Keeping the vibe (Tune structure)

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
ephyks

Keeping the vibe (Tune structure)

Post by ephyks » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:43 am

I recently watched a flux interview where he talked about producing daydreamer and he said one thing that pretty much changed everything for me. He writes the basic skeleton of the song with sine waves. Basic sine waves. The intro, basses, breakdowns, etc. Now I've finally realized that is the ultimate keep to keeping the vibe in music. I've been doing this all wrong. I've listened to way to many tunes where the intro is just perfect. The mood of the tune is awesome, but then as soon as the basses come in, everything is just thrown off. The vibe is lost. I've been doing this since the beginning. I realize that I have to be melodic with my basses as well and keep to the intro to make the vibe flow over. Not just fuck around with basses and get something that I think sounds cool, then toss it in the right key and hope it flows. I need to do sound design second, not first.

Anyone else agree that sound design should indeed come second and melody & basic flow should come first?
Coolschmid wrote:Just buy as many $200 synths as possible so you can be bad at all of them.
Soundcloud

Attila

Re: Keeping the vibe (Tune structure)

Post by Attila » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:56 am

I pretty much always write out songs as piano pieces first, just makes life easier haha.

billybuxton

Post by billybuxton » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:08 am

Im gonna try and do this from now on....

You sure he didn't say saw waves though ?

Mammoth

Post by Mammoth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Another topic said saws. Saws seem better to use anyways. Most of my synths are made completely made of saw waves anyhow.
Pedro Sànchez wrote:BigUp Skreem, Mela, Loofah, Kode8 & Spacial Ape and Bengo.

itzDetrimental

Post by itzDetrimental » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:34 pm

It was saw waves man. It was on that interview posted the other week.
Soundcloud
Soundcloud
downlink wrote:Fuck a Klondike Bar, I want new ears!

forsak3n

Post by forsak3n » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:46 pm

I think it's just one way of doing things. TBH Flux's sound design isn't amazing, his style is more about the groove than glitchy sounds or delicate production.

But if it works for you then do it, there's no wrong way of coming up with music.

Toolman4

Post by Toolman4 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:56 am

forsaken has the idea. It's just one way of doing things. Ever get yourself frustrated with the dichotomy of 2 basic thoughts?...1. Do what sounds good to the ears. 2. The do's and do nots of producing (ex. don't distort/widen/fx the low end, stay in key, any music theory related issue, etc).

Maybe when you're starting out you make a song that changes key's like a seizure, or has a really static beat/rhythm, but hey...it sounded good to you, right?....That's why people say practice, practice, practice....with time it all fit's into place and makes sense. I used to call them musical epiphany's...now they are fewer and much further between, but are getting more and more important.

Mindforce

Post by Mindforce » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:35 pm

The way I see it, it's about what's at the core of your song. For songs like Daydreamer, Gold Dust remix, Cracks remix, the melody was the most important aspect. Sure flux's "basses" are crazy, but ultimately it's the melody that drives his songs. So therefore he "plots" the entire melody in its simplest form when he writes a song.

But someone for someone like Downlink or Chaosphere, it's really the sound design and rhythm that drives his songs, so I'd be surprised if he plotted the "melodies" of his song as a first step, but rather sound design and the sounds' 'feel' first.

I'm still a noob to producing, but for me personally I need to do sound design first because melodies flow through my head like ADHD and I can throw a drum pattern down in 30 seconds once I've chosen my samples. Hence sound design is usually what I do first because it's what I need to concentrate on most.

But ultimately it's all about what drives your song, what element you want it all to be built around. Just my 2c ;)

outbound

Post by outbound » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Yeah I've now got my template setup for x10 ES2's default to saw to start with melody.

First time I wrote this way I wrote pure pop (cheesy as hell too)

2nd Time it started down quite a darker path but then the tune progressed and now it's on a purely tribal electro'y feel with the drums being the focus which is odd. :lol:
Soundcloud
Online Mastering//FAQ//Studio
Evolution Mastering (Analogue/Digital) : 1st track Free sample + 50% off.
What Is Mastering?
http://www.facebook.com/outbounduk

Lucifa

Post by Lucifa » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Mmmm, not sure about this, ok if it works it works but....

I find easier to know what notes to jam out once the synth patch is made. The timbre, ADSR and any effects on the patch will have as much sonic influence on the output as the actual notes, so I find it difficult to understand how you can compose a melody with a vanilla saw-wave, when the final rendition will vary so much more once you've constructed the actual synth.

To me, whether you're gunna compose jazzy chord like structure or aggressive dissonant tritones depends entirely on the flavour of the synth youre using. May argue that you know in advance the sound you will make once the melody is laid out, but to me feeling the notes out comes much more natural once you know whats going to be playing it.