Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

What the hell is Skism doing?

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby bouncingfish » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 am

I just watched the Ctrl Z (skism) masterclass (great, so much useful tips).
At around 2:30 in part 7 he is putting on effects on his master channel. It's in the red, he looks like he doesn't give a shit, and he goes "I could probably get away with driving that up a bit more".

When I joined dsf, people told me like "Never never never never ever go up to the red, ever" and I've been following that.
My shitty homemade masters have always been, and will probably always be really really shit, but they were never above 0, and never clipping, because that's just what I thought was right.

Is this normal, do you guys do this? I know analog clipping is one thing, but this is digital clipping and it's All red, All the Time.

inb4 "If it sounds good do it" "there are no wrong ways as long as it sounds good"

edit: I noticed I sound like a bit of an idiot but well, whatever
Last edited by bouncingfish on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I need to stop changing my sig

Hey, finally got soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/h-e-l-l-o

some guy from facebook wrote:-instead being would have said stop acting judgemental of others then yet on you mind is not yet acting judgemental
bouncingfish

Has Bigged up!:
7 times
Been Bigged up!:
20 times

Postby Electric_Head » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 am

Is this brostep?

And please don't ask me what that has to do with anything because you all bloody well know it does.
Image ImageImage Image
Electric_Head

Has Bigged up!:
292 times
Been Bigged up!:
464 times

Postby mthrfnk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:20 am

It's hitting a peak 0.0 off the back of PSP, but it's not flatlining by any means - as he said he could drive it more since there's still quite a lot of dynamic movement in the signal. It's not clipping either, just because it's red doesn't mean it's clipping.
mthrfnk

Has Bigged up!:
6 times
Been Bigged up!:
22 times

Postby __________ » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:36 am

0.0 isn't clipping!

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
12 times

Postby outbound » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Some tracks can get away with clipping some can't. Same way some tracks can sound better than others when limited heavily.

I think you might be a little mistaken with advice you've read on forums etc.

When mixing it is good practise to stay away from hitting the tops of the metres, this gives a healthy amount of headroom so you can adjust levels / add parts if you need to and stay away from clipping so that when it is sent for mastering the M.E also has headroom to work with.

In this video however he is self-mastering, that is he is aiming to get these levels to 'commercial' standards through compressing and limiting. In order to hit 0db he has to have the metres hitting red inside his DAW as that is how they are set out in Logic.

If he didn't have a limiter there and was driving it to the point where it would clip on the metre (indicated with a red light above it) then it may distort in an unpleasing way and it is this which you want to avoid.
outbound

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
46 times

Postby test_recordings » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:15 pm

0.0 is cutting it preety close
Getzatrhythm
test_recordings

Has Bigged up!:
125 times
Been Bigged up!:
76 times

Postby bouncingfish » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Electric_Head wrote:Is this brostep?

And please don't ask me what that has to do with anything because you all bloody well know it does.

No, ctrl z makes dnb, why?

outbound wrote:Some tracks can get away with clipping some can't. Same way some tracks can sound better than others when limited heavily.

When mixing it is good practise to stay away from hitting the tops of the metres, this gives a healthy amount of headroom so you can adjust levels / add parts if you need to and stay away from clipping so that when it is sent for mastering the M.E also has headroom to work with.

In this video however he is self-mastering, that is he is aiming to get these levels to 'commercial' standards through compressing and limiting. In order to hit 0db he has to have the metres hitting red inside his DAW as that is how they are set out in Logic.

If he didn't have a limiter there and was driving it to the point where it would clip on the metre (indicated with a red light above it) then it may distort in an unpleasing way and it is this which you want to avoid.

Yeah, I sort of guessed that the advise I had gotten was a bit exaggerated, what you're saying makes more sense.
And this applies to me, I have a long way to go before I'll consider hiring an ME; right now my productions are just for fun, I usually don't share them with people other than my friends, so all the 'mastering' on my tracks are done by me.
Anyway thanks for the explanation mate, think I got it now! ;-)

some guy from facebook wrote:-instead being would have said stop acting judgemental of others then yet on you mind is not yet acting judgemental
bouncingfish

Has Bigged up!:
7 times
Been Bigged up!:
20 times

Postby Icetickle » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Is brostep everything that goes like *melodic intro*; *breakdown*; *buildup*; *dirty drop* @ 140bpm?
Depth is a delusion, the deeper you look the less you see.
Icetickle

Has Bigged up!:
8 times
Been Bigged up!:
12 times

Postby syrup » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 am

EH it's breakbro

@op the master is no way in red all the time, refer to what mthrfnk said
https://soundcloud.com/johney/tapeworm-dub

dubfordessert wrote:you can jizz on me if you want
syrup
Reigning Mini-Mix King

Has Bigged up!:
392 times
Been Bigged up!:
507 times

Postby Electric_Head » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:35 am

Icetickle wrote:

Is brostep everything that goes like *melodic intro*; *breakdown*; *buildup*; *dirty drop* @ 140bpm?

I was being facetious.
Image ImageImage Image
Electric_Head

Has Bigged up!:
292 times
Been Bigged up!:
464 times

Postby outbound » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:09 am

bouncingfish wrote:

No, ctrl z makes dnb, why?

outbound wrote:Some tracks can get away with clipping some can't. Same way some tracks can sound better than others when limited heavily.

Yeah, I sort of guessed that the advise I had gotten was a bit exaggerated, what you're saying makes more sense.
And this applies to me, I have a long way to go before I'll consider hiring an ME; right now my productions are just for fun, I usually don't share them with people other than my friends, so all the 'mastering' on my tracks are done by me.
Anyway thanks for the explanation mate, think I got it now! ;-)

Glad I could help :4:
outbound

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
46 times

Postby Icetickle » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Electric_Head wrote:
Icetickle wrote:

I was being facetious.

I made a serious question since I'm not sure what is brostep and why is everybody hating so much on a genre.
Icetickle

Has Bigged up!:
8 times
Been Bigged up!:
12 times

Postby Electric_Head » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Funny.
Image ImageImage Image
Electric_Head

Has Bigged up!:
292 times
Been Bigged up!:
464 times

Postby bouncingfish » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:00 pm

Electric_Head wrote:Funny.

Fml.

bouncingfish

Has Bigged up!:
7 times
Been Bigged up!:
20 times

Postby Icetickle » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:19 pm

bouncingfish wrote:
Electric_Head wrote:Funny.

Fml.

._.
Icetickle

Has Bigged up!:
8 times
Been Bigged up!:
12 times

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical