Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
AcidRat
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:43 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by AcidRat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:30 pm

I have money to spend and I'm quite interested in Komplete 9 ultimate.

Just wondering what you guys might think? Maybe you have it, would you recommend forking out the cash for it? Or is there a better use for my $?

User avatar
ieatfunk
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:00 am

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by ieatfunk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:35 pm

If you have the money to spend then I suggest going for it. Though, what I did was I bought Komplete 8 (not ultimate) and Maschine Mikro. In my opinion the Maschine hardware and software, along with the 90GBs of samples is so much better than the extra shit in the Ultimate pack.

Just make sure, when you get it to experiment. I didn't, I just took everything at face value because I was literally just starting, it's so much more in depth than you realise at first!
I specialise in the delicious manipulation of funk

Soundcloud

AcidRat
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:43 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by AcidRat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:38 pm

yeah there's this bundle going and its selling komplete 9 ultimate and maschine mkII for £1099 seems like a good deal :)

fragments
Posts: 3552
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: NEOhio
Contact:

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by fragments » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:42 pm

I thought about Komplete for a long time. It's a great discount, but I think for me it would have been too much I wouldn't use or would never get to. I ended up with Maschine and Absynth. Between these two I've got a lot of ground covered.

Also, I think if you are going to buy Maschine you might as well spend the money on the full unit. I don't think what you loose in Mikro is worth the money you save. Personally I went with an open box deal of the MKI instead of the MKII. Don't regret that at all. All you get is the lighted pads, really (and Massive).

That's a lot of money, man. Seems like a good deal...but how much mileage are you going to get, really, out of Komplete? The sample library is probably worth it + Maschine...but I bet you'll never really use half the software.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

User avatar
ieatfunk
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:00 am

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by ieatfunk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:44 pm

AcidRat wrote:yeah there's this bundle going and its selling komplete 9 ultimate and maschine mkII for £1099 seems like a good deal :)
For sure man, if you had Komplete 9 Ulti and Maschine, your limitations would literally be your creativity. and your PC/Mac CPU :corndance:
I specialise in the delicious manipulation of funk

Soundcloud

User avatar
Genevieve
Posts: 8775
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: 6_6

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by Genevieve » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 pm

fragments wrote:I thought about Komplete for a long time. It's a great discount, but I think for me it would have been too much I wouldn't use or would never get to. I ended up with Maschine and Absynth. Between these two I've got a lot of ground covered.

Also, I think if you are going to buy Maschine you might as well spend the money on the full unit. I don't think what you loose in Mikro is worth the money you save. Personally I went with an open box deal of the MKI instead of the MKII. Don't regret that at all. All you get is the lighted pads, really (and Massive).

That's a lot of money, man. Seems like a good deal...but how much mileage are you going to get, really, out of Komplete? The sample library is probably worth it + Maschine...but I bet you'll never really use half the software.
This is fair, but I still think it's worth it if you're looking for a sample library + 1 or 2 solid synths + reaktor + Kontakt and a bunch of good effects. In my opinion, you're not really spending extra money on things you don't need, you just get a lot of free shit you might not need.

That's for the basic bundle, anyway. Not the ultimate one.

I'm in the market for Komplete. But when I have the money, I'll hold on to it for a little while and see if I can get 8 for a cheaper price or wait for a discount. It's worth it the money, but if you can get cheaper do it.
Image

namsayin

:'0

Head of the DSF Hebrew Awareness Society

fragments
Posts: 3552
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: NEOhio
Contact:

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by fragments » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:57 pm

I guess I'm just getting more Spartan about my setup, lol. I can't imagine having one or two NI synths...lets say Absynth and FM8...Reaktor and Kontakt and ever taking advantage of all they have to offer plus all the "free" stuff.

I certainly wouldn't feel ripped off it's just hard for me to wrap my head around needing/using all that.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

AcidRat
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:43 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by AcidRat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:10 pm

albeit it would take a long time to break ground in most of the synths and stuff, but at least im not lacking in stuff to learn you know?

User avatar
Crimsonghost
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 6:59 am
Location: Belly of the beastmode

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by Crimsonghost » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:43 pm

AcidRat wrote:yeah there's this bundle going and its selling komplete 9 ultimate and maschine mkII for £1099 seems like a good deal :)
Thats a hell of a deal. Full size MKII? Seriosuly though, with K9 Ultimate and a Maschine you wont need to buy anything for a LONG time.
This space for rent.

Soundcloud

Soundcloud

fragments
Posts: 3552
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: NEOhio
Contact:

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by fragments » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:52 pm

AcidRat wrote:albeit it would take a long time to break ground in most of the synths and stuff, but at least im not lacking in stuff to learn you know?
Sounds to me like you've convinced yourself already. As I said, whether or not you are saving a barrel of money is clear. You are! That doesn't meaning you are getting your money's worth though.

If you feel like it'll be worth it, go for it. You won't be disappointed with Maschine and NI products work flawlessly inside the Maschine environment. I'm doing 90 percent of my work inside Maschine these days. The FX are good enough I haven't been bothered to straighten out getting 3rd party VSTs to work inside Maschine standalone yet (it's likely a simple issue, but Maschine is so awesome by itself I don't even care).

All I have to say is Ice reverb. You'll abuse it like a nurse does an elderly person in a cheap nursing home.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

claudedefaren
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:57 am

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by claudedefaren » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Komplete 9 totally worth it. It gets you Massive, Absynth, Reaktor, and Kontakt for the price of Reaktor alone. Plus a shit ton more (which you'll probably never use and honestly isn't that great IMO)

Komplete 9, not very worth it IMO

User avatar
lloydy
Posts: 2439
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by lloydy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:55 pm

My girl bought me komplete 9 ultimate as a present and i can honestly say it is well worth it.The studio string instrument for kontakt is mind blowing along with most of the other sample instruments that come with it + razor is pretty nifty as well.
A lot of money but you get a fuck ton of bang for your buck.Endless amounts of stuff to tweak to shit out of
New Dnb track
Soundcloud

Free Download
Soundcloud

User avatar
futures_untold
Posts: 4429
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by futures_untold » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm

Are you just starting out or have you been into this seriously for a while?

As part of the process of due diligence, I'd recommend checking out what you can get for free ---> http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight=

I'm just questioning why a person would drop a 1k on anything which didn't start making them money fairly rapidly afterwards, especially when there is so many quality free solutions available to make music?



Limitations of the freeware pack are as follows:

Reaper isn't free if you feel guilty about licencing such things after the unlimited trail period expires. The licence is a measly $60. :)

The included sampler isn't as fully featured as Kontakt and certainly doesn't have the wealth of sample libraries available for it either. Yet samples are easy to make or find for free online, on forum threads, through torrents etc. Finally in this regard, if you really felt you lacked Deathstar type power in your sampling a standalone licence for Kontakt is cheaper than Komplete Ultimate. More good but cheaper sampler options to be found in this thread ---> http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=273291

For a more meaty synth, anything mentioned in the following thread will do (very) nicely. Again comes in cheaper than Komplete Ultimate ---> http://www.dubstepforum.com/heavyweight ... 98973.html

For a better drum sampler than the one included, check out Poise which provides no-bs sampling power for a sensible price. http://www.onesmallclue.com/poise.php



Tbh, if you just need an expensive hobby, go for it. If you need a way to offload your money but don't need Komplete itself, send the cash to me via Paypal.

Good luck!

Patrick :)

titchbit
Posts: 3536
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 8:16 pm
Location: levitating on bass weight

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by titchbit » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 am

claudedefaren wrote:Komplete 9 totally worth it. It gets you Massive, Absynth, Reaktor, and Kontakt for the price of Reaktor alone. Plus a shit ton more (which you'll probably never use and honestly isn't that great IMO)

Komplete 9, not very worth it IMO
lol wut?



@OP: If you are just starting out, which it sounds like you are, I would absolutely NOT get komplete. This is serious money we're talking about, unless you are filthy rich. How do you know you will continue to pursue this hobby? How do you know you won't quit once you open these synths and have no fuckin clue what's going on?

Now, if you are an amateur, have been producing for a few months and think you want to stick with it, then I would say yes, komplete is a great value. But one of my friends recently wanted to start producing, bought logic, opened it once, and was like "wut the fuck!?!?!" and then totally gave up on it and hasn't touched it since. I'm not saying you are going to fail at it, but I wouldn't invest over $1000 until you know for sure this is your thing.

If I were you, I would just get an intro version of a DAW and get to know the instruments that come with your DAW. And then if you really want to make this your thing, buy komplete. Oh, and if you get reaper, which is a DAW that comes with no instruments, then maybe buy a single one of these VSTs (massive is probably best for a beginner). But DO NOT throw down over a thousand bucks until you know you really want to do this. it might cost you $100 extra to do it this way, but it's better than blowing over a thousand bucks on nothing.

TheReptilianElite
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by TheReptilianElite » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:35 am

It's great to start out with the komplete bundle (not ultimate). Even with the non-ultimate purchase I made a while back, it seems to come with a LOT of junk I don't and won't ever use. More doesn't mean better another words.

Key soft synths you should add to your arsenal: FM8, Massive, Kontakt. Otherwise you can go the other route and get synths that will do primarily the same stuff but for better (and sometimes for worse) deals. Try Cyclop by sugar-bytes. They make some great stuff for spawning insane creativity. I also see a lot of people using Gladiator and the now discontinued Albino. My suggestion is to demo as much as possible!

Hope that helps

TheReptilianElite
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by TheReptilianElite » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:37 am

Also, limit your programs. Get a few awesome ones to learn before you wind up getting komplete and essentially have too much to handle. My point is: don't be a jack of all trades. Be a master of some!

User avatar
Electric_Head
Posts: 16958
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:59 am
Location: South of Africa
Contact:

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by Electric_Head » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:51 am

If you have the cash it is certainly worth it.
Image ImageImage Image
Image

AcidRat
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:43 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by AcidRat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:53 am

futures_untold wrote:Are you just starting out or have you been into this seriously for a while?

As part of the process of due diligence, I'd recommend checking out what you can get for free ---> http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight=

I'm just questioning why a person would drop a 1k on anything which didn't start making them money fairly rapidly afterwards, especially when there is so many quality free solutions available to make music?



Limitations of the freeware pack are as follows:

Reaper isn't free if you feel guilty about licencing such things after the unlimited trail period expires. The licence is a measly $60. :)

The included sampler isn't as fully featured as Kontakt and certainly doesn't have the wealth of sample libraries available for it either. Yet samples are easy to make or find for free online, on forum threads, through torrents etc. Finally in this regard, if you really felt you lacked Deathstar type power in your sampling a standalone licence for Kontakt is cheaper than Komplete Ultimate. More good but cheaper sampler options to be found in this thread ---> http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=273291

For a more meaty synth, anything mentioned in the following thread will do (very) nicely. Again comes in cheaper than Komplete Ultimate ---> http://www.dubstepforum.com/heavyweight ... 98973.html

For a better drum sampler than the one included, check out Poise which provides no-bs sampling power for a sensible price. http://www.onesmallclue.com/poise.php



Tbh, if you just need an expensive hobby, go for it. If you need a way to offload your money but don't need Komplete itself, send the cash to me via Paypal.

Good luck!

Patrick :)
Well I've been producing for roughly two years now, not saying I'm good or anything, still fairly noob, but I have no doubt in my mind that this is something I'm not going to give up.

User avatar
futures_untold
Posts: 4429
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by futures_untold » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:35 am

AcidRat wrote:Well I've been producing for roughly two years now, not saying I'm good or anything, still fairly noob, but I have no doubt in my mind that this is something I'm not going to give up.
Cool man. Go for it if that's what your desire. :)

So you're set up with keyboards, monitors and all that malarkey?

Personally I'd still be reluctant to drop a grand on music software. That said, I'd pay a grand for a good mountain bike. :6:

User avatar
Genevieve
Posts: 8775
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: 6_6

Re: Is Komplete 9 a wise investment?

Post by Genevieve » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:21 am

Nothing to say other than I've finally demo'd Kontakt and lawd allmighty that mutha's powerful
Image

namsayin

:'0

Head of the DSF Hebrew Awareness Society

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests