DAW Preference?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Gryzz

DAW Preference?

Post by Gryzz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:17 pm

What is your guys DAW preference for making dubstep. I want know because I make house and electro music in Fruity Loops and want to know if FL is good for dubstep and what vstis do you guys use?

Thanks a ton,
Gryzz

titchbit

Re: DAW Preference?

Post by titchbit » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Any DAW works just fine for any genre. I like Ableton personally.

futures_untold

Post by futures_untold » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:17 pm

dubunked wrote:Any DAW works just fine for any genre. I like Reaper personally.
Fixed ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gryzz, welcome to Dubstepforum. :)

This question gets asked a lot and there isn't a definite answer except for 'any DAW works just fine for any genre' as posted by dubunked above.

It comes down to personal preference. If you like FL, go for it.

Check out the following threads:

Lot's of info regarding Which DAW is best - http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=150805

Lot's of info regarding producing dubstep - http://www.dubstepforum.com/dubstep-pro ... 59713.html (Notice in the section on software there are a series of threads dedicated to each DAW. You should browse through each thread to get a feel for the pro's and con's of using each software.

Any questions, Google them first. After you've run dry of answers on Google, ask again here.

Good luck! :4:

Patrick :)
Last edited by futures_untold on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AcidRat

Post by AcidRat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Ableton for me, started of FL didn't like it too much, ableton is more so second nature to me at this stage.

Crimsonghost

Post by Crimsonghost » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Ableton workflow is not very intuitive IMO. Although, it does have some very nice features that I haven't seen in others daws.

I use Studio One 2 and really enjoy it.

I'm waiting for IL to get off there asses and put out that Mac version of FL (should be soon! *fingers crossed*).

But you can use anything you want. A lot of FL users here. As well as Reaper, Logic, and Ableton. Just use whatever your comfortable with.

Unless your like me and want another daw for no reason. :cornlol:
This space for rent.

Soundcloud

Soundcloud

fragments

Post by fragments » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Crimsonghost wrote:
I'm waiting for IL to get off there asses and put out that Mac version of FL (should be soon! *fingers crossed*).
FL Studio for Mac is in closed beta, pretty sure. There is something on the IL forums about it.

Anyway. I started with FL Studio and know it so well I see no reason to switch. Especially since version 10 changes and the addition of Patcher.

But I really try to do as little inside my DAW as possible these days.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

Gryzz

Post by Gryzz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Thank you guys, I'll stick to Fruity Loops as I have already learned and have tons of experience with it. The problem is I am very interested in doing dubstep but other than using massive I am not sure where to go. Any help/

Crimsonghost

Post by Crimsonghost » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Gryzz wrote:Thank you guys, I'll stick to Fruity Loops as I have already learned and have tons of experience with it. The problem is I am very interested in doing dubstep but other than using massive I am not sure where to go. Any help/
Stickies bro. That and google. If you can make electro, you can make dubstep. More or less.
This space for rent.

Soundcloud

Soundcloud

marcx

Post by marcx » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:51 pm

FL Studio for Mac is in closed beta, pretty sure. There is something on the IL forums about it.
Not so sure about that, the most recent thing i read was this http://support.image-line.com/knowledge ... =114&id=55

It would be nice one day though..

SunkLo

Post by SunkLo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:53 pm

The correct answer is Reaper. There's already a thread about this.

I'll sum it up for you:
SunkLo wrote:The correct answer is Reaper.
Blaze it -4.20dB
nowaysj wrote:Raising a girl in this jizz filled world is not the easiest thing.
Phigure wrote:I haven't heard such a beautiful thing since that time Jesus sang Untrue
If I ever get banned I'll come back as SpunkLo, just you mark my words.

Crimsonghost

Post by Crimsonghost » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:40 pm

SunkLo wrote:The correct answer is Reaper. There's already a thread about this.

I'll sum it up for you:
:corntard:
This space for rent.

Soundcloud

Soundcloud

Crimsonghost

Post by Crimsonghost » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:41 pm

marcx wrote:
Not so sure about that, the most recent thing i read was this http://support.image-line.com/knowledge ... =114&id=55

There was a thread over on KVR saying it was supposed to happen soon. Although i may just be on crack and have no idea what im talking about. :6:
This space for rent.

Soundcloud

Soundcloud

futures_untold

Post by futures_untold » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:08 pm

SunkLo wrote:The correct answer is Reaper. There's already a thread about this.

I'll sum it up for you:
:lol:

futures_untold

Post by futures_untold » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Gryzz wrote:Thank you guys, I'll stick to Fruity Loops as I have already learned and have tons of experience with it. The problem is I am very interested in doing dubstep but other than using massive I am not sure where to go. Any help/
Can you elaborate and explain more about what you're trying to do and the struggles you have in doing it?

FL is superb for making dubstep given that FL has great built in synths (Sytrus, 3xOsc), samplers (TS404, Directwave) and FX (to many to mention there are that many great ones).

Let us know what you're stuck with and we may be able to help further.

Btw, check out the FL studio thread here on DSF ---> http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=91074

Hope that helps?

Patrick :)

Mason

Post by Mason » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:46 pm

Ignore these foolish trolls op (especially sunklo) ableton is the best and only viable option.
Soundcloud
TopManLurka wrote:sycophants gon sycophant.

wormcode

Post by wormcode » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:29 am

marcx wrote:

Native FL for Mac exists, but it doesn't exist.
What they had to do is, like always, find a workaround. So they worked with the Crossover devs in order to get FL embedded inside special version of Crossover so it works without installing Windows on your Mac.

It's been in closed beta for about 2 years. Someone I know with it installed has told me it seems fairly close to being finished, except for a few fairly big issues. It doesn't support AU, and a lot of VST plugins still don't work. Here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHSLA52DFr8

titchbit

Post by titchbit » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:43 am

^ that is so sexy. Ask your friend how they got it installed. I want to get that so bad.

I wonder why comments are disabled on that video.... Usually it's because the video is a scam, like fake dubturbo reviews.... Weird.

wormcode

Post by wormcode » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:39 am

dubunked wrote:^ that is so sexy. Ask your friend how they got it installed. I want to get that so bad.

I wonder why comments are disabled on that video.... Usually it's because the video is a scam, like fake dubturbo reviews.... Weird.
Click the link the video description, but you have to be a FL registered user to read their forums. Basically they gave beta/private forum access to customers based on seniority. So older customers from before 2009 were allowed in the closed beta if they wanted, then they closed the closed beta entirely. Been pretty hush since then. Intel Mac only btw.