What is your favourite modulation system to use?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Drag and drop - NI Massive, FAW Circle
28
65%
Virtual cables, Arturia Modular V, U-He ACE, Propellerhead Reason (using CV cables)
3
7%
Point and click - Vember Audio Surge
0
No votes
Menu based - Camel Audio Alchemy
2
5%
Modulation matrix - RP Albino, RP Predator, Zeta+, Wusic Station
5
12%
Pre-routed - TAL-Elek7ro, Malstrom, many hardware synths
3
7%
Other - Please provide an example below
1
2%
I don't use modulation routing
1
2%
 
Total votes: 43

User avatar
futures_untold
Posts: 4429
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: London
Contact:

What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by futures_untold » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Some synths are easier to program than others, based partly on the layout of the synth, partly on the visual theme and partly on the modulation system.

What are your top two modulation systems to use when programming synths? (See poll above, two votes per person)

Personally I really like pre-routed stuff as it means less clicking to get a sound varied and lively, but the problem is usually there are only a couple of destinations available to modulate with the pre-routed envelopes. I also really like the drag and drop method used by Massive and Circle.

My least favourite is drop down menus, used by the likes of Alchemy and any synth with a modulation matrix.

Interestingly, Reason uses several modulation methods including drag and drop virtual CV cables, pre-routed (amp and filter envelopes on every device), drop down menus on the Combinator and a modulation matrix on Thor.

What are your favourite synths to program? What are your least favourite synths to program? Have I missed out a crucial modulation method from the list in the poll? Opinions and debate welcome! :w:

Patrick

User avatar
Benji
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by Benji » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:44 am

Massive all the way and the events thing in FL is pretty sweet too

Artie_Fufkin
Posts: 1072
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:04 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by Artie_Fufkin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:03 am

The drag and drop in massive is nice. So intuitive.
For some reason, I really enjoy the matrix in OxeFm. I guess the layout makes it easy to see what signals are going where.
From what I've seen on youtube with the virtual cables in reason, it looks like a pain in the ass. Working in the box is supposed to be more convenient, not remind you of spider webs of cables. :P
Renoise uses drop down menus for modulating/automating parameters and I like it unless the parameter names that come up don't help me find what I'm looking for. Being able to use a search on the drop down menus is nice too.

User avatar
Fowles
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by Fowles » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:05 am

its pretty fucking easy to do anything in massive really. Too bad it doesnt have better quality oscillators. Absynth and fm8 are good for the envelopes. not a fan of synths w a matrix, but it does the job if you dont need to do anything too complex.
first song I ever completed: Soundcloud

User avatar
wolf89
Posts: 10287
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:18 pm
Location: Sandford M8
Contact:

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by wolf89 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:16 pm

An actual physical modular synth where you build it using cables is by far my favorite. It's both logical and clear whilst also being a physical process

Any synth where stuff is buried behind a load of menus is my least favorite. Especially if it's a piece of hardware with a little screen to do it all on (like a Yamaha TG77 for example)
http://twitter.com/Wolfthedj
sofa_king wrote:wolf89 has a massive cock.

fragments
Posts: 3552
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: NEOhio
Contact:

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by fragments » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:30 pm

wolf89 wrote:An actual physical modular synth where you build it using cables is by far my favorite. It's both logical and clear whilst also being a physical process

Any synth where stuff is buried behind a load of menus is my least favorite. Especially if it's a piece of hardware with a little screen to do it all on (like a Yamaha TG77 for example)
+1 for routing real boxes and cables. By far my favorite. Therefore when using my DAW I love Patcher in FL Studio.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

User avatar
wolf89
Posts: 10287
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:18 pm
Location: Sandford M8
Contact:

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by wolf89 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:40 pm

I also have to say any virtual synth where the layout you use doesn't follow a easy to see signal flow path type though it. This is most important with anything using a subtractive style of architecture.

For example Massive is clear to use but the subtractive synths in Logic aren't
http://twitter.com/Wolfthedj
sofa_king wrote:wolf89 has a massive cock.

User avatar
Gewze
Posts: 2660
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by Gewze » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:53 am

only clicked one option :( the other ill say point and click.
Drag and drop is the one though, its like looking where you want to drive

User avatar
futures_untold
Posts: 4429
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by futures_untold » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:28 am

Loads of people are saying that the drag and drop system works well for them.

What is it that you specifically enjoy about the system?

Patrick :)

claudedefaren
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:57 am

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by claudedefaren » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:29 am

Drag and drop for sure. I haven't used FAW Circle, but I'm mainly thinking of all my Fabfilter plugins, including Twin 2. Blows Massive's "drag and drop" out of the water.

