producing for free on a mac...

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Locked
Elkie
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Birmingham/Leicester
Contact:

producing for free on a mac...

Post by Elkie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:01 pm

yeah, i know youll all just tell me to search, but ive heard a lot about several apps (acid etc) recently releasing free stripped down versions, and i dunno if that would make any difference to what you guys say...

plus, its good to talk :)

so yeah, im thinking about maybe playing about a bit and like, starting to try and build some tunes...
what software would be best for just casually toying around with on a very tight (non existant) budget?

at the minute i have garage band, but to me this seems extremely limited, like, just stringing together loops?

im not expecting to be whacking out tunes that are worthy of anyone elses eardrums, but like, theres gotta be some more creative option than just stringing together loops surely?

cheers guys, please dont hate me :)

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Post by serox » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:22 pm

I really dont understand why anyone would buy software when you can download it for free. I dont like to rip people off but these software companies make enough money from business who buy the software imo. Thats the beauty of the internet:)

All my mates who make music download it for free...


/me runs.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

Elkie
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Birmingham/Leicester
Contact:

Post by Elkie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:29 pm

im not talking like, illegal downloads, since im at uni and i cant really use limewire or anything even if i did want to download stuff illegally.

just like, free stripped down versions ( a la acid) or freeware and stuff like that?
cheers anyway though!

manray
Posts: 1293
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:09 am

Post by manray » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:35 pm

Serox wrote:I really dont understand why anyone would buy software when you can download it for free. I dont like to rip people off but these software companies make enough money from business who buy the software imo. Thats the beauty of the internet:)

All my mates who make music download it for free...


/me runs.

So i suppose if you were ever to get the chance to release music commercially you wouldn't expect people to pay for your music when they can download it for free?

You are naive when you say 'these software companies make enough money' because you dont know what you are talking about, talking pure arsehole. There are also plenty of guys sitting at home making software/VSTs by themselves, do you still rip them off and download them for free? Thats their livelyhood.

I'm not making judgement on the downloading, thats for you, I'm just saying that dont live in your bubbleworld thinking that what you are doing is completely harmless. It all depends.......

User avatar
betamaxnomates
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:04 am
Location: Tokyo
Contact:

Post by betamaxnomates » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:44 pm

A lot of hardware comes bundled with CD's of either Acid or Ableton Live Lite so you might try hunting out some of those. I actually had, I think, three copies of Live Lite that I threw away just before Christmas.
Garageband is actually a quite underrated tool - very similar to Logic in many ways.

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Post by serox » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:51 pm

manray wrote:
So i suppose if you were ever to get the chance to release music commercially you wouldn't expect people to pay for your music when they can download it for free?

You are naive when you say 'these software companies make enough money' because you dont know what you are talking about, talking pure arsehole. There are also plenty of guys sitting at home making software/VSTs by themselves, do you still rip them off and download them for free? Thats their livelyhood.

I'm not making judgement on the downloading, thats for you, I'm just saying that dont live in your bubbleworld thinking that what you are doing is completely harmless. It all depends.......
Wow, never heard any1 speak like that about software. Everyone i know who has a computer uses torrents for software, films etc.

You telling me you have no warez on your PC? Your OS is legal? you have not ripped any music?!

serox
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 am
Location: South London

Post by serox » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:52 pm

TightLife wrote:im not talking like, illegal downloads, since im at uni and i cant really use limewire or anything even if i did want to download stuff illegally.

just like, free stripped down versions ( a la acid) or freeware and stuff like that?
cheers anyway though!
btw limewire should be avoided at all costs. You will download virus's using that software for sure. Torrents is the way forward.
Don’t worry about people stealing an idea. If it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

User avatar
djake
Posts: 4314
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:03 am
Location: I found my way out of the mine

Post by djake » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:54 pm

BETAMAXNOMATES wrote:A lot of hardware comes bundled with CD's of either Acid or Ableton Live Lite so you might try hunting out some of those. I actually had, I think, three copies of Live Lite that I threw away just before Christmas.
Garageband is actually a quite underrated tool - very similar to Logic in many ways.
yea my sound card came wiv live lite...u get a cheap upgrade aswell

Elkie
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Birmingham/Leicester
Contact:

Post by Elkie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:17 pm

Serox wrote:
TightLife wrote:im not talking like, illegal downloads, since im at uni and i cant really use limewire or anything even if i did want to download stuff illegally.

just like, free stripped down versions ( a la acid) or freeware and stuff like that?
cheers anyway though!
btw limewire should be avoided at all costs. You will download virus's using that software for sure. Torrents is the way forward.
ive used limewire for like, as long as ive used macintoshes (3 years-ish?) and never ended up with a virus.

the way the mac operating system works, you have to put in your password to make any major changes to the operating system or anything
this combined with the fact that no one really bothers coding viruses for macs cause of the tiny percentage of computer users that use them mean that theyre quite a bit safer on the internet than windows pcs, as far as i am aware
but yeah, ive never had any sort of virus or anything.
cheers for the heads up though!

so yeah, you guys reckon i should just plod on with garage band?
the thing is it all just seems so basic, like, you cant use plugins or anythign with it can you?
i dont really want to waste time using the garageband interface, only to reach its limits then have to relearn something else in order to progress..

manray
Posts: 1293
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:09 am

Post by manray » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Serox wrote:
manray wrote:
So i suppose if you were ever to get the chance to release music commercially you wouldn't expect people to pay for your music when they can download it for free?

You are naive when you say 'these software companies make enough money' because you dont know what you are talking about, talking pure arsehole. There are also plenty of guys sitting at home making software/VSTs by themselves, do you still rip them off and download them for free? Thats their livelyhood.

I'm not making judgement on the downloading, thats for you, I'm just saying that dont live in your bubbleworld thinking that what you are doing is completely harmless. It all depends.......
Wow, never heard any1 speak like that about software. Everyone i know who has a computer uses torrents for software, films etc.

You telling me you have no warez on your PC? Your OS is legal? you have not ripped any music?!
Like i said, i'm not making judgement on the downloading. Nobody has enough money for pay for everything unless they wanna be broke as fuck or bored as fuck. I'm just saying, dont go on like it's nothing, like jacking up everything means nothing. There are some people that there that do need to make a living on it.

I do download but i've paid for plenty of stuff that i think is worth while.

djelements
Posts: 6830
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: First dsf male lesbian/Savannah, GA

Post by djelements » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:48 pm

manray wrote:
I do download but i've paid for plenty of stuff that i think is worth while.
Sounds reasonable to me. Btw, for mac production, I'm going to have to wank for Renoise.

http://www.renoise.com/ It's beautiful.

Renoise coupled with Albino is great for making your first tune. Which I have not done, because I make some drums, and then start thinking I should have done x with y and I end up making something else.

http://www.robpapen.com/synths/albino/
Last edited by djelements on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://soundcloud.com/helixdelay
kejk wrote:I prefer the pooper

User avatar
Sharmaji
Posts: 5179
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:03 pm
Location: Brooklyn NYC
Contact:

Post by Sharmaji » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:50 pm

haven't used garageband in a while but you can definitely use any audio unit plugin with it. i'm amazed that it's free, as a sequencer it's totally adequate for getting down quick ideas. it also supports rewire.

logic express is only like $150, right?
twitter.com/sharmabeats
twitter.com/SubSwara
subswara.com
myspace.com/davesharma
Low Motion Records, Soul Motive, TKG, Daly City, Mercury UK

User avatar
thesynthesist
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: the Right side of Computo's brain...
Contact:

Post by thesynthesist » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:07 pm

Serox wrote: Wow, never heard any1 speak like that about software. Everyone i know who has a computer uses torrents for software, films etc.

You telling me you have no warez on your PC? Your OS is legal? you have not ripped any music?!
You're a fucking moron.

djelements
Posts: 6830
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: First dsf male lesbian/Savannah, GA

Post by djelements » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:40 am

thesynthesist wrote: You're a fucking moron.
Quote of the day, brah.
http://soundcloud.com/helixdelay
kejk wrote:I prefer the pooper

User avatar
renegatus
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Bath/Bristol

Post by renegatus » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:27 am

GarageBand ain't so bad, if you actually play around with it and try and find out how to do what you want, it's quite a nice tool, free too. Because it's so simple you don't find yourself getting lost in a myriad of controls, whereas tools like Ableton can really throw you off. I was making all my loops in GarageBand and then chucking them in Ableton to add effects and filters, etc., you might want to try that? Or just stick with GB!

User avatar
betamaxnomates
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:04 am
Location: Tokyo
Contact:

Post by betamaxnomates » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:06 pm

Yeah. I think Garageband is often overlooked as a production tool (I guess because it comes free with your computer most people assume it's rubbish) but as TeReKeTe says you can use any VST or AU plugin with it and the interface is pretty much 'Logic-Lite'.

cixxxj
Posts: 2529
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:01 pm
Location: Bologna, Italy
Contact:

Post by cixxxj » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:53 pm

let me tell you about a great tool which comes (almost) for free (donationware)

http://www.gleetchplug.com/Gleetchplug/Software.html

the developer refers to it as a "Glitch Authoring Soft" but in the soft actually you got oscs and so, have a little patience and exploit it... it can host vsts too!
half of DUBBWUNE - BASS PON MI radio show NEW STATION/TIME TBA! - Resident on http://www.RampRadio.Co.Uk - cixxxj on twitter - part of myspace.com/BasementUniverseProd - ESSI VIVONO Fridays on RCDC FM - DUBVERSION Saturdays on http://www.RadioKairos.it FM & Streaming 4 PM

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests