How did u all start out,and what programs did/have you used

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
feasible_weasel

Post by feasible_weasel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:49 pm

fliPPo wrote:in 960 AD when I moved to europe I was obducted and raped by vikings, and later taken to greenland where I started a thrash munt-core band playing the Yamaka. I formed an experimental side project with the late P.K. Ted-face durin the lonley winter months when we began work on a new genre called 'fucken choons' from which all modern music stemed. 9 years later, in 1840, I fell off the back of a donkey whilst on holiday in botswana and lost all memory. In an amneasic panic, I fled to Mongolia, where I was adopted by a tribe of horse-milk drinking wildmen. They taught me the ancient arts of the slide-guitar and beatboxing. All my tunes are digital remasters of our old tapedeck recordings from those days.
:o the story got a bit far fetched when u mentioned slide guitar and beat boxing as clearly u cant do both a once. :P
Macabre Unit Image

auan

Post by auan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:39 pm

feasible_weasel wrote:
fliPPo wrote:in 960 AD when I moved to europe I was obducted and raped by vikings, and later taken to greenland where I started a thrash munt-core band playing the Yamaka. I formed an experimental side project with the late P.K. Ted-face durin the lonley winter months when we began work on a new genre called 'fucken choons' from which all modern music stemed. 9 years later, in 1840, I fell off the back of a donkey whilst on holiday in botswana and lost all memory. In an amneasic panic, I fled to Mongolia, where I was adopted by a tribe of horse-milk drinking wildmen. They taught me the ancient arts of the slide-guitar and beatboxing. All my tunes are digital remasters of our old tapedeck recordings from those days.
:o the story got a bit far fetched when u mentioned slide guitar and beat boxing as clearly u cant do both a once. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ZX5qdIEB0

feasible_weasel

Post by feasible_weasel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Auan wrote:
feasible_weasel wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ZX5qdIEB0
:D that slide guitar looks like a flute
Macabre Unit Image

Post by __________ » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:44 pm

Misk wrote: reason's dope, get that. never used ejay or magix or anything...
you've NEVER used ejay? you don't know what you're missing. get to know! :lol:

chunkie

Post by chunkie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:07 am

used dance ejay back in 96 or 97

in about 10 minutes you'll be gearing up to steal the next rnb remix job off david morales!! :D

nastybobby

Post by nastybobby » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:15 pm

Been interested in electronic music ever since i was a kid [kraftwerk, blue monday]. Couldn't get my head round how music could be made without someone pressing a key or hitting a drum. Learned to play bass as the tools for electronic music were far too expensive back then. Played bass in a band, when that went 'tits up' bought myself a sh-101, then an atari st and a copy of cubase and took it from there, was baffled initially, had an old yamaha synth to use with cubase, hardly any polyphony, drums sounded terrible, had no outboard. Slowly got to grips with sequencing, then acid house 'hit'. The rest is a blur!

pdomino

Post by pdomino » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:05 am

Used to use some shitty german tracker style programs

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:16 pm

Started off with an MPC 2000xl back in 2000, used it to sequence a Virus, three electribes, a Yamaha DX200 and 01V. Great set up to bring live except I could afford it all and a car, busses trains and bruised knuckles from banging flight cases of doorways resulted. Ableton all the way now but I don't get the same reaction as when I was behind the ton of flashing knobby hardware.

cryptic

Post by cryptic » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:46 pm

Since age of 3 - started on the pots and pans!

kidlogic

Post by kidlogic » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:34 pm

Misk wrote:
cool cool. never used sampletank. i like ableton, a lot, but i find that it's sequencer interface is a little too different to the way that im used to working. to each his own though.
Dude. Seriously. Dude. Take a few hours and get to know it, its soooo worth it. It took me a long time to get into it cause I didnt like it at first either, but now the only problem I have with it is the size of things, and thats more of an issue with my laptop screen width (and my eyes going from staring at a computer screen) than the program itself. I love everything about Ableton and suggest everyone get to know that program. It even includes tutorials that are actually easy to follow and useful.

toiminto

Post by toiminto » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:57 pm

i started with trackers. first contact was i guess 1995, i dabbled with fast tracker. started making music 1997, with impulse tracker. did all kinds of stuff until got locked on idm in 1999. I used impulse tracker, buzz tracker and psycle tracker until 2004 or so, with occasional reason fiddling. After that got into ableton, and been using it since.

t

producethought

Post by producethought » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:47 pm

Sequence: Studied jazz theory at uni, as well as Pro-tools etc...recording arts

Drums - age 8
Fruity Loops - Age 15
Ableton 2 - Age 16
Guitar - studied through uni , 18-22
Reaktor - age 20
Max/Msp - age 22

thats about where I am at... the progression of things...

gomb

Post by gomb » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:59 pm

I was also a guitar hero up until about 16 or 17 when I started getting into electronica and started out on Acid, and eventually moved onto Reason 2....

captchabless

Post by captchabless » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:02 am

I've started producing whit Fast Tracker 2 (summer 96) then I switched to fruityloops, sometimes I used cubase, but I'm still in love with fruityloops 5 and cool edit for editing (I know it sucks but one day I will learn something new maybe)

konkanok

Post by konkanok » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:02 am

started playing bass when I was about 12, then started learning guitar, recording stuff on cool edit. got interested in drum and bass and got a copy of cubase, starting out with absolute basics (lm-7 all the way), that grew to battery and albino.... two years later i'm using albino 3 and battery 3 mainly, with bare other stupid synths/vsts. tried reason but never really got on with it.

sherbert mastodon

Post by sherbert mastodon » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:14 pm

Started at nine making oscillators from scratch, progressed to tape cutups with a boombox and a NES, which I would crash with a Game Genie, playing c64 tapes as audio.... then guitar and a tape deck, then pedals, then bouzouki and every other random instrument ever, made beats with three guitar pedals, got a yamaha cs01, then eJay for about two weeks, then FL Studio, then an SH101, and all my other crap. Genelex, Novation XStation, more FX, ableton, logic, and a keen eye for new methods of synthesis/noisemaking. Went through all manner of bands and such on the way.

tempest

Post by tempest » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:47 pm

bousouki :) :) sick