Sound Design & Song Improvising w/o Controller

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Locked
DimensionX
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:16 am

Sound Design & Song Improvising w/o Controller

Post by DimensionX » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:32 am

My goal is to not press stop and make a song from scratch without a controller. Between init patches and desired sound, I design in a musical way as if it were a performance, similar to how a djing selects songs between songs except Im making the songs that im switching between. Another key is to let it repeat too long that it gets boring unless its catchy.

I basically start with an init patch in any synth and get a melody or chord progression in a short loop (for performing practice) and then match either or with either.

Then I make percussive sounds in a synth and start creating a rhythm.

Then I start sound designing (both in synth and post fx) and making rhythms until it gets too repetitive

The next part gets difficult to create the next loop especially so I somtimes just record the melody/chord progressions on the spot and tune waveforms but it starts to get repetitive after awhile (time to learn theory!). But of course this way you can do some waveform editing (still without pressing stop)

This is where I sometimes find my best sounds I mightn't have made in another way. This also is really good practice to get to know your tools so you can get your ideas out faster.

Im looking for any other ways I can make music on the fly as I get very bored of trying to go back to a song I created in a time and space I'm not present in anymore... Ideas/thoughts/feelings more than welcome!

User avatar
soronery
Posts: 1642
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 am
Location: Pyongyang

Re: Sound Design & Song Improvising w/o Controller

Post by soronery » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:35 am

Record everything you do. Once you've got a rhythm going for a two/three hour jam session, and are actually going through progressions etc, you can easily find an 8min chunk to cut out and edit into a track.
Image

DiegoSapiens wrote:
zoronery frees the realness

DiegoSapiens wrote:
cheers coronary

_ronzlo_ wrote:
BIG UP YOSELF HAN SORO

User avatar
AxeD
Posts: 9361
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:10 pm
Location: Damstarem

Re: Sound Design & Song Improvising w/o Controller

Post by AxeD » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:22 am

Pretty much how I make all my music. It's going to get repetitive though, because
you don't have enough control over the DAW if you want to keep everything going.
Agent 47 wrote:Next time I can think of something, I will.

SaveMidnight
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:00 am

Re: Sound Design & Song Improvising w/o Controller

Post by SaveMidnight » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:57 pm

Honestly I feel Like that depends on your DAW. That doesn't sound that difficult on Ableton or Reason, but it might be a pain in Reaper or Pro Tools.

SaveMidnight
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:00 am

Re: Sound Design & Song Improvising w/o Controller

Post by SaveMidnight » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:57 pm

Honestly I feel Like that depends on your DAW. That doesn't sound that difficult on Ableton or Reason, but it might be a pain in Reaper or Pro Tools.

fragments
Posts: 3552
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: NEOhio
Contact:

Re: Sound Design & Song Improvising w/o Controller

Post by fragments » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:27 pm

You are looking for a new way to do this w/o a controller just using a mouse? I mean besides recording while you are doing this or doing things in a different order I'm not sure how different you can make the process w/o changing the input method. Honestly playing in things live via some kind of "instrument" is going to be the biggest game changer according to the process you describe...at least IMHO... even if "playing the instrument" is live tweaking knobs for synth parameters...
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

User avatar
topmo3
Posts: 4657
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:14 am
Location: Finland

Re: Sound Design & Song Improvising w/o Controller

Post by topmo3 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:53 pm

I didn't get anything tbh
Image

User avatar
nowaysj
Posts: 23281
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:11 am
Location: Mountain Fortress

Re: Sound Design & Song Improvising w/o Controller

Post by nowaysj » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:56 pm

DimensionX wrote:Im looking for any other ways I can make music on the fly as I get very bored of trying to go back to a song I created in a time and space I'm not present in anymore... Ideas/thoughts/feelings more than welcome!
Consider this, my unknown dimension: as we practice our craft and art, we develop abilities. Much has been discovered and disseminated about neural plasticity. Most recently I've absolutely confirmed this for myself. My musical imagination has expanded greatly. It is an ability I never had before. Perhaps other people have always had this? I'm trying to understand this now. But I can hear and remember sound now in MUCH greater detail, like I can remember the actual recording. I can image the sound. It is like I'm listening to cd audio in my head now. This is an ability, I promise you, I did not have before, but after much time spent very precisely listening, I've developed this ability. This has been prelude for the following point:

You can work towards developing your ability to expand the time and space of your consciousness to include multiple sessions. Through concerted effort, you can expand your ability to get into that particular groove again. Once you can do this, you can invest more in your song making. You can execute greater musical/sonic thoughts and visions than you could if you avoid these challenges and merely keep your abilities of concentration at a flaccid 2 hour session.

Think on what difficulty is: a cliche: pain is weakness leaving the body, but this is true for many things. We are the plastic animal. We can expand our abilities into anything we desire through concerted, sustained, and actually onerous work. Obviously, no one wants to work. We'd all love to wake up to a massage, maybe a little bouncy bouncy, a warm bath, a gourmet meal, a saunter into the studio in our silk robe to press some buttons and kick out the most amazing jams, all in time for our mid morning nap... but you will actually achieve absolutely nothing if you proceed in this manner, if you don't confront the challenges that face you. If every time you are confronted with a challenge, you opt to avoid the challenge, looking for parallel, less onerous solutions, you will never develop your abilities. If, instead, you square up to the challenge, and you surmount it through concentration and difficulty, and do so again and again, those challenges will become your abilities, everything difficult that you've learned to do will be your strengths. You will do and make greater things than if you simply looked for alternatives to the work.

I'm not saying this in condensation, I'm saying this to myself. There are parts of music making that have always been difficult for me, in fact, I'm an extremely unmusical person, like I mentioned, I've only recently developed my musical imagination (see http://www.amazon.com/Musicophilia-Tale ... 1400033535 by the way for a discussion of musical imagination). But for the past 15 years I've been avoiding learning the keyboard, the PRIMARY interface to daw/electronic music. I hate the keyboard, and I hate the music theory that lies beneath it. Honestly, such an archaic and duplicitous system for understanding music... I really feel a totally new system of understanding could come about to describe the same underlying principles in a consistent, more readily apparent manner. But beyond that, and as it stands, the system is the system, and I've hated it, and been confused by it the whole time, so have sought parallel solutions, I've avoided the conflict. TO MY DETRIMENT. I've not achieved what I've wanted to achieve because of my inability to play keys. Wasted so many years. I get the sense that you are young. But I promise you, time is short, we have far less time than we think we do, and learning these abilities takes a great amount of time. In looking at people who achieve musical success (not popular success, but actual musical expressiveness) they almost always start out young, and practice A LOT at what they do.

In the beginning, bouncing off of challenges and moving around is a great way to develop a map of music making. There are many ways to make music, and until you've moved around much of it, it doesn't make sense to marry issues you're not really committed to. But once you've moved about for a time, and developed your map of music, SQUARE UP AND WORK.

:U:
Join Me
DiegoSapiens wrote:oh fucking hell now i see how on point was nowaysj
Soundcloud

fragments
Posts: 3552
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: NEOhio
Contact:

Re: Sound Design & Song Improvising w/o Controller

Post by fragments » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:37 am

nowaysj wrote:
DimensionX wrote:Im looking for any other ways I can make music on the fly as I get very bored of trying to go back to a song I created in a time and space I'm not present in anymore... Ideas/thoughts/feelings more than welcome!
Consider this, my unknown dimension: as we practice our craft and art, we develop abilities. Much has been discovered and disseminated about neural plasticity. Most recently I've absolutely confirmed this for myself. My musical imagination has expanded greatly. It is an ability I never had before. Perhaps other people have always had this? I'm trying to understand this now. But I can hear and remember sound now in MUCH greater detail, like I can remember the actual recording. I can image the sound. It is like I'm listening to cd audio in my head now. This is an ability, I promise you, I did not have before, but after much time spent very precisely listening, I've developed this ability. This has been prelude for the following point:

You can work towards developing your ability to expand the time and space of your consciousness to include multiple sessions. Through concerted effort, you can expand your ability to get into that particular groove again. Once you can do this, you can invest more in your song making. You can execute greater musical/sonic thoughts and visions than you could if you avoid these challenges and merely keep your abilities of concentration at a flaccid 2 hour session.

Think on what difficulty is: a cliche: pain is weakness leaving the body, but this is true for many things. We are the plastic animal. We can expand our abilities into anything we desire through concerted, sustained, and actually onerous work. Obviously, no one wants to work. We'd all love to wake up to a massage, maybe a little bouncy bouncy, a warm bath, a gourmet meal, a saunter into the studio in our silk robe to press some buttons and kick out the most amazing jams, all in time for our mid morning nap... but you will actually achieve absolutely nothing if you proceed in this manner, if you don't confront the challenges that face you. If every time you are confronted with a challenge, you opt to avoid the challenge, looking for parallel, less onerous solutions, you will never develop your abilities. If, instead, you square up to the challenge, and you surmount it through concentration and difficulty, and do so again and again, those challenges will become your abilities, everything difficult that you've learned to do will be your strengths. You will do and make greater things than if you simply looked for alternatives to the work.

I'm not saying this in condensation, I'm saying this to myself. There are parts of music making that have always been difficult for me, in fact, I'm an extremely unmusical person, like I mentioned, I've only recently developed my musical imagination (see http://www.amazon.com/Musicophilia-Tale ... 1400033535 by the way for a discussion of musical imagination). But for the past 15 years I've been avoiding learning the keyboard, the PRIMARY interface to daw/electronic music. I hate the keyboard, and I hate the music theory that lies beneath it. Honestly, such an archaic and duplicitous system for understanding music... I really feel a totally new system of understanding could come about to describe the same underlying principles in a consistent, more readily apparent manner. But beyond that, and as it stands, the system is the system, and I've hated it, and been confused by it the whole time, so have sought parallel solutions, I've avoided the conflict. TO MY DETRIMENT. I've not achieved what I've wanted to achieve because of my inability to play keys. Wasted so many years. I get the sense that you are young. But I promise you, time is short, we have far less time than we think we do, and learning these abilities takes a great amount of time. In looking at people who achieve musical success (not popular success, but actual musical expressiveness) they almost always start out young, and practice A LOT at what they do.

In the beginning, bouncing off of challenges and moving around is a great way to develop a map of music making. There are many ways to make music, and until you've moved around much of it, it doesn't make sense to marry issues you're not really committed to. But once you've moved about for a time, and developed your map of music, SQUARE UP AND WORK.

:U:

:n: :5: :E: :R: :v: :Z: :B: :C: :big up recording crew: :dubstep rave: :halfstep rave: :bins: :lee: :deephouse party: :studio:
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests