Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Locked
User avatar
legend4ry
Posts: 10589
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:56 am
Location: Woolwich
Contact:

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by legend4ry » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:55 am

Heres a question....

I want the main output of my soundcard to go out and back INTO the soundcard to be able to play asio-based audio cleanly without third party plugins, which I am currently doing.

I am going to be buying a MOTU Ultralite or a Saffire Pro 24DSP to do this as my Saffire6 is old, software-wise for control and quite a shitty card overall too, plus it doesn't have this as an option.

Would you recommend going through a small mixing desk first? Like the little berhinger ones you get for like £80 or just run straight in and out via soundcard.

Would I add much impact to the signal chain going soundcard > desk > soundcard ?

Also, recommend a hardware gate? I don't want to run a software gate as it this adds further CPU (about 8% idle using 2 instances of FabFilter gate) when I am streaming. The smaller the better, £200-300 max.
Soulstep wrote: My point is i just wanna hear more vibes
Soundcloud

User avatar
nowaysj
Posts: 23281
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:11 am
Location: Mountain Fortress

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by nowaysj » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:42 pm

legend4ry wrote:Heres a question....

I want the main output of my soundcard to go out and back INTO the soundcard to be able to play asio-based audio cleanly without third party plugins, which I am currently doing.
Whaaa?

And you're not a newb, check your join date, mate.
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

User avatar
nowaysj
Posts: 23281
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:11 am
Location: Mountain Fortress

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by nowaysj » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Oh, you want to do all your live mic processing otb? Or your full mix?

What are you tryin'do?
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

User avatar
Samuel_L_Damnson
Posts: 3485
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:53 pm
Location: YORKSHIRE!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by Samuel_L_Damnson » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:40 pm

nowaysj wrote:Nah, no it doesn't, not absolutely.

Lez say you've got a 10ms attack time before the volume reduction kicks in once the signal passes the threshold. That transient comes in, passes, volume reduction kicks in, lowers the volume of the signal rationally. The result is, transient is unaffected, body of sound is reduced in volume. This causes an increase in the absolute dynamic range of a sound. Now it may reduce the dynamic range in rms, but that is a different thing.

Only clippers or super quick ninja limiters actually reduce the absolute dynamic range of sound.
Ah I see what u mean. But I look at the attack as the compressor isn't working so idk, like after the attack kicks in and the compressor does its job it reduces dynamic range.
Soundcloud
Collaborative project with kai li:
http://soundcloud.com/genrli

DrGatineau
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by DrGatineau » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:14 pm

But also remember that the attack time doesn't mean that the compressor waits 10 ms before applying any gain reduction. It goes from zero gain reduction to maximum gain reduction over the course of those 10 ms (not sure if this is linear or exponential or whatever, but that's not too important), so it is applying an infinitesimal amount of gain reduction right when the signal crosses the threshold, and then increases from there.

I'm not sure how this affects what you're saying NWJ, because I didn't really follow what you said about how the compressor "increases dynamic range" after the attack period is over, but it seems relevant :P
Phigure wrote:a life permanently spent off road

not the life for me

User avatar
Sharmaji
Posts: 5179
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:03 pm
Location: Brooklyn NYC
Contact:

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by Sharmaji » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:55 pm

DrGatineau wrote:But also remember that the attack time doesn't mean that the compressor waits 10 ms before applying any gain reduction
if the comp has got soft-knee or over-easy (dbx) compression, yeah, as the amount of compression changes around the threshold, but if it's extremely hard-knee-- Elysia mpressor comes to mind-- that sucker is totally off until things hit over the threshold.

depends on the comp.
twitter.com/sharmabeats
twitter.com/SubSwara
subswara.com
myspace.com/davesharma
Low Motion Records, Soul Motive, TKG, Daly City, Mercury UK

dansci
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 12:14 am

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by dansci » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:26 am

Question:

Is it bad to use remix stems(vocals/chants specifically) for one song and use it on another unrelated song?
Lengman

User avatar
cyclopian
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:28 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by cyclopian » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:34 am

Prob not a great look imo, especially on a vocal bit. Guess it depends how far you push the sound though.

In the end, wouldn't it be better to just source your own sound?
:middlefinger:

User avatar
nowaysj
Posts: 23281
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:11 am
Location: Mountain Fortress

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by nowaysj » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:58 am

dansci wrote:Question:

Is it bad to use remix stems(vocals/chants specifically) for one song and use it on another unrelated song?
You ask a lot of questions about the ethics of production. I think you should get a lawyer. :lol:
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

DrGatineau
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by DrGatineau » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:02 am

cyclopian wrote:Prob not a great look imo, especially on a vocal bit. Guess it depends how far you push the sound though.

In the end, wouldn't it be better to just source your own sound?
depends on the song though imo. if you're using lex luger chants in a trap song no one will care cause there's a sea of thousands of trap songs with the same chant. if it's used in an unrelated genre and you process the samples and change them and add your flavor to them (basically what Burial did), then that's usually seen as okay. if you're taking the vocals from a song in a very specific genre (ie Skream & Benga - The Judgment or Horsepower - Sholay) and don't do much processing...then yeah that's gonna be frowned upon.
Phigure wrote:a life permanently spent off road

not the life for me

User avatar
legend4ry
Posts: 10589
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:56 am
Location: Woolwich
Contact:

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by legend4ry » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:55 am

nowaysj wrote:Oh, you want to do all your live mic processing otb? Or your full mix?

What are you tryin'do?

Right, so ASIO don't let you stream out of DAW internally unless you use a third party software.


I want to go from my soundcard main output back into the Line In, this gives me the ability to not use third party stuff.

My main concern is that my microphone picks up on a lot of background noise so I need to run it through a noise gate.

To battle these two problems with one stone. I was thinking of taking Mainout and feeding it through a desk then using the desk to input the mic, take the Mainout of the desk into an input of the soundcard.

Theoretically it works I just want to know if using a cheap desk as a audio-through type job will kill my signal chain?
Soulstep wrote: My point is i just wanna hear more vibes
Soundcloud

User avatar
cyclopian
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:28 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by cyclopian » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:36 am

DrGatineau wrote:
cyclopian wrote:Prob not a great look imo, especially on a vocal bit. Guess it depends how far you push the sound though.

In the end, wouldn't it be better to just source your own sound?
depends on the song though imo. if you're using lex luger chants in a trap song no one will care cause there's a sea of thousands of trap songs with the same chant. if it's used in an unrelated genre and you process the samples and change them and add your flavor to them (basically what Burial did), then that's usually seen as okay. if you're taking the vocals from a song in a very specific genre (ie Skream & Benga - The Judgment or Horsepower - Sholay) and don't do much processing...then yeah that's gonna be frowned upon.
thx Mr. Devil's Advocate
:middlefinger:

DrGatineau
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by DrGatineau » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:20 am

:twisted: <-------------- he's a good guy i swear!
Phigure wrote:a life permanently spent off road

not the life for me

User avatar
hubb
Posts: 8823
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: ÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅ

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by hubb » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:14 pm

there are no rules

noisia as an example reversed an erik satie bit and released that

the frowning is done in a bedroom
OGLemon wrote:cowabunga dude

https://soundcloud.com/qloo/cowabunga-music-of-moby
fragments wrote:SWEEEEEEEEE!

https://soundcloud.com/qloo/cowabunga-t ... o-sweeeeee
Johnlenham wrote:evil euroland

User avatar
nowaysj
Posts: 23281
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:11 am
Location: Mountain Fortress

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by nowaysj » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:10 pm

legend4ry wrote:
nowaysj wrote:Oh, you want to do all your live mic processing otb? Or your full mix?

What are you tryin'do?

Right, so ASIO don't let you stream out of DAW internally unless you use a third party software.


I want to go from my soundcard main output back into the Line In, this gives me the ability to not use third party stuff.

My main concern is that my microphone picks up on a lot of background noise so I need to run it through a noise gate.

To battle these two problems with one stone. I was thinking of taking Mainout and feeding it through a desk then using the desk to input the mic, take the Mainout of the desk into an input of the soundcard.

Theoretically it works I just want to know if using a cheap desk as a audio-through type job will kill my signal chain?
But what is the bigger picture, what are you really trying to do? And what challenges are you facing?
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

User avatar
KosmonautOfficial
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:02 am
Location: Grand Rapids MI

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by KosmonautOfficial » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:09 pm

Is it wrong to use samples? I always hear people hating about artists using samples :(

User avatar
nowaysj
Posts: 23281
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:11 am
Location: Mountain Fortress

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by nowaysj » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:20 pm

When those people are sleeping put a pillow over their face and quickly press down. The first minute is the worst part.
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

User avatar
hubb
Posts: 8823
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: ÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅ

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by hubb » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:55 pm

and record it
OGLemon wrote:cowabunga dude

https://soundcloud.com/qloo/cowabunga-music-of-moby
fragments wrote:SWEEEEEEEEE!

https://soundcloud.com/qloo/cowabunga-t ... o-sweeeeee
Johnlenham wrote:evil euroland

User avatar
Samuel_L_Damnson
Posts: 3485
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:53 pm
Location: YORKSHIRE!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by Samuel_L_Damnson » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Then load it up in your favorite sampler
Soundcloud
Collaborative project with kai li:
http://soundcloud.com/genrli

ChadDub
Posts: 2234
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:45 pm
Location: Whooping Crane
Contact:

Re: Alright Newbies, Ask A Question

Post by ChadDub » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:48 pm

I used to be so against using "samples" that I made my own drums via a synth... now Idgaf... As long as it sounds good I like it idc.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests