Patchbay to Interface??

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Vanity

Patchbay to Interface??

Post by Vanity » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Hey guys, i need more in's & out's on my interface witch is a Focusrite Saffire 6, can i not just get say a Behringer Ultrapatch Pro PX2000 Patchbay to extend my in's & out's (to connect outboard gear too), rather than forking out £££ for a new interface? Or is that not how it works? Cheers in advance!

fragments

Re: Patchbay to Interface??

Post by fragments » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:23 pm

A patch bay won't really increase the amount of I/Os you have to work with, it's more like a routing nerve center. You plug all your gear and interface into it and it makes it easier to reroute your signal through various devices.

If you only have 4 ins and 4 outs you will still only be able to use 4 ins and 4 outs. I have that patch bay BTW.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

Vanity

Post by Vanity » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Ahh thought as much. How would i connect a pair off mackies up, and a couple off piece off outboard gear up to my interface then? Would the only option be buying a new one?

fragments

Post by fragments » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Vanity wrote:Ahh thought as much. How would i connect a pair off mackies up, and a couple off piece off outboard gear up to my interface then? Would the only option be buying a new one?
I'm assuming you only have 2 audio I/Os?

But yea basically you need more I/Os. If you are only wanting one stereo channel at a time to process stuff through outboard gear you'll need an additional 2 outs and 2 ins. But honestly if you think you'll be wanting more I'd highly recommend upgrading to something you can grow into.

BUY USED

I got my 8 audio I/O MOTU for around 250USD used.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

Ongelegen

Post by Ongelegen » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 pm

4 ins and outs total will give you 1 processing chain if your using 2 outs for monitors. You could create 2 processing chains if you have a seperate out for headphones (so that basically 6 outs total), but lose the monitors. To expand your I/O count you'd need to get a AD/DA converter with the needed amount of channels and connect it via ADAT to your interface.

EDIT: Just noticed you're are using a saffire 6, which isn't expandable at all, I fear. Your best bet would be to upgrade your interface. Motu interfaces are more than decent and a bang for your buck regarding the amount of I/O.

Vanity

Post by Vanity » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Cheers for clearing this up for me guys! I'll be upgrading to the Motu 8Pre/Saffire 40 soonish.

Ongelegen

Post by Ongelegen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Don't go with the 8Pre, not sure if you noticed, but it has only 2 outs. The Saffire 40 would be a good upgrade regarding the I/O, but not so much in terms of conversion/sound quality compared to the Saffire 6. Don't know what your budget is, but I'd consider a second hand fireface 400 (firewire) or UC (newer exactly the same but USB). The 400 goes for about €400-450 second hand, UC a bit more. 8 ins (2 mic/line & 6 line) and 8 outputs (7&8 is phones out). Expandable though digital I/O. With this you don't have to upgrade unless you go high-end imo. Great converters, stability/driver, super low latency and clean mic pres. Couldn't be happier with mine. If you can't stretch it, i'd go Motu 828 like fragments suggested, more I/O for less.

fragments

Post by fragments » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:30 pm

The 828 is fantastic for the money IMO. The pres are decent, I run digital sounds through them all the time. Watch if you get a Firewire 828 though, supposedly they only run on Texas Instrument firewire chipsets. It ran fine (as far as I could tell) on my default generic firewire that came with my motherboard (I was never able to source what chipset it has). But I bought a class compliant FW card with a TI chipset just to be safe. You can read about this if you google it.

I want to upgrade to the new 828 MKiii ultralite at some point in the next 18 months.

But I got my 828 for around 250USD

Ongelegen

Post by Ongelegen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Good call on the firewire chipset. Without the TI chipset it's pretty much a hit or miss with most firewire interfaces. TI or go USB.

fragments

Post by fragments » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:49 pm

Yea. I was surprised to find out most fireware chipsets are not class compliant. No wonder the format is dying.

Vanity

Post by Vanity » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Yeah the 828 looks like a much better option, cheers for the suggestion!