define the "style"

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
ozols man

define the "style"

Post by ozols man » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:31 pm

alright everyone. i wrote this track the other day entitled 'espionage' its on my myspace- www.myspace.com/aleksozols ..
i was just wondering what could this really be called, i know genres and shit shouldnt really be that important, but, u know.. :lol: what style would this tune fall under?
also, any criticisms on the mastering and what not?
thanks for your time
cheers

capes

Post by capes » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:15 am

Last edited by capes on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

shonky

Post by shonky » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:04 pm

Sounds a bit like some old detroit techno, maybe some of the odder french house stuff I've heard, Isolee, Losoul, that sort of thing. Sounds good though. Sounds like quite a good mix, pity the myspace player keeps seeming to cut out every five seconds or so. Good tune though
Hmm....

8bitwonder

Post by 8bitwonder » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:14 pm

Shonky wrote:Sounds a bit like some old detroit techno, maybe some of the odder french house stuff I've heard, Isolee, Losoul, that sort of thing. Sounds good though. Sounds like quite a good mix, pity the myspace player keeps seeming to cut out every five seconds or so. Good tune though
isolee mmmmm good shit

ozols man

Post by ozols man » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:49 pm

Shonky wrote:Sounds a bit like some old detroit techno, maybe some of the odder french house stuff I've heard, Isolee, Losoul, that sort of thing. Sounds good though. Sounds like quite a good mix, pity the myspace player keeps seeming to cut out every five seconds or so. Good tune though
cheers for the feedback everyone.
mind u, having a regressive sound is probably the worst thing! oh well... :lol: i just sat down and without any inhibitions tried to make something dancy but a bit hardcore at the same time.. i wanna incorporate dubstep styled basslines and atmospheres but with a break beat edge if u know what i mean..
still, watch the myspace for fututre updates
cheers

shonky

Post by shonky » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:38 am

ozols man wrote:
cheers for the feedback everyone.
mind u, having a regressive sound is probably the worst thing! oh well... :lol: i just sat down and without any inhibitions tried to make something dancy but a bit hardcore at the same time.. i wanna incorporate dubstep styled basslines and atmospheres but with a break beat edge if u know what i mean..
still, watch the myspace for fututre updates
cheers
Wouldn't worry about things sounding regressive, not all forward movements are necessarily good, so it makes sense to look back and take influence from where you like, it's a different sound so keep at it.
Hmm....

auralassassin
Permanent Vacation

Post by auralassassin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:11 pm

sounding regressive isn't the worst thing in the world, though either... sometimes it's nice to take a step back from what is going on, and re-visit an old sound.

shonky

Post by shonky » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:48 pm

^^^
Better than just following what's hip, you're more likely to find your own unique style if you take the best from all your influences. "Beau mot Plage" by Isolee combines elements of glitch, jazz, house, dub and god knows what else to create music that sounds timeless (and still one of my favourite tunes ever).

Trying to make music that sounds like everyone else is a dead end creatively, so big-ups for trying something different. I'm sure that a lot of music of all genres will be forgotten in a few years, the innovators are the ones that get remembered, not the imitators.
Hmm....

auralassassin
Permanent Vacation

Post by auralassassin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:57 pm

Trying to mimic things that you know work can be as big of a help as it can be a negative for you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

learning to produce by copying others is pretty much the best way to learn to create the sounds that YOU want, when the time comes--but copying others will only get you so far... you have to be doing something unique to really make it.