Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Stuck on a progression

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby Phatscout » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:06 am

Welp, I've been working on this .... thing but frankly I don't know where to go (as in compositionally). Like tbh how should I go about taking this 8 bar into an actual song. This sounds ulta-noobish but honestly I'm just .... stuck man.
http://soundcloud.com/phatscout/rhodegressive
Phatscout

Has Bigged up!:
3 times
Been Bigged up!:
3 times

Postby Icetickle » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:14 am

Try doing the whole structure of the track with only drums. Then add all of the other elements.
Works for me every time..
Depth is a delusion, the deeper you look the less you see.
Icetickle

Has Bigged up!:
8 times
Been Bigged up!:
12 times

Postby Devilsindub » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11 pm

tturchi wrote:Keep it going and add some more flavor. Add another synth in a higher octave with some warmth and maybe some fxs before u get ready to drop the hammer on it.

Totally agree. If you know any female vocalists to put some short parts in there that you could basically loop, that would fit really well with this pattern IMO.
Devilsindub

Has Bigged up!:
8 times
Been Bigged up!:
4 times

Postby alphacat » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:38 pm

As El-B said, if the track doesn't work as just drums & sub then it probably won't work with everything else piled on top. Lay the foundation well and everything else should hold up.
alphacat

Has Bigged up!:
83 times
Been Bigged up!:
134 times

Postby tpc_uk » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:41 pm

add some fx / incidentals and fx automations, the make an intro with just building the beat up with fx, drop the bit you've done, I could image a nice swingy hi-hat layer / or ride picking up the energy on the next 8 bars even if the loop was the same....

check danny j lewis' channel for housey type stuff maybe?

You really just need to force it out and ideas come from the arrangement process not from making a loop in my experience (not much :dunce: )
tpc_uk

Has Bigged up!:
0 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby fragments » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:25 pm

I'd actually recommend leaving the drums alone for now. Go back and write a melody that progresses over 32-64 bars. Go back and make a layered atmospheric track that progresses (tension/release) over 32-64 bars. Start with one of those, then move on to the other. Then add some chords. I'd probably then extend your drums to at least a 16 bar loop. Once you've got all that raw material bounce to audio and start chopping shit up on the timeline in your DAW to fill out the track. You will likely end up adding something elements or automating parameters to keep things fresh.

I typically get a solid, progressing 64 bars down then I just chop and arrange those pieces parts.

On the other hand if you aren't inspired enough by this 8 bar loop to finish it, maybe it's time to dump it and move on.
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.
fragments

Has Bigged up!:
182 times
Been Bigged up!:
104 times

Postby titchbit » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:22 pm

^ definitely all of these answers above ^ sub and drums are most important.

but I could also see adding a cool arpeggiated synth, swapping/layering different synths for the chord part, making a low-mid-rnage bass lead, etc

btw this isn't one of those "special sounds" on a vengeance sample pack is it?
titchbit

Has Bigged up!:
107 times
Been Bigged up!:
177 times

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical