How to make a track sound faster?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
MassAphekt

How to make a track sound faster?

Post by MassAphekt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:19 am

I've got a 178 bpm drumstep track running but the energy sounds slower compared to a track im mixing it with in a dj mix thats also 178. What do you do to make your track sound more faster than it really does? Perhaps too much subbass may slow do your track in perception?
New April 4
Soundcloud
New March 31
Soundcloud

Travis James Manitopyes

test_recordings

Re: How to make a track sound faster?

Post by test_recordings » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 am

It's the amount of stuff happening, more sounds and things happening in complicated rhythms increases the perceived speed.

Listen to old jungle and it sounds almost as fast as current dnb despite being slower bpm-wise. That's why modern dnb bores me, it's just fast and repetitive.

Put more complex breaks in if you want people to think it's fast. 64ths and stuff
Getzatrhythm

wub

Post by wub » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:38 am

test recordings wrote:It's the amount of stuff happening, more sounds and things happening in complicated rhythms increases the perceived speed.

Listen to old jungle and it sounds almost as fast as current dnb despite being slower bpm-wise. That's why modern dnb bores me, it's just fast and repetitive.

Put more complex breaks in if you want people to think it's fast. 64ths and stuff
What a concise post, couldn't have said it better myself :Q:

Agree with the bit re; breaks. A fast and dirty way of getting your tempo up would be to slap in a high passed Amen break with a bit of chopping/beat repeat sections on it, quite low in the mix so it gives background vibes without being a driving part of the tune.

Bass_Jacka

Post by Bass_Jacka » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:59 am

As with the amen break, I find that hats and percussion have a lot to do with the perceived tempo of a track. Try making a faster paced hat/percussion pattern to sit on top or behind your main drum pattern - this can give the impression of a faster track.
Soundcloud

..............................................................................................................................................

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty - Sir Winston Churchill

wub

Post by wub » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:05 am

Not so much the hits as what's taking place in the space between the hits.

test_recordings

Post by test_recordings » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:39 pm

There's actually psychological research to back my point up as well. I was going to do some for my dissertation but couldn't find enough research for background at the time then an undergrad at Imperial College or something did some for theirs the same year and got it published... gutted
Getzatrhythm

ArkIve

Post by ArkIve » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Nudge hi end hits/snares/claps/etc. ever so slightly before the beat. A little nudge goes a long way
ArkIve is a figment of our imagination. Anyone may experience ArkIve by simply entering one of the following interdimensional portals:

https://soundcloud.com/arkthefourth
https://twitter.com/ArkXive
arkthefourth@gmail.com

Sure_Fire

Post by Sure_Fire » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:15 pm

It can also come down to sound design and arrangement, for example Kill the Noise part 2 is a drumstep track with very minimal cymbal work going on in the drop yet it feels pretty fast paced due to the arrangement of the basses.
Soundcloud
Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll - Shigeru Miyamoto
https://soundcloud.com/photonman

syrup
Reigning Mini-Mix King

Post by syrup » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 pm

put a donk on it
Soundcloud
dubfordessert wrote:you can jizz on me if you want

Banesy

Post by Banesy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:26 pm

wub wrote:Not so much the hits as what's taking place in the space between the hits.

I think that is the key. I have noticed that when you compress more and more and really push a mix, it tends to sound faster than the uncompressed version. I think it is a phenomenon where compression brings up more audio in the "space" and makes everything sound like it runs together and hence, sounds faster. Meyah...just my observation there.

Edit: Oh shit...whats up homefry!! I had already gotten used to your new name and didn't realize who that was!

AxeD

Post by AxeD » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:43 pm

johney wrote:put a donk on it
#base
Agent 47 wrote:Next time I can think of something, I will.