US beats. MY beats. TRACK FEEDBACK for a n00b.

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

KEEP ON OR KILL IT EARLY?

KEEP ON!
42%
KILL THE DREAM BITCH!
8%
AMERICANS HAVE NO BUSINESS PRODUCING DUBSTEP!
50%

Total votes: 26

diaspora

US beats. MY beats. TRACK FEEDBACK for a n00b.

Post by diaspora » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:57 am

I wonder about how to represent my cross section of the planet in regards to this music. You know, I don't want to just make it gangsta because I'm from Southern Calofornia, but maybe there's something to it. After fidgeting and fiddling for some hours, I managed to create this beat that I think is pretty strong. It may be predicatable by US standards, but I don't know, I'm out on a limb here. I have been making beats for the better part of 5 years and this is just a small sample of what I have been on with, I would like some feedback. This is the producer forum, so I guess on with it. Only track on my page so far, made in the last few days. Hope it's not too "Throw Some D's". Cuz I ain't from Texas. All I want is some honest critical feedback on the sound. And being as it's on MYSPACE, I understand it leaves quality to be desired. Thanks in advance to any who have a listen and help me out.

http://www.myspace.com/diasporadub

c0ma

Post by c0ma » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:28 am

I'm a newb as well, but you shouldn't feel unsure or nervous about producing a style that is truly your own. If everyone was making the same sort of tunes and didn't put their own flavor into their songs, then it would be completely devoid of personality. I think that's what's exciting about dubstep. It's not pigeon holed into one certain sound.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of feedback you're looking for, and by no means am I an expert, but just be confident and make what you like and what you're feeling. If you pour yourself into it, you can't go wrong IMO.

habitualbeatscamp

Post by habitualbeatscamp » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:33 am

You have been making tracks for the better part of 5 years and yer still worried?

I thought the track was pretty damn good to be honest. I have only been at it for a little over a year on shoddy equipment. I think you have potential, I wouldn't be surpirised to see some of your tracks being asked for in the dubs section in the future.
www.myspace.com/habitualbeatscamp

Older beats- www.soundclick.com/habitualbeatscamp

guerillaeye wrote:
Ashley wrote:What is mexican food?

Doritos, mince, salsa and peppers? Thats it?
blasphemous.

mae

Post by mae » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:13 pm

yeah i like it - would be interested to hear you flip eazy e saying

Cruisin’ down tha street in my ’64
Jackin’ tha freaks clocking tha dough

from boyz in tha hood - always thought that would sound nice over some dubstep - and would be even better comong from a so cal producer

the acid never lies

Post by the acid never lies » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:13 pm

Yeah i'm liking your flex man - and no i didn't find it too "throw some D's" if that's what you were worried about!

diaspora

Post by diaspora » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:51 pm

Thanks yall. It's nice to see such positivity. I've always been a bit self conscious when it comes to making beats, I definitely should lighten up a bit. It's just music. Haha. NO WAIT!

press

Post by press » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 pm

just fyi incase you care there is already a Diasporah releasing material

http://www.digital-tunes.net/releases/s ... st_man_dub
Shift./Onset/Requiem/Gamma/Paradise Lost/Sub Pressure/Gradient/WattHZ/2012/Rottun/Kursed/Betamorph
Soundcloud

junglist

Post by junglist » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:47 pm

Yeah, if I were you I would chuck some NWA lyrics in my tunes.
...Mabey even a remix of Express Yourself or Boyz In The Hood?

I wouldn't say that Americans (or any other country for that matter) has no right to create Dubstep, they have every right. Although the US imo for electronic music is only good at Trance & Techno at the moment. Drum & Bass from the US tends to suck boys (apart from DieselBoy) Mabey in a few years I'll be saying that the US is good for dubstep aswell.

press

Post by press » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:07 pm

Junglist wrote:Drum & Bass from the US tends to suck boys (apart from DieselBoy) Mabey in a few years I'll be saying that the US is good for dubstep aswell.
:o ummmm no...........

hive
evol intent
cease
demo
quadrant
juju
infiltrata
+ many more high quality producers

lol at "apart from dieselboy"

also the us is already coming with a strong showing of talent in dubstep

claw
ultrablack
12th planet
cease
trillbass
selfsimilar
roomate
djunya
juju
noah d
evol intent
spl
+ plus alot more

and well i know that statement was just your opinion and your welcome to it i just couldnt resist showing some of the talent that IS out here.
Shift./Onset/Requiem/Gamma/Paradise Lost/Sub Pressure/Gradient/WattHZ/2012/Rottun/Kursed/Betamorph
Soundcloud

junglist

Post by junglist » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:01 am

Press wrote:
Junglist wrote:Drum & Bass from the US tends to suck boys (apart from DieselBoy) Mabey in a few years I'll be saying that the US is good for dubstep aswell.
:o ummmm no...........

hive
evol intent
cease
demo
quadrant
juju
infiltrata
+ many more high quality producers

lol at "apart from dieselboy"

and well i know that statement was just your opinion and your welcome to it i just couldnt resist showing some of the talent that IS out here.
Yeah opinion is obviously not fact. I have only heard of two of those drum & bass artists you mentioned (hive & demo). I'm sure the rest are good, but through them up against UK DnB artists (like Omni Trio, Calyx, Q Project, Sub Focus, and Drumsound & Simon Bassline Smith) and they will get knocked the fuck down.

And that is what i'm comparing. music Vs music, artist Vs artist.

No need to get into an argument about dnb here though. :?

tempest

Post by tempest » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:49 am

left out Parson, Matty G and probably a lot more quality US dubstep artists

keep on it mate, sounding good!

jade_monkey

Post by jade_monkey » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:11 am

AMERICANS HAVE NO BUSINESS PRODUCING DUBSTEP!
That is really silly. And the fact, that 8 people voted for it is even more silly. Where are we, in some kind of bass fascism?

Sick tune, keep up the work!

wooda916

Post by wooda916 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:41 am

its ok, you can definatly tell your from US with it.

Very west coast hip-hop influenced.

keep it up though, you dont need approval from us!

claw

Post by claw » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:48 pm

track is pretty cool...who cares where the fuck you are from though, geographic location has nothing at all to do with creativity
~~BroTown : Subhuman : Rottun : Ultragore : Basshead : PlayMe : DemonDub~~
Bookings - Hulkstep@Gmail.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/hulk
http://www.hulkstep.com

sines

Post by sines » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:06 pm

lol @ this thread.

forensix (mcr)

Post by forensix (mcr) » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:06 pm

Sines wrote:lol @ this thread.
lol @ your face

sines

Post by sines » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:09 pm

forensix (mcr) wrote:
Sines wrote:lol @ this thread.
lol @ your face
:lol:

diaspora

Post by diaspora » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:36 am

Well I certainly wasn't trying to start a UK vs US flame war with the thread, I only included the option because I thought it was funny. Anyways, what I was getting at is that there is a lot of originality in the dubstep scene overseas (and admittedly a lot of NOT SO ORIGINAL MATERIAL AS WELL), but overall that I feel that UK producers are less inclined to feel as though they MUST carry the "HARD LIKE IT'S A POSE" mentality that some US producers seem to by default attach themselves to. What I like most about dubstep music is that the possibilities seem to be endless at this point, and that creativity and originality (balanced with high production value) will win out over merely well produced but somewhat forgetable tunes. While it may be that oversaturation is imminent, I would like to believe there is room for flipping it differently. And that's the whole struggle I was trying to get across. I have extremely sub par equipment (which I am trying to build upon daily). The PC I make tunes on has 256 megs of RAM for christ sakes. In any case, all I can do is continue to manipulate sounds into what I feel can float in a sea of debris. Flotsam and jetsam. Big up any who are feeling what I am up to here. As for Diaspora already being used as a moniker, I'm not so attached to it. TBH I have been waiting for the right time to unleash my shit when I feel like it's READY to stand shoulder to shoulder with the tracks I love. I ain't there yet, but as my setup continues to evolve, maybe I can contribute some of my sounds to the sound.

WAYOUTWEST - Wayne-Paul

FSTZ

Post by FSTZ » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:13 am

Press wrote:just fyi incase you care there is already a Diasporah releasing material

http://www.digital-tunes.net/releases/s ... st_man_dub
yeah no doubty

thought someone hacked his account

twatty vagitis

Post by twatty vagitis » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:36 pm

Diaspora wrote:Well I certainly wasn't trying to start a UK vs US flame war with the thread, I only included the option because I thought it was funny.
It was funny. And what's even funnier is how the voting is going..

On your tune, if you got rid of all the hip hop shit from it, it would be alright.