Logic Bass LFO

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
darkstep

Logic Bass LFO

Post by darkstep » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:46 pm

I am using Logic and am not very good with the synths as I have mainly worked with samples in the past. I want better bass effects. I can't work out how to set the LFO in either the exs24 or es1 to change the filter cut off. I want to do this using the pitch bend wheel on my midi keyboard.

Can anyone help?

Any other tips for making dubstep in LOGIC 7 would also be really appreciated.

thanks.[/i]

subframe

Post by subframe » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:29 am

wobbles in Logic are surprisingly hard.

To map LFO to cutoff in EXS24:
1. Open up EXS, load up your sample or instrument, and lower the cutoff knob all the way.
2. In the 3rd slot (or any slot) in the Mod Matrix, click under the 'Dest' and select Filter Cutoff from the dropdown.
3. Under the 'Src' area in that same slot, click and select LFO1 fromthe dropdown.
4. Now you see a green arrow appear just to the right. Push it all the way up.
5. Play a not, you'll hear the LFO modulate the cutoff. Pulling the green arrow all the way to the bottom will invert the modulation.
6. If you want to control LFO->Cutoff with the Pitch Bend, click in the Via section, and choose Pitch Bend.

if you want to get advanced:

6. Click under the Via area, select LFO 2 or Env 1 from the dropdown. Now an orange arrow appears. This is how much the Via source will add to (or subtract from if you have the invert button clicked) the Src modulation, as with the Pitch Bend example above.

The Max source in Via is really useful with LFO's, as it allows you to set the LFO to modulate only over a certain range of a parameter's range. For example, if you want the LFO to modulate only a little above and below where you have cutoff set, you can use Max to do this. Play around with it, it'll make more sense.

For the ES1, just click the button next to Cutoff on the right side of the Router section, then adjust the LFO rate and range sliders. Same for the left side
maximum disorder is our equilibrium

deleta

Post by deleta » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:44 am

Nice Description subframe. Cheeersssss

darkstep

Post by darkstep » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:32 pm

Thanks Subframe - I have been trying to figure this out for ages, your description really sorted me out.

osk

Post by osk » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:42 am

Another tip in the same mould:

Use the tremolo logic plug in and you can modulate amplitude to get a nice shake and bake on basslines. mind that you don't run the effect stereo though. you can control depth, rate and smoothing. A very nice plug in I think and one that I use a lot.