Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

How to collab online

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby MORZ42 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:02 am

Hey all,

I've been making magic in my studio for quite some time now, producing in pure solitude. I've been dying to get out and collaborate with others. Since none of my friends share my passion, I've been looking online for people to work with, but it's been unsuccessful say the least.

My first problem is that I don't know where to look for people to work with. Besides the collab thread on Future Producers, I don't really know where to look.

If I actually do find someone, my work with them rarely follows to completion. I would find people, talk to them on Skype, maybe exchange a few files, but then our collaboration always just dies out.

I'm struggling with this experience. I'm very committed to my music, and enthusiastic about what I produce. I would love to get out and find someone else who shares my passion, but I'm very confused about what is going.

If anyone has any pointers or similar experiences to share, please do! Anything will help :Q:
MORZ42

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby Dastilla » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:59 pm

Well dude most of my collabs are with people who I am a fan of. I then befriend them and we send tunes back and forth and if I truely like there music or they really like mine we will collab. Now if I dislike someones music I will decline or not even ask to collab, that way we can get a great track and everyone pulls their own weight. The last collab I did (the only collab) was with Mr. Welch. He has amazing music and he liked mine as well so we managed to work for days sending the ableton project file back and forth and we ended up getting a really solid track! It got promoted on multiple sites, shared by thissongslaps.com and got noticed by some big producers. The whole point of what I am saying is, collab with someone that you honestly love to listen to and that you know and trust. Put forth every bit of time and effort you have in to the track and don't release until its perfect!
Dastilla
Dastilla

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby kaili » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:33 am

im about to do a collab online for first time, usually i do em person but this guys miles away, so imo best thing to do is one person does drums other does the rest
Collab with GeNRL: http://www.soundcloud.com/genrli
140 related stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/kailimusic/
https://soundcloud.com/kailimusic/capone-dub
Seriousub wrote:I do enjoy swinging my spine to the sound of a strong snare running around 140
kaili

Has Bigged up!:
367 times
Been Bigged up!:
136 times

Postby MORZ42 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Most of the producers I enjoy are above my level of production and I always feel a bit intimidated to reach out to them haha
MORZ42

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby alphacat » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:39 pm

If you're not already using Reaper... here's another good reason to start:

NINJAM.
alphacat

Has Bigged up!:
83 times
Been Bigged up!:
134 times

Postby Intrigued » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm possibly looking for someone to collab with, (Using Ableton Live 8 w/ Massive/Sylenth) :)
Intrigued

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
3 times

Postby legend4ry » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:48 pm

You can't just collab with -anyone-.

You have to have some sort of respect for aspects of each others sound to make something whats not just you advising or them advising on your own track.

One guy has an idea and sends it to Two guy, knowing that the person will be able to do something with it.

Once Two guy works until he has got 'stuck'. he passes it back.

Repeat process till both happy.
Soulstep wrote: My point is i just wanna hear more vibes

https://soundcloud.com/legend4ry/untitled
legend4ry

Has Bigged up!:
124 times
Been Bigged up!:
113 times

Postby MORZ42 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:23 am

alphacat wrote:If you're not already using Reaper... here's another good reason to start:
NINJAM.

That is totally nuts. I never even knew you could collab online in real time. Will definitely check it out if I actually do find somebody to use it with :6:

Intrigued wrote:I'm possibly looking for someone to collab with, (Using Ableton Live 8 w/ Massive/Sylenth) :)

PM'ed you brotha!

legend4ry wrote:You can't just collab with -anyone-.

You have to have some sort of respect for aspects of each others sound to make something whats not just you advising or them advising on your own track.

One guy has an idea and sends it to Two guy, knowing that the person will be able to do something with it.

Once Two guy works until he has got 'stuck'. he passes it back.

Repeat process till both happy.

I try to be respectful towards the people I work with, but somehow things still just get lost in the process
MORZ42

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby ENNO » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:24 pm

The tune in my sig was an online collab, Im from Ireland and Occult is from the UK. We both use logic and we set up a drop box. He basically sent me a project file with his work and I done my thing, then hey presto collabo done-o. If you use dropbox you can also collab almost in realtime if your both using the same software.

If not you can bounce stems and put them into reaper and send that project file back and forward, I tried this and failed because im not a fan of reaper at all. Also, this is very true:

legend4ry wrote:You can't just collab with -anyone-.

I've learned this hard way and resulted in many collabs going unfinished.
ENNO

Has Bigged up!:
1 time
Been Bigged up!:
0 time

Postby f1rstsense » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Whats also helpful is setting up a twitch.tv account and streaming to eachother your screens in real time.
And yea dropbox is great.
f1rstsense

Has Bigged up!:
20 times
Been Bigged up!:
3 times

Postby Dub_Fiend » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:53 am

Has anyone used OhmStudio to collab? I know there was a tonne of hype about that a few years ago and there's a free client version of it on their website... looks pretty awesome, I installed it but haven't used it yet :)

Dub Fiend
cloak and dagger wrote:number of posts on dsf = directly proportional to importance in the dubstep scene

| Facebook Page | Twitter | Soundcloud |

New release! Check 'Murda' on Monkey Dub Recordings, available at most digital music outlets!
https://soundcloud.com/dub-fiend/murda
Dub_Fiend

Has Bigged up!:
16 times
Been Bigged up!:
5 times

Postby m8son666 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:38 pm

Dastilla wrote:Well dude most of my collabs are with people who I am a fan of.

Dastilla wrote: The last collab I did (the only collab)

uwotm8
https://soundcloud.com/shallo-1/shallo-october-mix
kay wrote:We kept pointing at his back and (quietly) telling people "That's M8son...."

wolf89 wrote:I really don't think I'm a music snob.
m8son666
moist

Has Bigged up!:
1606 times
Been Bigged up!:
504 times

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical