sampling

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
two oh one

Post by two oh one » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:23 am

Yeah, you came on here saying you were Quincy Jones or some shit like that...

:)

And I can't even remember any of my previous posts, so no probs. :) Sometimes I hardly remember the previous sentence I've typed.

Nah worries. I don't mind a bit of name calling. I more often than not deserve it.

:)
Ahier wrote: I like to push lego up cat bums

jason burns

Post by jason burns » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:08 pm

boring :roll:

jason burns

Post by jason burns » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:02 pm

i just posted it because i wasn't aware that sampling laws had become so strict. i'm sure it has alot to do with hip hop becoming so huge. as to the whole, "sampling is lame make your own sounds" thing, i think that beck was referring to that when he said "thats why hip hop sounds the way it does today." ie like a bunch of 6 year olds who just got a casio for christmas. (note to the hairsplitter massive: not all of it, just 90% of whats played on the radio here in the us)

auan

Post by auan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:43 pm

Beck, DJ Shadow, Prefuse73, Burial, Amon Tobin, even fuckin Fatboy Slim, have all made awesome records almost totally out of samples.

Autechre, Richie Hawtin/Plastikman, Plaid, Underworld, Juno Reactor have all made awesome records almost totally out of made up sounds.

Now shut up and get back to work.

pdomino

Post by pdomino » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:26 pm

Pharell is a good example i think. Bitty samples.

FSTZ

Post by FSTZ » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 pm

just change them enough that noone will notice.

do this until you are served a cease and desist order

noone watches us like they watch Beck.

it's truly sad that its harder to clear samples nowadays

but imagine if the drummer from the winstons got $1 everytime someone sampled his amen break.

he wouldn't have died broke and would have money to pass on to his children and grandchildren.

katana

Post by katana » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:07 am

Does somebody now about the precise formulation of the law on which copyright of samples is defined. It's obvious if you use a melody, but if you use just some shouting or horn or drum sound who can prove that it's from him - just because it sounds like the original. There must be some (mathematical) measure on which this is based. I know that there companies which recreate samples for you, you send'em the sample you want to use and they re-record it somehow, working together with all kinds of professional musicians and singers.

jason burns

Post by jason burns » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:57 pm

i wonder how much kanye west has to spend on sample clearence.
i love his new album but it's got soooo many samples

tempest

Post by tempest » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:49 pm

Random sample trivia #001

In the new Wu-tang album coming out soon, they have the first ever legit cleared Beatles sample.. "while my guitar gently weeps" is the tune they sample from I think.

the lone raver

Post by the lone raver » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:06 pm

one of the earliest controversies over the issue: http://www.benedict.com/Audio/KLF/Klf.aspx

if any of you happen to chance across "dancing queen" on one of those nefarious file sharing programs - I don't advocating their use for material that is or will be commercially available, then check it out, it hilarious.
He danced for eighteen hours staring straight into the sun, until at length a great vision came... He believed the world was made of shadow and that he could dream himself into the real world that lay beyond...