User avatar
wormcode
Posts: 6659
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:43 am
Location: htx/atx

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by wormcode » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:33 am

wolf89 wrote:An actual physical modular synth where you build it using cables is by far my favorite. It's both logical and clear whilst also being a physical process
Same, but I really dislike it in software. It's just dumb to me to emulate this aspect of hardware when you can do something like point/click/drag/drop as in Massive. Reason bothers me because of that, and a few modular emulation synths I have installed. It's just more messing about than necessary in software, and honestly isn't fooling anyone lol.

I figured the poll was about software, but I picked modulation matrix and drag/drop. Mod matrices because it's what I'm used to with hardware, drag and drop because it makes the most sense on a computer... point and click is pretty much the same though.
Last edited by wormcode on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wolf89
Posts: 10287
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:18 pm
Location: Sandford M8
Contact:

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by wolf89 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:48 am

futures_untold wrote:Loads of people are saying that the drag and drop system works well for them.

What is it that you specifically enjoy about the system?

Patrick :)
Well the drag and drop system works well in software because it's essentially taking the logical "you can follow what you're doing" approach of a modular but does it in a way that both suits and takes advantage of the way handling a synth on a computer works. Makes sense to be able to drag the device causing it onto the desired parameter if you have it all laid out in front of you with the signal flow clearly traceable. Massive I feel is excellent in it's design in this regard
http://twitter.com/Wolfthedj
sofa_king wrote:wolf89 has a massive cock.

User avatar
futures_untold
Posts: 4429
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by futures_untold » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:06 am

claudedefaren wrote:Drag and drop for sure. I haven't used FAW Circle, but I'm mainly thinking of all my Fabfilter plugins, including Twin 2. Blows Massive's "drag and drop" out of the water.
I need top check out the Fabfilter stuff by the sounds of it then :)

Thanks for the heads up. :)

User avatar
futures_untold
Posts: 4429
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by futures_untold » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:08 am

wolf89 wrote:
futures_untold wrote:Loads of people are saying that the drag and drop system works well for them.

What is it that you specifically enjoy about the system?

Patrick :)
Well the drag and drop system works well in software because it's essentially taking the logical "you can follow what you're doing" approach of a modular but does it in a way that both suits and takes advantage of the way handling a synth on a computer works. Makes sense to be able to drag the device causing it onto the desired parameter if you have it all laid out in front of you with the signal flow clearly traceable. Massive I feel is excellent in it's design in this regard
So you're one for signal flow markings on the synth GUI? :)

shakas
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: southern california

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by shakas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:45 am

Massive's circle style is absolutely the best i've used. It's the quickest, easiest and most visually representative of what you're trying to achieve. I wish every soft synth had it.(or better) Zebra is very similar, and I love Zebra...but massive's is still slightly more intuitive & that makes it my main 'go to' synth when i want to try and accomplish an idea for a sound *quickly*.

I've always hated Reason's cables, but, mod matrixes like the one in Thor (or Helix VST which i also like) aren't too bad.

VirtualMark
Posts: 1821
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:15 am
Location: UK

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by VirtualMark » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:07 am

I've always said that drag and drop is a superior modulation system for software - it only takes a click and you can see exactly what you're doing.

That being said - if I was using hardware I'd prefer another system. Depending on the type of synth, maybe patch cables, pre routed or mod matrix. Patch cables are ideal for a modular synth, pre routed can be good for a live performance synth and a mod matrix is tried and tested for other synths.

User avatar
futures_untold
Posts: 4429
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by futures_untold » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:59 am

I guess mod matrices are basically just 'routing wires' between points, we just don't see them. :)

User avatar
Fanny
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:18 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by Fanny » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:24 am

I think I Know the relationship of carrier frequency, modulation frequency and modulation index to efficiency and bandwidth.
Compare FM systems to AM systems with regard to efficiency, bandwidth and noise.What you say about it ??

Click here to view our website
Last edited by Fanny on Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Solar Green
5b/6 Quinns Hill Rd E Stapylton QLD 4207
1300 783 427,
http://www.solargreen.net.au/

User avatar
ThisIsSovereign
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:59 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by ThisIsSovereign » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:47 am

Massive is just so easy to use, I've tried other synths and none have been able to stand up to it. I just seem to get the results I want with it so easily. I love how visual everything is, I feel like I can see exactly what is happening with everything.

User avatar
AxeD
Posts: 9361
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:10 pm
Location: Damstarem

Re: What is your favourite modulation system to use?

Post by AxeD » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:59 am

You can see what you're doing with virtual cables, unless you don't know about synthesis.
With drag and drop, I can't see a damn thing.
Agent 47 wrote:Next time I can think of something, I will.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests