Motivation...

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
psyolopher
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: Iceland
Contact:

Motivation...

Post by psyolopher » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:49 pm

so...sometimes i'm in a mood for workin on some tunes.....
maybe goes an hour by or two...then i just completely lose it!

I cant think of anything new, and im just stuck....
Why cant my creative moods last longer ffs!!!!
maybe its due depression.....

anyway, you have this to?
Or you finish a tune all the way?

User avatar
futures_untold
Posts: 4429
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by futures_untold » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:58 pm

I've still got unfinished tracks from 05!! lol

My friend who finishes tracks regularly attributes his ability to two things.

Regular sleep pattern (His is 11 til 8 everyday)
Doing new music stuff when feeling creative & doing compression/mixing when feeling sombre....

I think I need to take his advice myself lol! :)

Also, check out this thread which has more suggestions on hot to overcome the doldrums ---> http://www.dubstepforum.com/a-stage-of- ... 59486.html

Patrick :)
Last edited by futures_untold on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

11eight
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:00 pm
Contact:

Post by 11eight » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:59 pm

nahh i think it happens to most people..
deffo happens to me!

find it better to finish it musicly n that, wait a week or so then master it
otherwise u just get fucking sick of it!

User avatar
abZ
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:14 pm
Location: pittsburgh
Contact:

Post by abZ » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:41 pm

I smoke weed when that happens. Sometimes I have to manufacture inspiration because having a family means I can't just work on tunes whenever I feel like anymore :-/

User avatar
3rdeye
Posts: 1720
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:22 am
Location: Byron Bay 2481

Post by 3rdeye » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:29 am

yeah most producers get this i think... it's best not to try and force creativity or you'll get feck all productive done. mood definitely comes into it, i find that the more i make tunes, the more i know when i've got a tune in me and when my creativity's dried up. there's a lot of psychology involved in making music i reckon :)
Subtitles | Area Recordings | Muti Music | Requiem Audio | Subway | Gradient Audio
http://www.soundcloud.com/3rdeye

psyolopher
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: Iceland
Contact:

Post by psyolopher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:32 am

3RDEYE wrote:yeah most producers get this i think... it's best not to try and force creativity or you'll get feck all productive done. mood definitely comes into it, i find that the more i make tunes, the more i know when i've got a tune in me and when my creativity's dried up. there's a lot of psychology involved in making music i reckon :)
Yeah, i have this one mood that gets me somewhere!
so, im not a lone....
yay!

User avatar
tempest
Posts: 2258
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: NSW, Australia

Post by tempest » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:52 am

Yeah i've never finished a tune in one sitting... But the closest i've come is when I was incredibly scattered and hungover, go figure..

User avatar
wang
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:14 am
Location: In your fucking head.

Post by wang » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:39 am

Motivation?

Is that an NI plugin?

psyolopher
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: Iceland
Contact:

Post by psyolopher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:52 am

wang wrote:Motivation?

Is that an NI plugin?
yes....its specially made for making wobble basslines!

User avatar
matthew_
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:32 am
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK

Post by matthew_ » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:55 am

NI really need another plug where they can swap the C for a K, we all know that makes them better.

User avatar
darkmatteruk
Posts: 2684
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:55 am

Post by darkmatteruk » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:18 pm

happened to me really badly about a month ago. hadnt got anything done at all for a couple of weeks, so have distanced myself from it since. am going to get back on it with the sample pack comp and see what happens

User avatar
djake.
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:46 am
Location: cornwall
Contact:

Post by djake. » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:20 pm

happens to me alot, i just dont make anybeats for a couple of days.

and go do somefing completly different like skateboarding or walk my dog somewhere random that ive never been before.
http://www.myspace.com/djakedubstep

MY OLD ACCOUNT IS WORKIN AGAIN!!!

YAY!!!!!

two oh one
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:30 am
Location: Croydon ---> Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Motivation...

Post by two oh one » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:18 pm

Psyolopher wrote:I cant think of anything new
This doesn't seem to stop most people on here...

;)

First, I'd readdress why you're making music.

Don't start fucking around with endless noodling unless you have an idea to begin with, otherwise it leads to frustration.

If I just start futzing around with a track with no clear goal, I usually end up with wobble bollocks and feel I've wasted my time.

Come up with a strong idea, then build a track to communicate it.
Image
Image
Ahier wrote: I like to push lego up cat bums

psyolopher
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: Iceland
Contact:

Re: Motivation...

Post by psyolopher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:14 pm

two oh one wrote:
Psyolopher wrote:I cant think of anything new
This doesn't seem to stop most people on here...

;)

First, I'd readdress why you're making music.

Don't start fucking around with endless noodling unless you have an idea to begin with, otherwise it leads to frustration.

If I just start futzing around with a track with no clear goal, I usually end up with wobble bollocks and feel I've wasted my time.

Come up with a strong idea, then build a track to communicate it.
Well said, i make tracks out of ideas!
My ideas come pretty fast and randomly!

I try to shit the idea on my computer, and try to work from there!
But sometimes, the idea feels dead after a while....and then i just give up for some time!

two oh one
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:30 am
Location: Croydon ---> Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Motivation...

Post by two oh one » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:33 pm

Psyolopher wrote:
two oh one wrote:
Psyolopher wrote:I cant think of anything new
This doesn't seem to stop most people on here...

;)

First, I'd readdress why you're making music.

Don't start fucking around with endless noodling unless you have an idea to begin with, otherwise it leads to frustration.

If I just start futzing around with a track with no clear goal, I usually end up with wobble bollocks and feel I've wasted my time.

Come up with a strong idea, then build a track to communicate it.
Well said, i make tracks out of ideas!
My ideas come pretty fast and randomly!

I try to shit the idea on my computer, and try to work from there!
But sometimes, the idea feels dead after a while....and then i just give up for some time!
If an idea feels dead, maybe it IS dead? Abandon it and do something else. Not everything will be good.

Some dead horses shouldn't be flogged. If you're not excited about a track any more, it will show.
Image
Image
Ahier wrote: I like to push lego up cat bums

User avatar
Disco Nutter
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Eastern Europe
Contact:

Post by Disco Nutter » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:11 pm

I hate loosing motivation.

Especially when people pay me to make beats and sit next to me for long hours making me tweak this and that. And they never seem to know what to say exactly.

Example:
- Turn it up!
(I turn up the volume.)
- No! The Tempooo! Hmm... Bring it down.
(I bring the tempo down.)
- Noooo! The volume man!

Sheesh...

User avatar
d-code
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:44 am
Location: E15, London
Contact:

Post by d-code » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:21 am

the average person has 20 minutes of creative time a day. which isn't a lot.

what you do in with this time is another thing. it may come about when your making your breakfast and you spread butter on your toast in a creative way or whatever lol.

or sometimes this creative burst can pop up during tune making time, which is obviously when you want it to happen.

make the most of your creative time people 8)

xthewiddler
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:36 am
Location: Jersey
Contact:

Post by xthewiddler » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:39 am

ganja!!!!

User avatar
little boh peep
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:55 am
Contact:

Post by little boh peep » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 am

Two oh one speaks good sense as usual.

I've sat down and written a full tune in a few hours before, and I've got tunes which have seen multiple reworkings still unfinished from a year back. So much of music is the right combination of sounds in the right order, it's amazing how you can luck into things given the infinite possibilities.

Sleep helps with focus and creativity. So does praise from people whose opinion you respect, or having a specific project to work towards. I also find I have my best ideas while I'm running; I think anything which helps your body use glucose better, such as exercise, helps your brain use it better as well.

I have a little notepad document with ideas for tunes written down in shorthand I refer back to when I'm lost for inspiration, or add to when I'm inspired but can't write.

User avatar
OoGuN
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: aka oogun

Post by OoGuN » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:25 am

Little Boh Peep wrote: I've sat down and written a full tune in a few hours before, and I've got tunes which have seen multiple reworkings still unfinished from a year back.
yeah I know that one too. :wink: The ones you write in a few hours are the magic ones.

other than that, what i tend to do because i rarely get the time to sit and do a tune, is work on different bits for a week, purposely avoiding making a whole tune.. like "I've used those drums too many times, I'll just make beats tonight" or "I'll just make bass sounds and get some new ones programmed"..

I work during the day and my kid's asleep at night so doing this all week means that when I get to Saturday, I've got all these nice bits to work with....

Different from Noodling because whatever I make has to be inspiring enough to use at the weekend......
Drunk Elephant Sound on Juno Download: http://www.junodownload.com/labels/Drunk+Elephant+Sound

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests