Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Dubstep-Scene in Jamaica?

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby young soundman » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:53 pm

No1 compared dancehall 2 dubstep :roll:
Dubbin Day and Night
young soundman

Postby deamonds » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:14 pm

dancehall & ragga...=most hyped forms of music..

i swear when i hear some of vybz kartel, cham, munga, busy signal tunes ...

manna like...

:P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P: :P:
deamonds

Postby datura » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:34 pm

I wonder what they'd think of all the shitty dubstep refixes of reggae/dancehall classics.
datura

Postby juakali » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:03 am

why all the concern.
to me, its been more important that the sound is spreading. hearing tunes at random in any club puts a smile on my face.

in the islands, it's a vocal thing. yout cant afford programs to make tunes and if they do, they making whats in their backyard, frontyard, next door on their minds and from their local heroes.

sufferation and struggle is what goes down
i feel dubstep like that, but i've been around a lot of different music to appreciate that. it's not the case for everyone

someone on here said dancehall = jamaica, london = dubstep. for the most part it is true. the sound will always be more appreciated and competitive from whence it came

as far as a night in JA... anything is possible, the frequency in the sound (what we call dubstep) has been there, the drum sequencing and atmospheres has been there (and everywhere for that matter) just not the arrangement. dubstep is a new slang tang that folks need to hear more to understand what you, me, we're saying. i know we all know this by now right?

forward!

ps.
growing up in Trini, we went to clubs that played "other" music. but when festival time comes (around spring / summer) we own ting is wha we want hear ;)
JUAKALI - New Tings = Debut Album "DreadBass Soundsystem" (June13,2011)
http://www.juakalimusic.com
http://www.facebook.com/juakalimusic
BOOKING
(Live and Direct)
info[at]foreignfamiliar[dot]com
juakali

Postby icebagg » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:53 am

i could see them playing some of the mellower or rastafied dubstep (closer to its DUB cousin), you know a lot of tribal drums, deep thick bass. i must say im a sucker for the minimal dubstep, but thinking of it now i could deffinately picture some of it in jamaica. Its so hard to tell, but i would say there's definitely some kids down there bumpin some dubstep, without a doubt. Ill give em 5 years before theres resident dubstep djs in jamaica. if nothing happens in 5 years...well then its time we bring an arsenal of sound down there and show these rastas what the fuck we're talking about!!
icebagg

Postby antipode » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:21 am

growing up in Trini, we went to clubs that played "other" music. but when festival time comes (around spring / summer) we own ting is wha we want hear ;)

:z:
jrkhnds wrote:
and I've never really rated dubstep..

- dubstepforum, 2014.
antipode

Postby BogHandz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:07 am

i don't think dubstep would fuel the insane sexual energy of Jamaica's clubs enough... If you want to see the opposite aesthetic of a dubstep crowd look at videos of Jamaican clubs. Everyone's out to try to be noticed as fuck. It would be cool if it found a niche tho, I'm sure if some ppl heard it on a system it would affect them profoundly, just like everywhere else in the world.
Hear my ancestors, voices in my head, telling me the future government wants me dead.
BogHandz

Postby alphacat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:23 am

:cornlol: :cornlol: :cornlol: this thread.
Jodorowsky wrote:Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.
alphacat

Postby R4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Remember hearing Wiley say he planning to do a eskimo dance out in Jamaica & Dubai.
R4

Postby jsml » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 pm

Haha, Jamaican grime scene?

That could only be a good thing.
jsml

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
Previous

Return to General Discussion