the hero/idol mentality

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
deadly_habit

the hero/idol mentality

Post by deadly_habit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:07 pm

i've seen it a bit here, but has anyone else met a producer they idolize to find they are just some normal guy enjoying the ride?
talk to a producer to find they just work hard and their weird soundscape they found got popular?
i've always found it fascinating that people idolize edm people

or have you ever met (or not met cause they are a douche) a diva who is using their 15 minutes of fame to be a dick (cough le castle vania)

i honestly wanna run into feed me/spor again because i saw him as a teen just enjoying life and amazed people loved his music back when

wub

Re: the hero/idol mentality

Post by wub » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:10 pm

One time playing in the States, I was playing the set after DJ Icey. He was one of my early idols, big influence in my breakbeat days. He was an utter tnuc, played some atrocious tracks, overran by 10mins as he was playing 'air trumpet' to a Bird Peterson tune, and was generally a massive twat.

deadly_habit

Post by deadly_habit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:14 pm

heh i met icey once and he was a tnuc

FSTZ

Post by FSTZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:21 pm

famous people are still just people

however, drinking grey goose in the DJ booth with the big dogs is a lot of fun

Sharmaji

Post by Sharmaji » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:29 pm

I got to play w/ FSTZ once which was awesome ! :)

I interviewed Ian MacKaye from Fugazi when i was 19, which was a total blast. blew me away that they listened to Hendrix and the Smiths while on tour.
twitter.com/sharmabeats
twitter.com/SubSwara
subswara.com
myspace.com/davesharma
Low Motion Records, Soul Motive, TKG, Daly City, Mercury UK

Hircine

Post by Hircine » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Sharmaji wrote:I interviewed Ian MacKaye from Fugazi when i was 19, which was a total blast.
:Q: :Q: :Q:
DSF's foreign exchange student
Forthcoming Bassweight Recordings:
Soundcloud
Facebook
phaeleh wrote:
bassbum wrote:The pheleleh tune I have never heard before and I did like it but its very simple and I could quickly recreate it.
Yeah I wanna hear it too :P

FSTZ

Post by FSTZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Sharmaji wrote:I got to play w/ FSTZ once which was awesome ! :)

I interviewed Ian MacKaye from Fugazi when i was 19, which was a total blast. blew me away that they listened to Hendrix and the Smiths while on tour.
did Ian make you sit in the waiting room??

Today

Post by Today » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 pm

not EDM producers but I've ran into a couple of people
Bob Dylan, for one. walking in NYC. What did I do/say? Nothing. I like to think he appreciated that, because i caught his eye for a second, but just kinda let it go and kept walking. Felt like that be the way he'd want it.

Also met Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes) after a gig, and it's true he struck me as a young man just the same as all of us. Just happened to be doing the music thing, doing really well and loving it. I said hi, he said hi, nice to meet you, gave me a hug and went on chilling at the party.
dubstep Soundcloud

rock
Soundcloud

ransom

Post by ransom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Years ago I realized I didn't have to like certain people if I liked their music.

dubfordessert

Post by dubfordessert » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:14 pm

lolololol
AxeD wrote:post your awful taste in music you assholes
wobbles wrote::3

subfect

Post by subfect » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:11 pm

I don't know so much as idolize, as look up to. Some producers' sounds just get into my loins and tickle me pink.
160 bpm roller - for all the skankas.
Soundcloud

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Subfect
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Subfect

twilitez

Post by twilitez » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:48 pm

Thats a colourful expession

jrisreal

Post by jrisreal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:05 am

When I came into this thread, I was thinking about how some successful artists are full of themselves...thinking that they're something special or something to be idolized. But I guess the real subject of this thread is valid as well. I don't kiss up to people. If somebody does something crappy, I will let them know...unless they're a friend of mine...then I will let them know while still being nice.
...in my opinion
ImageImageImage

wub

Post by wub » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:08 am

I completely froze up when I met Giles from Buffy a few years ago at a dog show :oops:

dubfordessert

Post by dubfordessert » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:25 am

wub wrote:I completely froze up when I met Giles from Buffy a few years ago at a dog show :oops:
HA!

i got starstruck at this thing i went to the other day because one of the people playing who i had never heard of and didn't even like her music that much had the same name as me, i went up to her and was all like "OMG! YOU HAVE MY NAME!"

:corncry:
AxeD wrote:post your awful taste in music you assholes
wobbles wrote::3

safeandsound

Post by safeandsound » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:57 pm

I have had the fortune to work with a lot of famous people and by and large the vast majority are very nice, professional and make life easy to work with and often modest. What makes them stand out is skill, incredibly hard working. They are just people really and I have never been star struck tbh. I would only be a bit starstruck by people who are in my own eyes musical geniuses.

And these people often appreciated being treated just like anyone else, I have the same respect for clients who produce excellent music and for those
who are starting out, it should not be any other way.

Mad_EP

Post by Mad_EP » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:03 pm

I never really expect anything out of people I meet - as I have long understood that they are just normal folk. Some people are jerks. Some people are good people, but you might catch 'em on a bad day..

..so I never take anything that seriously, and rather focus on being pleasantly surprised when I meet people who turn out to be really grounded.

I've met many of my classical music idols - and just about every one of them was a wonderful experience: Yo-Yo Ma, Daniel Barenboim, Pierre Boulez, Zubin Mehta, Gil Shaham, Peter Serkin, Menahem Pressler, etc etc.

In non-classical music: I met Billy Gould (bassist of Faith No More) in the crowd after a Mr. Bungle show and he was absolutely great. He stayed and talked to me for almost 30 mins.

I've met a few assholes - but I just didn't really care tbh. The only time I have really been annoyed by snotty behavior is when it was someone who used to be a friend before they got really big, then they start acting too big & self-important... That's happened a couple of times & people like that can go to hell.
Tasty Cyanide Radio : Every 3rd Monday, 10pm-12am GMT

Booking: val [at] artik-unit.com
http://artik-unit.com/artists/mad-ep/
Licensing/Publishing: edzy [at] funklabs.com
http://www.funklabs.com/artists/mad-ep

wormcode

Post by wormcode » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:11 pm

deadly habit wrote:i've always found it fascinating that people idolize edm people
Or most people IMO...

I wouldn't say idols, but people I respect yeah.
I've met or hung out with loads of electronic producers or famous DJs over the years, even kept in touch on AIM. None of them were really dickheads.
A few that stand out:
Tech itch talked production with me for a long time hanging around after his set, but Dylan went to sleep early - didn't even finish his set haha. Another occasion SPL came and spun a bonus set at a bbq the next day haha. That was pretty cool. Limewax chatted for hours after one of his sets - funny guy, really odd convos about stuff like the Valve system & buttplugs. One of the funniest and most humble was when Skream kept giving apologies for trainwrecking a couple of times in a 4 hour set. I could tell he was jetlagged, and the Stella wasn't helping. He looked like he was about to fall over any second. :lol:

But yeah, all normal people with probably more in common with you than you'd think.

drake89

Post by drake89 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:39 pm

ran into jeff coffin (sax for the flecktones) in the bathroom at the blue note, like oh hai!

elliot lipp is totally chill, saw his first live band set in NYC as well, sounds much better than his album tbh.

The worst I've seen was mimosa, he's on pretty lights' label. His albums are totally dope, but he is an absolute jackass in a live scenario. drunk and on the blowski for sure. in nashville he asked the soundguy to turn the system up so loud that the rig fell and smashed the next act's laptops! After that elliot lipp set I referenced, Ana Sia was djing and mimosa is apparently her bf or something. So he was running sound, which turned out to be an absolute nightmare. He cranked it and I had to leave to avoid tinnitus. You'd imagine someone with a bunch of dmt references in their music would be chill, but not so...

DIGIPLAST

Post by DIGIPLAST » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:34 pm

i used to idolize edm producers until i realized that they can't produce until retirement. so i'm happy with my job and don't have to fear about what to do later in life.
Last edited by DIGIPLAST on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://soundcloud.com/digiplast/sets/

Rule of thumb: If it sounds good it is good.