

Post by 3za » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Dadstep Mrk2.
2 keyboards 1 computer
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.

alphacat

Post by alphacat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:01 pm

3za wrote:Dadstep Mrk2.
Image :peel: :bins:

3za

Post by 3za » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:11 pm

2 keyboards 1 computer
Sure_Fire wrote:By the way does anyone have the stems to make it bun dem? Missed the beatport comp and would very much like the ego booster of saying I remixed Skrillex.

beefcake187

Post by beefcake187 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:43 am

LOL. Love the trophy.

OK so I like the idea of the smaller 25/49 key boards from Akai. The problem is unless I get 2 of them we are each going to be fighting over who gets to practice/play. I think I will start with the Akai MPK 25 mini. As soon as I get an excuse Im going to grab that Launchpad. Hopefully when Sally slows down she can pick out a good 88 key MIDI for her and the girls and then I can get something the MININOVA http://us.novationmusic.com/hardware-synths/mininova or a MASCHINE http://www.native-instruments.com/#/pro ... /maschine/.

Thanks for all the help everyone. If anyone can think of anything outside of Abelton Live (full) and the Akai MPK mini that would help me get started (software or hardware)? I have good wireless stereo phones I can use for now (they are very good, but eat AAA batts.). Also I am just using my 2.1 computer sound externally. I have a 7.1 internal sound driver. Probably intel. Optical out (as well as standard 6x1.5mm header block) , HDMI, DVI, DB15 video out. I have an additional 19" LCD and an unused 32". With these software package(s) how many end up with multi-headed display?

Now that I have this MPK 25 mini on its way, and I have the computer and Abelton all set up nice and good, I still have a bunch of gift cards from Best Buy. I guess its a toss up between good headphones and good "real" speakers/monitors. The Turtle Beach phones are great now that I have rechargeable AAA bats. So what kind of speakers/monitors are good for entry level? I do not have a regular home audio sub (yet). My powered sub was nuked a few years ago and condo life has left me with little to no options as far as bass is concerned.

Thanks a ton for all the advice! Ill have to scan something and post it so you know this is real.
Its not really yours until you void the warranty.

ill mindset

Post by ill mindset » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:30 am

beefcake187 wrote:LOL. Love the trophy.

OK so I like the idea of the smaller 25/49 key boards from Akai. The problem is unless I get 2 of them we are each going to be fighting over who gets to practice/play. I think I will start with the Akai MPK 25 mini. As soon as I get an excuse Im going to grab that Launchpad. Hopefully when Sally slows down she can pick out a good 88 key MIDI for her and the girls and then I can get something the MININOVA http://us.novationmusic.com/hardware-synths/mininova or a MASCHINE http://www.native-instruments.com/#/pro ... /maschine/.

Thanks for all the help everyone. If anyone can think of anything outside of Abelton Live (full) and the Akai MPK mini that would help me get started (software or hardware)? I have good wireless stereo phones I can use for now (they are very good, but eat AAA batts.). Also I am just using my 2.1 computer sound externally. I have a 7.1 internal sound driver. Probably intel. Optical out (as well as standard 6x1.5mm header block) , HDMI, DVI, DB15 video out. I have an additional 19" LCD and an unused 32". With these software package(s) how many end up with multi-headed display?

Now that I have this MPK 25 mini on its way, and I have the computer and Abelton all set up nice and good, I still have a bunch of gift cards from Best Buy. I guess its a toss up between good headphones and good "real" speakers/monitors. The Turtle Beach phones are great now that I have rechargeable AAA bats. So what kind of speakers/monitors are good for entry level? I do not have a regular home audio sub (yet). My powered sub was nuked a few years ago and condo life has left me with little to no options as far as bass is concerned.

Thanks a ton for all the advice! Ill have to scan something and post it so you know this is real.
Now you need to start using the search function. All of this info has been discussed to death.

Maxxan

Post by Maxxan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:49 am

I don't care if the dude isn't using the search function, more couples should do shit like this together. Kudos to you both man, if this isn't some fucked up troll post. If so then it's the worst troll post ever.

I'd say start with a pair of speakers, to me it's more enjoyable than producing on headphones and also you can both listen at the same time. You could start off with a pair of studio monitors and an audio interface but at the end of the day you're going to do fine with a pair of decent speakers that you think sound good when listening to music. It's going to be a while before your ears are at the point where you'll notice the difference anyway and by then you'll be able to figure it out by yourself.

All my tunes are mixed on a pair of shitty $100 speakers. Not saying that the mix is amazing but it's going to be good enough for you to enjoy producing on anyway, most likely.

But yeah, get off Best Buy and start producing man. You got all you need, unless you get stuck because you're missing something.
Hircine wrote:dsf is like bane: throws you into a pit and if you are able to crawl out of it on your own, you are good enough for the forum.
Soundcloud

Freshest track atm.