Your FAVOURITE thing about dubstep.

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
BLACKSMOKEMONSTER

Re: Your FAVOURITE thing about dubstep.

Post by BLACKSMOKEMONSTER » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 am

the warm feeling it sends out no matter what mood im in

Omega Dub

Post by Omega Dub » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:58 am

the diversity.

and that it has brought so much attention to sub-bass as an integral part of the music and dance experience. so many clubs/venues have upgraded their soundsystems (or started contracting to outside companies) because of the popularity of dubstep :W:

LA_Boxers

Post by LA_Boxers » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 am

Yeah defo love the above fact.

With clubs upgrading their soundsystem, this should hopefully lead to a better quality control over tracks too. A club isnt going to spend $$$$$'s on a system if they have some dude playing youtube rips or stuff that doesnt really require the extra watts.
Soundcloud - LPR006. Due 20/05/13.

http://www.rood.fm - EVERY OTHER THURSDAY 8-10pm //
http://www.corruptradio.net - EVERY OTHER SUNDAY 6-8pm//

test_recordings

Post by test_recordings » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:44 am

"It's like going to a rave 20,000 leagues under the sea"
Getzatrhythm

system_meltdown

Post by system_meltdown » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 pm

I love the communal vibes of being in a club with people that are there for the same experience as I am. I especially enjoy when a dubplate gets dropped for a tiny amount of time then wheeled up and you just feel the whole crowd in awe and hear them all like "OHHHH SHIT" then when it's laid down again and it just goes off, the feeling is intense, hard to explain why, it just is.

Heritage is also a big part of it for me, growing up listening to my dad's reggae/dub vinyl collection at the same time as listening to my sister's collection of 2step garage CDs/vinyls, hearing the two come together was special for me. I'm only 19 now, so when I first got into the music, just after it was really emerging from garage, when it had no name, I wasn't nearly old enough to reach any events, so the fact I've now proudly been and seen some of the people who started it all, heard some of the first tracks I'd ever heard of the genre on a big system, is key.

erratech

Post by erratech » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Bassface. The things that cause the bassface.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget.

antics

Post by antics » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:39 pm

The tension

LA_Boxers

Post by LA_Boxers » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:50 pm

system_meltdown wrote:I love the communal vibes of being in a club with people that are there for the same experience as I am. I especially enjoy when a dubplate gets dropped for a tiny amount of time then wheeled up and you just feel the whole crowd in awe and hear them all like "OHHHH SHIT" then when it's laid down again and it just goes off, the feeling is intense, hard to explain why, it just is.

Heritage is also a big part of it for me, growing up listening to my dad's reggae/dub vinyl collection at the same time as listening to my sister's collection of 2step garage CDs/vinyls, hearing the two come together was special for me. I'm only 19 now, so when I first got into the music, just after it was really emerging from garage, when it had no name, I wasn't nearly old enough to reach any events, so the fact I've now proudly been and seen some of the people who started it all, heard some of the first tracks I'd ever heard of the genre on a big system, is key.
Defo some of this.

JimmaJamJamie

Post by JimmaJamJamie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:52 pm

The bass, how dark some of it is and the fact it is always changing, evolving and people are always bringing new sounds & elements into there tunes.

Never get bored of it.

LA_Boxers

Post by LA_Boxers » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Bump.

dj $hy

Post by dj $hy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Diversity everytime! I play radio every week n love checking my AIM folder on the day to see whats been sent! The fact that anything goes, back before genre's it was actually down to producers ie you go to see Mala you know what your getting, see Rusko you know what your getting, individual producers almost make individual genres!

Going out to a dance. In all my years in all the clubs all over the world I've had the pleasure I've only ever seen ONE fight! Thats pretty amazing if you ask me. Funny thing is the fight (which was a lame one) was at DMZ on the 4th birthday! Strange eh! But still, the vibes cos its all about the music n not what next mans wearing like UKG used to be!
http://soundcloud.com/afterdark-dubstep
New Deep one! Unsigned ATM
Soundcloud

A deep one... Dropping on Family Tree Records END OF THIS MONTH!!!!!!!
Soundcloud

cityzen

Post by cityzen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:18 pm

The fact that it has the ability to cross all boarders/social constraints/fashion stereotypes to bring people together. A musical genre that transcends all language barriers to evoke the same emotion in a Polish farm hand and a Japanese car mechanic, or a kid from Croydon and a 30 y/o from Bristol. A genre/movement/concept that doesn't discriminate or judge but just welcomes all to kneel and pray to the sub bass God.
BLAHBLAHJAH wrote:... If you're ever in a burning building and you see smoke and smell fire, maybe it's worth getting
out...

nitzdaking

Post by nitzdaking » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:12 pm

LA_Boxers wrote:Ok with all the ''debate'' that is going on at the moment I wanted to start a thread with positive vibes.

Post you're favourite thing about dubstep. Whether its a certain track, a certain DJ, vibe, club, soundsystem, lifestyle......whatever it might be please post it!! If you don't agree with what somebody else says, this isnt the time or the place to ''tell them their wrong''. Positive vibes please people.......Get cracking!!!
not true

slanguage

Post by slanguage » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:14 pm

race, age and gender are not an issue...and if you make good music...it doesn't matter who/what or where you are because the music is good

and unfortunately, that can't be said for many genres of music

oh also, the fact that only hip hop appeals to my soul like the best forms of dubstep do...*kanyeshrug*

kwun-tings

Post by kwun-tings » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:18 pm

LA_Boxers wrote:Ooops.....didnt write mine.

I'd say that i love the fact that it doesnt matter if you're black, white, asian, male, female, geek, chav, rubeboy, rocker, old, young or whatever you are accepted in dubstep and there's a proper ''family'' kinda vibe to it. I think dubstep raves are easily the most diverse and accepting that I have been to.
read your second post and this is EXACTLY what i was going to say.

dubstep family
:w:

edit: also hearing dubs on a system. begged Joe Nice to play DMZ vs MZN on 6th bday, i dont think he did! only ever heard it once and i didnt realise it was the tune until after the event lol
Deep, dark dungeon sounds.

Soundcloud

cosmic_surgeon

Post by cosmic_surgeon » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Halfstep is the only music I've found I can listen to in that "everyday" mood. Listening to French House when it's pissing it down and you've a shitload of work to do just doesn't cut it. When I discovered this I suddenly felt better about the middle of the week.
https://www.mixcloud.com/Sublogos/winter-20145-session/
The Everlasting Guest
Inorganic Tumblr|Inorganic Facebook

Psst... listen to the Inorganic Audio show on Future Music FM!
Every fortnight on Wednesdays from 2200-0000.

luthervandub

Post by luthervandub » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Percussion

SUICIDE SOUND
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=292119400275
http://suicidesound.tumblr.com/
Hide_One wrote:luthervandub's always the voice of reason

topmo3

Post by topmo3 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:49 pm

as a genre, the versatility. there's so many kinds of music that easily file under dubstep from future funk grooves and uplifting garage vibes to murky, smoky tribal stuff. and i love all of them :4:

as an institution, it's the "one love" sort of thing, regardless of all that hate and shit chatting that's going round in the scene, when you're at a dubstep night and the lights are off everybody's jus minding their own business and just feeling it. that's cool!

Tempu KING

Post by Tempu KING » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:47 pm

The sher diversity in dubstep is mind-blowing. It can take from every possible genre and add to it. It can be happy and sad, slow and fast at the same time....

It's really thought provoking stuff...just the emotion it can bring out of you is amazing...it can be gritty dark melancholic but other sounds can be livey and upbeat...

And not forgetting the BASS...just makes it wanna turn that shit up so you can feel it in ur stomach...yea boiiiii!!!!!