Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

sidechain effect w/o kick drum

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby topmo3 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:02 am

maybe dumb question lol but

how i get things ducking before a kickdrum but lets say at some point of the song i want just the effect so that the kick itself is inaudible

ON ableton :roll:
topmo3

Postby mthrfnk » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:00 am

Use a ghost kick to trigger your ducking, i.e. a kick that is just routed to your sidechain compressor (for example) but not routed to the master buss.
mthrfnk

Postby Samuel_L_Damnson » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:23 pm

^ that
Samuel_L_Damnson

Postby titchbit » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:54 pm

yep. in ableton, just have a kick drum playing like you normally would, but mute the track, or if it's in a drum rack, just mute that pad.
titchbit

Postby rockonin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Another alternative to using a kick sample is to use a Whitenoise sample to trigger the sidechain (Make sure your sample track has no output so you don't hear it) . Don't forget to use volume automation also as another alternative if you don't want to sidechain.
https://soundcloud.com/rockonin

ehbes wrote:I'll remember that when City wins the league :W:
rockonin

Postby Bass_Jacka » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:50 pm

rockonin wrote:Another alternative to using a kick sample is to use a Whitenoise sample to trigger the sidechain .

I wouldn't think this would make much difference seeing as your not going to hear the sound. It doesn't really matter what sample is used as a sidechain trigger IMO.

Obviously the release/tail of the trigger will affect the sidchain effect, but the sample itself doesn't really matter, it would do the same thing ultimately; trigger the sidechain. Or am I wrong?

But to answer your question OP, as others have said - just don't have the trigger sample routed to anything other than the compressor or whatever you're using to sidchain.
https://soundcloud.com/bass-jacka/sunshine

..............................................................................................................................................

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty - Sir Winston Churchill
Bass_Jacka

Postby EARTH_MOVER » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Bass Jacka wrote:
rockonin wrote:Another alternative to using a kick sample is to use a Whitenoise sample to trigger the sidechain .

I wouldn't think this would make much difference seeing as your not going to hear the sound. It doesn't really matter what sample is used as a sidechain trigger IMO.

Obviously the release/tail of the trigger will affect the sidchain effect, but the sample itself doesn't really matter, it would do the same thing ultimately; trigger the sidechain. Or am I wrong?

But to answer your question OP, as others have said - just don't have the trigger sample routed to anything other than the compressor or whatever you're using to sidchain.

ive actually read that side chains do reply better to white noise than other samples becuase they use up a wider range of the frequency spectrum, and makes the side chain effect a bit more drastic from what ive noticed.
EARTH_MOVER

Postby titchbit » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:05 pm

dearadamantium wrote:ive actually read that side chains do reply better to white noise than other samples becuase they use up a wider range of the frequency spectrum, and makes the side chain effect a bit more drastic from what ive noticed.

sidechain compression has nothing to do with frequency though, only volume, so I don't see why that would make any difference...
titchbit

Postby mthrfnk » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:49 pm

dearadamantium wrote:ive actually read that side chains do reply better to white noise than other samples becuase they use up a wider range of the frequency spectrum, and makes the side chain effect a bit more drastic from what ive noticed.

What the fuck? Unless you're sidechaining using a multiband compressor with different settings on each band why would this be true?
mthrfnk

Postby drake89 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:04 am

mthrfnk wrote:

What the fuck? Unless you're sidechaining using a multiband compressor with different settings on each band why would this be true?

different volume envelope/waveform. it's gonna behave more like a square wave I reckon, so less dynamic than a kick. this is all conjecture btw, i would just use a kick or snare/whatever hit.
drake89

Postby mthrfnk » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:55 pm

drake89 wrote:
mthrfnk wrote:

different volume envelope/waveform. it's gonna behave more like a square wave I reckon, so less dynamic than a kick. this is all conjecture btw, i would just use a kick or snare/whatever hit.

Yeah obviously it will have a different envelope, hence different sound... but what does that have to do with:

becuase they use up a wider range of the frequency spectrum,

:6:
mthrfnk

Postby RmoniK » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:58 am

RmoniK

Postby topmo3 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:10 pm

dubunked wrote:yep. in ableton, just have a kick drum playing like you normally would, but mute the track, or if it's in a drum rack, just mute that pad.

if it only was that simple. if i do that it doesn't have any effect, no kick drum, no ducking
topmo3

Postby titchbit » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:59 pm

topmo3 wrote:
dubunked wrote:yep. in ableton, just have a kick drum playing like you normally would, but mute the track, or if it's in a drum rack, just mute that pad.

if it only was that simple. if i do that it doesn't have any effect, no kick drum, no ducking

I promise you it does, I've done it 1000 times. the kick drum must be playing on a loop, muted, and the sidechain input in the expanded part of the compressor (when you press the little arrow that opens up the sidechain and EQ section of the compessor) must be the kickdrum track.
titchbit

Postby firstboyonthemoon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:06 pm

topmo3 wrote:

It is that simple. Are you selecting "Post Mixer" in the sidechain dropdown? It needs to be "Pre FX" or "Post FX". "Post Mixer" won't trigger the compressor (or whatever) if the mixer channel is muted.
My latest thing on Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/jezkova/gliminal
Check out the goofy shit I do on Vine.
firstboyonthemoon

Postby topmo3 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:12 pm

yeah that should does the trick because for some reason i always choose post mixer when doing sidechaining. cheerz
topmo3

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical