Page 1 of 1

Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:43 am
by Ema_geodiV
I'm just wondering where do DJ's or producers promote their mixes?

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:02 am
by RADD
They mix at parties and radiostations

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:26 am
by soronery
go to parties
meet promoters and other djs
give out copies of mix
network
get booking
play good set
repeat

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:46 am
by mt1
While this advice is good for DJs, who primarily perform mixes live- for producers it is often the reverse where the music is created without live elements and then live elements are designed around the music. I'd love to go and "play my music live" but honestly without a lot of work (and I have a demanding salaried day job) that's not really a thing I can do :-\

Eventually I want to play my electronic music live, but am not there yet. Are there other things that can be done until soroney and RADD's advice can be followed?

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:14 pm
by xtcvsmistycold
mt1 wrote:While this advice is good for DJs, who primarily perform mixes live- for producers it is often the reverse where the music is created without live elements and then live elements are designed around the music. I'd love to go and "play my music live" but honestly without a lot of work (and I have a demanding salaried day job) that's not really a thing I can do :-\

Eventually I want to play my electronic music live, but am not there yet. Are there other things that can be done until soroney and RADD's advice can be followed?


OP do radio, put mixes on soundcloud and mixcloud, give out mix cds at nights

basically do radio though

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:56 pm
by mt1
Your advice is good, but not sure what your missing about my statement there-- unless I'm just going to go and cross fade my tracks together which is kind of lame.

And few people I know who like dubstep care about radio

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:09 pm
by xtcvsmistycold
mt1 wrote:Your advice is good, but not sure what your missing about my statement there-- unless I'm just going to go and cross fade my tracks together which is kind of lame.
doesn't make sense

r u talking about a live set like with hardware or ableton?

as a dj you've got control over the experiences of a club full of people. if you can't think of anyway to creatively sequence tracks of your choice to generate a response then you shouldn't be playing
mt1 wrote:And few people I know who like dubstep care about radio
the radio format isn't outdated. if your show is good there will be listeners

everyone i know who likes dubstep cares about radio

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:31 pm
by mt1
Firstly, a disclaimer: I'm just an amateur electronic music producer, give me some slack!

About DJing: I see what your saying- but I'm not a DJ- I don't particularly enjoy DJ'ing other people's tracks, that's just not what I've been doing. I've been studying music production because I enjoy it. I produce my own music in a DAW. I could go and "creatively sequence" my tracks at the surface level easily, but it would be boring. A more entertaining show would involve lots of live manipulation, which I can do but I don't currently have any hardware to really do it and my tracks aren't arranged around that because of it. I'm not saying that a good live show isn't something important- I'm just saying I don't feel like I have the chops to do it yet, so "then you shouldn't be playing" is exactly the point I'm getting to. I would invest the time and money in the hardware if I had some sense that people would enjoy it at shows, so its a bit of a catch-22.

I learn about new EDM music that I like from online music discovery sources like Soundcloud, Rdio/Spotify, and social media.

I'm just trying to learn new ways to promote my music, primarily in the digital space. My go-to would be to complete tracks and ship them into the same music discovery sources that I listen from which is my current goal, but there are probably other cool ways to promote that haven't been mentioned here, which is why I popped in.

For instance what about remix competitions?

As for the radio format: Fair enough, but I never learn of dubstep from radio unless it's the super mainstream kind of stuff, but I probably heard about those tracks somewhere else first anyway. Keep in mind I live in a smaller area where the radio is primarily top 40. If you're in a bigger city with dedicated EDM stations then I get that radio is still a thing around those parts.

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:54 pm
by xtcvsmistycold
mt1 wrote:Firstly, a disclaimer: I'm just an amateur electronic music producer, give me some slack!

About DJing: I see what your saying- but I'm not a DJ- I don't particularly enjoy DJ'ing other people's tracks, that's just not what I've been doing. I've been studying music production because I enjoy it. I produce my own music in a DAW. I could go and "creatively sequence" my tracks at the surface level easily, but it would be boring. A more entertaining show would involve lots of live manipulation, which I can do but I don't currently have any hardware to really do it and my tracks aren't arranged around that because of it. I'm not saying that a good live show isn't something important- I'm just saying I don't feel like I have the chops to do it yet, so "then you shouldn't be playing" is exactly the point I'm getting to. I would invest the time and money in the hardware if I had some sense that people would enjoy it at shows, so its a bit of a catch-22.

I learn about new EDM music that I like from online music discovery sources like Soundcloud, Rdio/Spotify, and social media.

I'm just trying to learn new ways to promote my music, primarily in the digital space. My go-to would be to complete tracks and ship them into the same music discovery sources that I listen from which is my current goal, but there are probably other cool ways to promote that haven't been mentioned here, which is why I popped in.

For instance what about remix competitions?

As for the radio format: Fair enough, but I never learn of dubstep from radio unless it's the super mainstream kind of stuff, but I probably heard about those tracks somewhere else first anyway. Keep in mind I live in a smaller area where the radio is primarily top 40. If you're in a bigger city with dedicated EDM stations then I get that radio is still a thing around those parts.
i don't really mean commercial radio, some commercial radio but a lot more internet radio

seen ok u mean live shows not dj sets. idk much about that

honestly i think that the attitude of "promoting myself" & getting my stuff heard by as many people as possible is a bit lost

the artist should be focussed on creating quality original work. if the music is good enough it will do it's own promotion (send it to labels and djs obviously) it will get played in sets, it'll get signed for releases, featured in magazines etc. generate it's own hype

it just seems that so often (esp with edm) the process is - make a generic, unoriginal track that could have been produced by any one of thousands of producers (because of the popularity of edm and availablity of DAWs), send the track to youtube channels, blogs, upload it on soundcloud, spam fb etc. basically acting like getting the track heard is the ideal end result. Ultimately it's gonna be frustrating cos a lot of people are doing exactly the same thing

focus on releases and building a discography imo

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:04 pm
by mt1
xtcvsmistycold wrote: the artist should be focussed on creating quality original work. if the music is good enough it will do it's own promotion (send it to labels and djs obviously) it will get played in sets, it'll get signed for releases, featured in magazines etc. generate it's own hype
xtcvsmistycold wrote: it just seems that so often (esp with edm) the process is - make a generic, unoriginal track that could have been produced by any one of thousands of producers (because of the popularity of edm and availablity of DAWs), send the track to youtube channels, blogs, upload it on soundcloud, spam fb etc. basically acting like getting the track heard is the ideal end result. Ultimately it's gonna be frustrating cos a lot of people are doing exactly the same thing

focus on releases and building a discography imo
Fair enough, and I agree with this entire post for sure. Finishing and releasing and sending it to labels and DJs is definitely my biggest take away here. I'll just keep pushing towards that! Thanks!

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:07 pm
by back_beat
get an agent, some press shots and buy a mailing list so u can promote ur first single tbh

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:29 pm
by soronery
also if you have been at it more than 3years and still haven't been signed you should probably give up

and by signed I mean to a real label not some shitty web label you can set up in three clicks

Re: Where do they promote their stuffs??

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:37 pm
by mt1
soronery wrote:also if you have been at it more than 3years and still haven't been signed you should probably give up

and by signed I mean to a real label not some shitty web label you can set up in three clicks
Well, I make music for me primarily, as a hobby. But I'd love to blend what I like to do with music people like to listen to. Never give up :-)