U-he Presswerk anyone?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
fragments

U-he Presswerk anyone?

Post by fragments » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:33 am

Anyone else rocking U-he Presswerk? I could happily uninstall all my other compressors I think, though I've not tried loading more than a half dozen instances yet. The detection controls are fantastic as well as the saturation section. M/S options are nice. Mix section with HPF. Sidechain. Sounds as clean/dirty as you like. Well worth the 89 dollar first offer price...I wouldn't have blinked at 129 though.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

_ronzlo_

Re: U-he Presswerk anyone?

Post by _ronzlo_ » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:44 pm

Now THAT looks verrrrrry sexy - Swiss Army Knife dynamics shaping. Have you pushed it to see if it does anything interesting (analog-y) in high gain setups or to get pumping drums?
nowaysj wrote: ...But the chick's panties that you drop with a keytar, marry that B.

_Agu_

Post by _Agu_ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:09 am

I think there was thread on IDMforums about this and people seemed to be quite happy with it.

fragments

Post by fragments » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:31 am

_ronzlo_ wrote:Now THAT looks verrrrrry sexy - Swiss Army Knife dynamics shaping. Have you pushed it to see if it does anything interesting (analog-y) in high gain setups or to get pumping drums?
Yes. It does seem to pump nicely using the analog style detection mode. It can get pretty gooey, which I like. The saturation section is nice if that is the kind of analogy you are talking about as well.

I dunno if I'm nuts or if its because its a new toy, but it seems to sound 100x better--read more "alive"--than NI Solid Bus Comp, all the stock FL Compressors and any of the Waves compressors I've ever used (had the CLA Classic Comps for a few years and PIE Compressor, never liked any of them).

I feel like it brings things to life, especially on a bus or the master, unlike an other VST compressor I've used. Again, I might just be in the honeymoon phase, but its worth a demo for sure.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Need more data.
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

AxeD

Post by AxeD » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:30 pm

The demo runs normally for two minutes and then adds watermarks.
Still gives a nice idea of the type of control you have etc..
Agent 47 wrote:Next time I can think of something, I will.

fragments

Post by fragments » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:49 pm

I'll try to post an example song with a lot of Presswerk on it. Maybe not today. First day of class. I dread it more than the students!

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:13 pm

2 minutes before watermark? F this guy. First all those horrible knobs, now this.
Join Me
Soundcloud

fragments

Post by fragments » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:23 pm

nowaysj wrote:2 minutes before watermark? F this guy. First all those horrible knobs, now this.
That is pretty lame.

Sharmaji

Post by Sharmaji » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:16 pm

curious.

i tend to feel like i've got all my bases covered between Mpressor, 1176/2a/3a, rcomp,and ff comp and multiband-- not that there aren't plenty of other great comp plugs out there, but what am i missing by not having this one?
twitter.com/sharmabeats
twitter.com/SubSwara
subswara.com
myspace.com/davesharma
Low Motion Records, Soul Motive, TKG, Daly City, Mercury UK

fragments

Post by fragments » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:25 pm

Sharmaji wrote:curious.

i tend to feel like i've got all my bases covered between Mpressor, 1176/2a/3a, rcomp,and ff comp and multiband-- not that there aren't plenty of other great comp plugs out there, but what am i missing by not having this one?
Not sure I'm qualified to answer, but I'm not sure you are missing anything. I decided to sell all my Slate digital plugs including VBC. Sold CLA Compressors a while back. So I was left with NI Sold Bus Comp and the FL native stuff. This seemed to pretty much cover those, more or less, with one plug in.

Sharmaji

Post by Sharmaji » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:47 am

^ right on man-- all about having the tools you actually use, and can work quickly with to get results you dig. booooom
twitter.com/sharmabeats
twitter.com/SubSwara
subswara.com
myspace.com/davesharma

fragments

Post by fragments » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 am

^Between the different "detection modes" and the saturation section...I can make it as vintage or modern as I like. I don't really know much about all these recreations of famous hardware compressors. Haven't used the real thing. Something that I can dial in the right settings by ear rather than guessing which emulation to use is quicker/better for me. I'm not sure if it sounds like an famous hardware compressors, nor do I care ;p

legend4ry

Post by legend4ry » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:43 am

How is it on the CPU?

U-He don't make very CPU friendly stuff.

Even with my beefy 4.2 i5 Diva 50%s on me all the time.
Soulstep wrote: My point is i just wanna hear more vibes
Soundcloud

fragments

Post by fragments » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:06 pm

legend4ry wrote:How is it on the CPU?

U-He don't make very CPU friendly stuff.

Even with my beefy 4.2 i5 Diva 50%s on me all the time.
I'm bad at rating things in this regard. I've also got U-he Satin which is pretty hefty on CPU, but I feel like Presswerk isn't as bad as Satin. Depending on what else is running...I could probably have 3 Satin and 3 Presswerk instances running at the same time no problem.

Also...general CPU usage question...am I crazy or do VSTs use more CPU when they are on a bus with a bunch of stuff routed to them? I usually mix into U-he Satin these days then when I get to the point where I want an EQ and a couple compressors on the master my CPU maxes like instantly. Disable the master bus stuff, back to running smooth.

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:13 pm

Master buss stuff is oversampling? x4, x8?
Join Me
Soundcloud

fragments

Post by fragments » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:05 am

nowaysj wrote:Master buss stuff is oversampling? x4, x8?

:( ....shrug??? What am I missing : ( : ( should I be oversampling?! Just wanna write music for fuck sake :corncry:

nowaysj

Post by nowaysj » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:18 am

If you want it easy, get an acoustic guitar. Maybe an upright piano. :)

Usually mastering level plugins will allow you to oversample, putting digital aliasing out of the audible range. Usually represented by a x2, x4, x8 or more.

But, it doesn't sound right that a plugin would use more cpu on a buss rather than an individual channel. Maybe if you have processing turned off for unused inputs... I don't know. Sounds far fetched. I'd set up a test song file, and just really drill down on the behavior you're seeing. This is like a 5 minute exercise, nothing crazy.
Join Me
Soundcloud

Sharmaji

Post by Sharmaji » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:32 am

at least in Logic, having an instrument channel selected takes up a ton of CPU power-- the comp is waiting for incoming info. There's been plenty of times where just selecting an empty channel has made an ever-growing gargantuan project play back smoother.

finishing up a record over the last few days, and the older projects that are playing back from my storage firewire drive are running waaaaaaay slower that the ones on my current ATA audio drive. That could be a culprit, too.
twitter.com/sharmabeats
twitter.com/SubSwara
subswara.com
myspace.com/davesharma

fragments

Post by fragments » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:57 am

Thanks ya'll. I'll be checking all this out. When I'm mixing I'm typically running long audio files from a RAID drive (not multi striped or whatever, just a primary drive, and back up drive). Thanks for the thoughts on CPU etc.

It could also be that I use Satin and compressors more on buses than on individual channels so it seems like more CPU on buses...

*I 'm still loving Presswerk. Like pure <3 Been using FL Limier (compressor) and NI Solid Bus Comp for a long damn while...mmmmm Presswerk...yea...legit. :U: