Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

TMSV production Q&A / AMA

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby Johoosh » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:29 pm

^big up.

Good to see another 3xOsc warrior
https://soundcloud.com/kast-music/deft
RKM wrote:i am feeling levels of remorse like one of the yutes in charlie and the chocolate factory
Johoosh

Postby RADD » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:41 am

Do you buy vinyl? And if so how large is your collection and what are your favourite shops in the country?

After finishing a song do you start to hate it and what to add/change things?

Big up from the homeland :4:
RADD

Postby causaaaa » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:36 pm

First of all thanks for doing this tmsv, appreciate it.

So my only question would be, which is also just a more personal one in terms of inspiration. i tend to try lots of things to maybe get a even better sounding thing (whatever this might be, just a snare sample or another pattern or another oneshot, whatever, in general i just mean sounds) which i like more, even when i like the current situation already. i found that when sitting together with people making music, most people i collabed with just had something good and sticked to it whereas i wouldve been trying lots of different sounds, knob settings and samples to ideally achieve what ive already explained. since i barely start tunes with an initial idea and mostly experiment and things simply happen i'd like to know how this works for you. 2nd tiny thing: do you produce in key? for example i collabed with a guy who built and builds the tune around the snare and attuned everything to the snares pitch.

thanks in advance, marian!
causaaaa

Postby Johoosh » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:05 am

Also do you lowcut your subs on 3xOsc?

Ive read a lot of stuff reccomending to cut 10-20hz/wherever in subs to increase 'power' and 'control' but i always seem to have trouble doing this precisely on Parametric EQ 2 with any noticeable effects or accuracy.

Cheers :)
RKM wrote:i am feeling levels of remorse like one of the yutes in charlie and the chocolate factory
Johoosh

Postby soronery » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:58 am

johoosh, do you have a sub (as in a speaker sub) in your monitoring setup? i find that with para eq 2 if you set a low threshold with a tight curve as low as possible on the eq, then just 'roll' it up slowly through the freq range until you find the sweet spot. there will be a certain point where you've freed up some head room but without sacrificing impact of the sub note itself.

i may not have explained that clearly.

DiegoSapiens wrote:
zoronery frees the realness

DiegoSapiens wrote:
cheers coronary

_ronzlo_ wrote:
BIG UP YOSELF HAN SORO
soronery

Postby Johoosh » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:33 am

@soronery no dont have a sub atm mate i normally check subs by referencing on headphones & going between them and monitors. The room i produce in is far from being acoustically treated too

Normally sounds ok i just wondered about lowcutting as it seems to be a bit of a grey area
Johoosh

Postby ActionJesus » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:08 pm

hey man, big fan from mexico!
what have you been listening to lately?

any thoughts on the 130 sound? keysound, wen, etch, etc.
ActionJesus

Postby DrGatineau » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:09 am

How do you usually EQ kicks? do you usually lowcut out the fundamental/sub of the kick?
Phigure wrote:a life permanently spent off road

not the life for me
DrGatineau

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
Previous

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical