New Joy O

?
chekov

Re: New Joy O

Post by chekov » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:15 pm

if he was still making tunes with mostly rnb samples people on here would be giving him grief for being too predictable
alex bk-bk wrote:some of you lot chat bare shit

helix

Post by helix » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:26 pm

wasn't talking about rnb samples or pads

dont be
silly
fuck off
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

q-t

Post by q-t » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Nah, but I think it's great that he's changed that much since he became big, although I do not like all of his recent work.

It would be very easy for him to just continue doing the same thing as Hyph Mngo etc. It would no doubt sell. Instead he just scrapped that and made something new (not really but at least it was fresh and interesting). I certainly didn't expect his announcement of his new alias Joy O and the whole change to more typical house. Those first releases under Joy O are the best from him, imo.

OllieScott

Post by OllieScott » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Wade In/Jels was the only release under Joy O wasn't it, all the others have been under Joy Orbison

q-t

Post by q-t » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:56 pm

Alright, scrap what I wrote earlier.
I just listened to old releases and his sound hasn't changed that much after all :cornlol:
Wade in/Jels was still a decent step away from the prior release.

Either way, this is better than most of his recent output. Excited to see what's on the flip.

Stigmatism

Post by Stigmatism » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Yeah guys don't get me wrong, i think this track is absolutely cracking. I heard Four Tet drop it at the Warehouse project on saturday and it was really really great, the vocal is really spot on. I just think this kind of sound is generally a lot less fruitful.

When I picked up BB / Laydwell I was hoping this was a sigh he was gona head down the deep house root. Still he has continued to deliver great tracks. Out of his Boddika colabs I don't rate any of them highly in general.... apart from Dun Dun, that Piano is just unreal.

Travesty

Post by Travesty » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Ellipsis is his best work to date IMO Still holds up and doesn't get old for me.

The guy is undoubtedly talented and I don't think anyone can deny it.

skwiggo

Post by skwiggo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:45 pm

i like any joy orbison tbh and this one is def rlly good. nice to see him making some tracks by himself again too as much as i like the boddika collabs.

j.doe, brklln clln, gr ettiquette etc. are still his best tracks tho IMO (although ellipsis and hyph mngo are up there too). out of the boddika stuff prone is def my favourite but no one seems to give that any love. and the second mix of swims with the chords is underrated too i think.

Bo Diggidy

Post by Bo Diggidy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:11 am

skwiggo wrote:i like any joy orbison tbh and this one is def rlly good. nice to see him making some tracks by himself again too as much as i like the boddika collabs.

j.doe, brklln clln, gr ettiquette etc. are still his best tracks tho IMO (although ellipsis and hyph mngo are up there too). out of the boddika stuff prone is def my favourite but no one seems to give that any love. and the second mix of swims with the chords is underrated too i think.
agree about Prone, that's my favourite out of all the Sunklo tunes.

optimuscrime

Post by optimuscrime » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:23 pm

joy orbison aka joy o aka 'unknown' (swamp 81) emerges as a sort of post-dubstep jesus figure shrouded in an aurora of internet hype beatmatched to pops and crackles from 90's house 12".

kingbananathe

Post by kingbananathe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:07 pm

brkln clln is still the absolute top notch shit.