I need help.

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
kozee

I need help.

Post by kozee » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:36 pm

I'm usually the type that's way to proud to ask for help but at this point in my life and for what I wanna do I'm gunna ask u all. ( plus I feel ya'll gots love for the Koz so it makes it easier).

Can u list the most basic things I need to do to produce dubstep.

pls not fifty million things.... what would be MOST important???

Thanks!!!

shonky

Re: I need help.

Post by shonky » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:20 pm

kozee wrote:I'm usually the type that's way to proud to ask for help but at this point in my life and for what I wanna do I'm gunna ask u all. ( plus I feel ya'll gots love for the Koz so it makes it easier).

Can u list the most basic things I need to do to produce dubstep.

pls not fifty million things.... what would be MOST important???

Thanks!!!
And I thought not asking for help was a male trait (like never reading maps or instruction manuals) :lol:

Good pc with loads of ram, fast cpu, big hdd and good quality soundcard. Controller keyboard would also be a good idea unless you like the idea of drawing music.

Find yourself a simple sequencing/audio package, choose something that's right for you (think there's a thread on production somewhere). Probably best to find one that has an onboard sampler, drum machine and a selection of usable instruments. If you're just starting out, go for something as simple as possible. Most of the main companies give away demos to try, so you can see if you like them before you invest. If you know someone else that's making music, see if you can sit in with them and see what they use and how they're doing it. Doesn't matter if it's a different genre, it's all educational.

Might also be wise to get yourself an audio editor - sound forge is pretty useful, but if you're strapped, get Audacity - its free, a bit basic, but should give you an idea of which effects do what. Just load in a sample and play around with it, add reverbs, chorus, whatever and see how you go.

There's more specific stuff that might help you, but I don't know if you're just starting out, or whether you have some knowledge already, so post up some more info and we can see if we can help. Don't want to blind you with science or be toooooo patronising :lol:
Hmm....

ozeb

Re: I need help.

Post by ozeb » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:11 pm

kozee wrote:Can u list the most basic things I need to do to produce dubstep.
Nice one lovey - told you you'd get some help up in this spot :D:

dynamixuk

Post by dynamixuk » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:46 pm

havent read a thing anyone else have typed but u need...a sequencer program like acid or cue bass or whatever..u need a sampling program like sound forge, wave lab or whatever and u need a pc that will run it all. some soft synths unless ur minted and can afford a mini moog. the more u spend better your equipment will be, but havin good equipment wont make u write good music so just get what u can and have a play about till you suss what it is u want from ur music.

you can be oldschool if u got alot of coin and loads of room and get a atari st and loads of externl synth and effect units but that will cost ya alot and you'll hate cabels after 2 hrs in it
OI..YOU..are you gonna flash bang doe...

dynamixuk

Post by dynamixuk » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:47 pm

now i read the other posts..yeah what shonkey said

bedward

Post by bedward » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:30 am

some fairly general considerations:

* start building a library of samples that u want to hear in a dubstep context. anything.
definetely get plenty of drum sounds. kicks, snares, hats, hand percussion, synth drums and found-sounds that go bang rattle poom tap etc.
this process is potentially endless, more choice of samples = more chance of finding something that goes with yr tune just how u want it to.

* if yr using vst-compatible computer soft like fruity, cubase or whatever, vst plugins are well handy and there's loads going for free online.
dunno if u already making stuff already or what, but anyway, it's a good idea to listen to a few different reverbs, compressors, eq's, and overdrive/saturators, applied to different types of sounds in different situations. try and find the ones you prefer for this or that, and also which ones are not needed. having too many plugins can be hassle.
e.g. one reverb i've got is great for long sounds with prominent low-mids but it's pretty rubbish coming off sharp percussive sounds.
i've kept it for it's warmth cos the others ive got sound a bit sterile sometimes.

* your monitoring setup needs to deliver sub bass. (as well as having a pretty smooth frequency response overall.)
it's perhaps one of the hardest things to aquire if yr making music at home, decent speakers and somewhere without much volume restriction.
without that you can still get a good balance of weight but it's a bit long, knowing yr stereo very well, acting like a scientist, perpetual test-burns to take round yr mates' houses who've got big hi-fi's...
instant ear/hand co-ordination is much easier.

hopefully you're not looking for advice about style or content cos it's best if ppl don't all sound the same. musical formulae = the end of music's vitality.
but anyway, rant curtailed.

main thing is to get some choice sounds together, and make dubstep with em. whatever that means to you.

parson atx

Post by parson atx » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:31 am

you should learn sequencing with ableton live

its the future

parson atx

Post by parson atx » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:32 am

and i'm not saying it because thats what i use because i don't know how to use it

alls i know how to use real well is reason and cubase/nuendo

i've seen ableton in action enough times though to know i'm missing out on a lot by not learning it already

dynamixuk

Post by dynamixuk » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:30 am

Parson ATX wrote:and i'm not saying it because thats what i use because i don't know how to use it

i've seen ableton in action enough times though to know i'm missing out on a lot by not learning it already

aye true that, seen some sick video's or turntabelists using abelton how it SHOULD be used, i know it's cool for studio projects but you can use it live to sequence loops ect, makin ur pa's F>R>E>S>H

abelton and serato scratch

tis the future

i use acid n soundforge

eventualdecline

Post by eventualdecline » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:40 am

Here's a bare bones list of what you'll need to make music:

Sampler(pref. Kontakt).

Sequencer(pref. Cubase SX).

Mixdown tools(pref. Waves Platinum).

Play around with different software to find your own preference.

loefah
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by loefah » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:05 pm

Parson ATX wrote:you should learn sequencing with ableton live

its the future

NO........ABLETON IS CHEATING. AND CRAP. DO NOT USE IT

...USE LOGIC.

loefah
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Post by loefah » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:06 pm

Dynamixuk wrote:
Parson ATX wrote:and i'm not saying it because thats what i use because i don't know how to use it

aye true that, seen some sick video's or turntabelists using abelton how it SHOULD be used, i know it's cool for studio projects but you can use it live to sequence loops ect, makin ur pa's F>R>E>S>H

abelton and serato scratch

tis the future

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

shonky

Post by shonky » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:10 pm

LOEFAH wrote:

its the future

...USE LOGIC.
Logic's a bastard if you're just starting out though - and it's Mac only (unless you've got 5.5)
Hmm....

theverdict

Post by theverdict » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:11 pm

I makes me music with pots and pans.

dynamixuk

Post by dynamixuk » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:21 pm

:lol:

if ur doin straight dj sets then stick to vinyl or at a push cdj's but if your wanting to mess about doin diff stuff live then i think you have to move with technology, music's like food though eh we all need it just some like diff ingredeants.

As for production there's so many diff programs u can use that all have pritty much the same features just diff layouts it realy is up to you to find out which one u like best.

never tryed abelton before just seen some realy nice vid's where it gets used well for looping ect, i myself prefer to use my rc-50 for doin that sorta thing with though.

end of the day you can make music on a playstation to some degree, it all depends on whats inside you as to the outcome.

dynamixuk

Post by dynamixuk » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:27 pm

theVerdict wrote:I makes me music with pots and pans.
is the future

parson atx

Post by parson atx » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:23 pm

LOEFAH wrote:

its the future

...USE LOGIC.
cheating?

kion

Post by kion » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:01 pm

Get Logic

Get a book on Logic

Job done
http://www.vitalsinesmusic.com
DUBS / PROMOS / DEMOS - AIM 'djkion' / send to info[at]vitalsinesmusic.com
mixcloud.com/djkion < archive dubpressure shows

kozee

Post by kozee » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:05 pm

thanks ya'll!

I have used Logic and Cu Base but for dnb (and that was with other ppl).

I do wanna use a simple program. ( i liked Cu base alot but kinda wanna go with Fruity if i'm gunna do this by myself.)

I had Sound Forge, loved it! Got a virus and lost it :(

I have started to collect samples. I do think this is the best route for me now.

please feel free to shoot me more advice on what works for you!
appericate the feedback!

djunya

Post by djunya » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:18 pm

LOEFAH wrote:

its the future

...USE LOGIC.

Agreed Logic is Ridiculous!!!!

However if your on a budget and literally just starting... I would pick up Fruity or Reason to get used to sequencing - midi etc.....Become familiar with the tools & then pick yourself up (Logic or Cubase)or if the $$ is there go straight for either, Also i would be glad to help you get started with whatever you Choose... Best wishes on your endeavours into the world of sound!!!!!!