Zomboy Copy Cat of the Year

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Soul_Of_Seun

Re: Zomboy Copy Cat of the Year

Post by Soul_Of_Seun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:02 pm

No problem with sampling at all. Hip Hop gained its footing using samples from released tracks from other genres. It's more about the end product for me so if someones samples derided sounds from a derided producer, there's a very good chance the final product won't be very good and they will subsequently get derided.

I sample my own snares and layer them with snares from sample packs. My kicks are always from sample packs, however, every single synth from every song I've ever made has been something I created, basslines included, with the exception of just two different synths out of the dozens I've used I tweaked from a preset.

You learn a lot about production by simply creating your own sounds.
Soundcloud

Mystical

R3b_Official

Post by R3b_Official » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:12 pm

The reason why i made this thread was just showing actual proof, even though there is plenty of it already that he takes other people work and marks it as his own without even at least modifying the sample at ALL. Was just a filler for his new track and i feel as though thats taking a short cut and imo isnt right.

We could go on forever about sampling is shit and other says theres nothing wrong taking stuff. My problem is he didnt try do something else with it and change it in his own fit in his style. Fairly smart dude, could have at least resampled and made it some what more reesey or whatever. I do that with one shots sometimes, but i would never ever put a in a pre recorded piano or skrillex bass in on of my songs.... unless is was fucking heavly sounding and didnt sound like brostep trash. Brostep is another touchy subject.... Another time perhaps :lol:

Big big difference in what your sampling from , vocals, drums, maybe some guitars but this dude is just throwing shit in his songs that probably took a person hours or maybe days to make?

Sampling drums have been around for the past i dont know how many years. If you want to make your own drums go ahead. If you like layering and mixing a couple to make your own drum sample from a pack. Nothing wrong with that ether, but as long as you made it. You can tell when a producer spends time on his drums and dont sound like 90% of everyone elses.

Hes surely a great producer and has his own style but really m8? Try make your own one shots next time....

I advise anyone, if you havent already but check out this website and this guys videos. He gives the truest form of what sampling and "remixing" truly is.

edit* forgot the website, but seriously check it out :W:

http://everythingisaremix.info/watch-the-series/
/done
Check out my youtube videos and Soundcloud
https://r3b_official.toneden.io/#
Soundcloud

Add9

Post by Add9 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:54 am

As long as it sounds good why does the process matter
WolfCryOfficial wrote:Have fun on your musical campaign to hell.

Sinergy

Post by Sinergy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:28 am

fragments wrote:
Sinergy wrote:Mm, I think their is more a "culture" around newer dubstep than a lot of you say.

Cause in general it's fallen off of whatever it was that shot "EDM" into the outer atmosphere in like 2010ish. and it's sort of changing more than it was because outside of the whole "beatport top 10" world it no longer has that extremely, centralized style. and it's branching out a bit more, slowly, and i mean really slowly a lot of producers are starting to sound less like each other again. But as with electronic music right now the internet seems to be the downfall. A new sounds pops up, and it gets done to death far too quickly for anyone to really accept or reject it, y'know?

And as someone said in here earlier, dubstep started as a bunch of people trying to one-up eachother with their tunes. And, that sounds pretty damn close to what it is now lol look at the sound design forum.

On the topic zomboy though it's sort of odd. He get's so much attention, yet he samples like this. And even so, when I hear a zomboy tune I can tell it's him pretty easily. Not by the general sounds, but just how it was produced, has like a "zomboy" sound, really full high end, almost overly done. I hear plenty of tunes where it's like oh yeah i can tell this guy was trying to copy zomboy, but you can tell it's just a copy by how it's been mixed/mastered.

Gorilla march is a guily pleasure :lol:
I'm not sure what kind of tunes/artist you mean when you say "new dubstep" (I don't listen to much anymore if I'm honest).

But the bit about a sound getting popular and rinsed before anyone can get their head straight about it is completely true--and that's this whole instant gratification/disposable internet culture at work. Shit spreads like fire in a gun powder plant and by the time the smoke clears and the flames die down everyone has bailed for the next raging chaos. Nothing has a chance to even develop before its over. The time and space needed for subtlety to develop just isn't there anymore. Its all about one element, people get fixated on it (the mid-range drop, for example), then *poof* we are on to the next "blog-step" genre. The thing is a lot of the fans of this stuff are producers that aren't part of a scene, so for them there isn't much of an emotional investment, they are very ready to dump the flavor of the month for what they can smell cooking over the horizon.

I just can't even care anymore.

@wub: anyway we can move the scene discussion to another thread? I'm finding it really interesting, but we/I have totally hijacked the zomboy is a copy cat thread.
What I mean by new dubstep, is that it doesn't have the extreme pressure to conform as it did 2-3 years ago. An example of newer stuff that isn't strictly skrillex/zomboy-esque is this wave of darker, metallic sounding stuff, like megalodon, badklaat, requake, etc. Which, whether not YOU like it, it has little to no pop appeal that "brostep" had/has, and I think from there it can and will branch out. It will take time, but it will. And this stuff does have a scene, a very specific one at that, and it seems to be very based around record labels

And it's getting done to death, but not at the same rate "brostep" was/is getting done. that couples with no pop pressure/influence it can grow independently.

Honestly, I don't know much about synthesis and how synths are developed/whats possible, but no matter what does what, once a new synth comes out with a new set of sounds, everything will change right? Right now, everything is massive/some fm8, but before massive, a lot of sounds didn't exist. so in say 5 years, if a new groundbreaking synth comes out, wouldn't this whole thing change up entirely all over again? With sounds we can't even imagine since they don't exist yet?
ultraspatial wrote:sell crack
make trap bangers

Huts

Post by Huts » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:55 pm

R3b_Official wrote:The reason why i made this thread was just showing actual proof, even though there is plenty of it already that he takes other people work and marks it as his own without even at least modifying the sample at ALL. Was just a filler for his new track and i feel as though thats taking a short cut and imo isnt right.

We could go on forever about sampling is shit and other says theres nothing wrong taking stuff. My problem is he didnt try do something else with it and change it in his own fit in his style. Fairly smart dude, could have at least resampled and made it some what more reesey or whatever. I do that with one shots sometimes, but i would never ever put a in a pre recorded piano or skrillex bass in on of my songs.... unless is was fucking heavly sounding and didnt sound like brostep trash. Brostep is another touchy subject.... Another time perhaps :lol:

Big big difference in what your sampling from , vocals, drums, maybe some guitars but this dude is just throwing shit in his songs that probably took a person hours or maybe days to make?

Hes surely a great producer and has his own style but really m8? Try make your own one shots next time....
If the sample he got from the pack has the desired sound he was going for why complicate things? No one here, myself included, is making anything groundbreaking or original. Why try recreating (and failing), or needlessly mangling samples/presets when it's right there to use and sounds good as is? If something out of a pack sounds perfect the way it is, use that shit. More often than not people overprocess and ruin potentially cool sounds just because resampling has become 'the thing to do', or so they can say THEY processed some sound.
yung tiesto
Soundcloud

R3b_Official

Post by R3b_Official » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:15 pm

Huts wrote: If the sample he got from the pack has the desired sound he was going for why complicate things? No one here, myself included, is making anything groundbreaking or original. Why try recreating (and failing), or needlessly mangling samples/presets when it's right there to use and sounds good as is? If something out of a pack sounds perfect the way it is, use that shit. More often than not people overprocess and ruin potentially cool sounds just because resampling has become 'the thing to do', or so they can say THEY processed some sound.
That is pretty good point.... i guess you could over process a sound and up turing it to total shit.
Sinergy wrote:
What I mean by new dubstep, is that it doesn't have the extreme pressure to conform as it did 2-3 years ago. An example of newer stuff that isn't strictly skrillex/zomboy-esque is this wave of darker, metallic sounding stuff, like megalodon, badklaat, requake, etc. Which, whether not YOU like it, it has little to no pop appeal that "brostep" had/has, and I think from there it can and will branch out. It will take time, but it will. And this stuff does have a scene, a very specific one at that, and it seems to be very based around record labels

And it's getting done to death, but not at the same rate "brostep" was/is getting done. that couples with no pop pressure/influence it can grow independently.
This new wave of stuff of more minimal stuff will be coming soon and it will be pretty big. Those guys ^ are just monsters in their sound design :u:... Ive been trying for the past couple weeks to learn and get my way around this new genre coming out, even though they have been around since early dubstep back in 2010. Which is a long time, counting on music.

I say by January more of this stuff will be out and it will be over played to death. Other small artist from looking around just reuse and rinse out all their synths over and over while megalodon, badklaat, requake are making bigger and newer sounds. I cant even come close to some of their dark sounds...

From the looks of it, if you dont have reason. Youre done for making some of these guys stuff. Unless you can reengineer it in fm8 or another fm synth for some wonky bright sounds.
Check out my youtube videos and Soundcloud
https://r3b_official.toneden.io/#
Soundcloud

EARTH_MOVER

Post by EARTH_MOVER » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:04 am

i get the frustration over blatantly ripping people off... but why bitch about someone using a kick from a sample pack without 'processing' it yourself.
who the fuck cares. just because you didnt layer it and eq the tits off of it doesnt make it un original.

thats like bitching about anyone who picked up an ibanez guitar and played it through a peavy 5150.... newsflash, still sounds like an ibanez through a 5150... same fucking instrument, same fucking amp... it comes down to if the song is worth a shit or not. its so retarded for all the people on this forum to bitch about ripping samples off, you shouldnt care where the kick or snare came from, you should care if the song is good. if you dont like it, fine, but its retarded to shoot the producer down because you recognize a one shot from somewhere else...

LogiSpark

Post by LogiSpark » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:18 am

The commercials in the U.S have some killer soundtracks, so I remake the chords or sample it :corndance: There was this care commercial (Toyota or Honda) and it had a nice female vocal hit to it, ripped the audio from youtube and SHAZAM got my sample.
Soul Of Seun wrote:I'd fondle a bear.
Some Neurohop:
Soundcloud

wub

Post by wub » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:18 am

dearadamantium wrote:i get the frustration over blatantly ripping people off... but why bitch about someone using a kick from a sample pack without 'processing' it yourself.
who the fuck cares. just because you didnt layer it and eq the tits off of it doesnt make it un original.
:z:

SkuxxOfficial

Post by SkuxxOfficial » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:56 pm

wutdafuk
I make music.

Soundcloud

DerpyDog

Post by DerpyDog » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:45 am

I dont see why this would matter. I quite dispise Zomboy's music, but you can't put him on blast for using samples. Biome, a producer I love and whose sound design is godly, used, in a couple of his songs, a bass preset from a vst without tweaking or processing it. The tracks are still beastly, and it doesn't bother me that he did that

blinx

Post by blinx » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:35 pm

MasterBlinX - Durbin Master
Soundcloud

Gurnumsbug

Post by Gurnumsbug » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:48 pm

I still find this humorous..

Sonny plays out (at the time) This Much Power http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEK8LShKPYc
A couple months later Zomboy comes out with Terror Squad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6eER7elUPs
Then Sonny releases Recess and on comes the track All Is Fair In Love And Brostep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYIGclVQdw
Basically ripping off Zomboy's version of his own track.. Zomboy then admits he must've subconsciously made the track after hearing it from Sonny's listening party..
Sonny says no hard feelings, but I know he must get tired of someone always ripping off his tunes..

rockonin

Post by rockonin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Gurnumsbug wrote:I still find this humorous..

Sonny plays out (at the time) This Much Power http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEK8LShKPYc
A couple months later Zomboy comes out with Terror Squad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6eER7elUPs
Then Sonny releases Recess and on comes the track All Is Fair In Love And Brostep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JYIGclVQdw
Basically ripping off Zomboy's version of his own track.. Zomboy then admits he must've subconsciously made the track after hearing it from Sonny's listening party..
Sonny says no hard feelings, but I know he must get tired of someone always ripping off his tunes..
"Subconsciously" lol More like:

https://soundcloud.com/rockonin
ehbes wrote:I'll remember that when City wins the league :W:

Lye_Form

Post by Lye_Form » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:24 pm

holy fuck that zomboy tune is shit.

lol this guy did his first ep a month after he started producing, you would think thats a decent sign to the terrible quality of his music.

Still making p off people without a taste in music big up :Q:
Life Force Sound | Soundcloud | Facebook
Wolf89 wrote:I'm bit a hipster is the point
wub wrote:Bob Dylan is not Grime.

bouncingfish

Post by bouncingfish » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:20 pm

fragments wrote:It cracks me up that people who spend hours and hours every week making music that, let's be honest, is pretty damn same-ish and whose history is rooted in sampling, even care about this.

"guy released a sound pack" "zomboy used the samples" Isn't that the point? What's next, scheduling both your hands so they get an equal amount of wanking practice in this week?

MY MAN!

This is what I always think when I see shit like this.
I need to stop changing my sig

Hey, finally got soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/h-e-l-l-o
some guy from facebook wrote: -instead being would have said stop acting judgemental of others then yet on you mind is not yet acting judgemental

didi

Post by didi » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:24 pm

fragments wrote:It cracks me up that people who spend hours and hours every week making music that, let's be honest, is pretty damn same-ish and whose history is rooted in sampling, even care about this.

"guy released a sound pack" "zomboy used the samples" Isn't that the point?
this lol
[+]
bennyfroobs wrote:cool it vip is one of the best funky tracks of all time, hands down
[+]
Agent 47 wrote:photek? who is photek

photek is my mate whos a house dj from london lol
[+]
wolf89 wrote:Me and my mates play a game where we remember the worst or most obscure nu metal bands we can and listen to them when drunk

XON

Post by XON » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:54 pm

Gurnumsbug wrote:I still find this humorous..

Sounds pretty fucking stupid to me, considering Skrillex practically ripped the drop from The Frim, so it's not like Sonny's song is anymore original than Zomboy's.

The Frim ( Released in Late 2012, but can be seen as far back as 2011)

Skrillex (Mid 2013)

Zomboy (Shortly after Skrillex's Unofficial Release)

Samuel_L_Damnson

Post by Samuel_L_Damnson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:49 pm

It all just sounds the same cos brostep all sounds like that.
Soundcloud
Collaborative project with kai li:
http://soundcloud.com/genrli

audiowaves

Post by audiowaves » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:28 am

:h: