Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

130 thread

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby bennyfroobs » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:21 pm

facta wrote:http://splinteringboneashes.blogspot.ro/2009/04/invention-or-discovery-or-when-is-genre.html

this already been postede?
TopManLurka wrote:FTR, requirements for being a 'head':

-you have to be youngsta
-you must have been in that infamous room of ten people.
-a DMZ release is preferable but not necessary.
-please note that being youngsta is mandatory.
bennyfroobs

Has Bigged up!:
399 times
Been Bigged up!:
354 times

Postby bennyfroobs » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:24 pm

w8 is taht were thsi discussion came from??

-you have to be youngsta
bennyfroobs

Has Bigged up!:
399 times
Been Bigged up!:
354 times

Postby Marcus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Reese Liar wrote:Why does it matter what it's called? Even if the BPM had all been the same, the aesthetics within just Keysound varies wildly as well, there would be no point in trying to come up with a better term to encompass all that. Why not just leave it at 130, however misleading that might be, and get on with talking about/playing/creating the actual music?

Also don't understand people's fear of trying to use a sentence or two in describing something instead of wanting to put a blanket label on everything.

I'm not too bothered what it's called, I can just see why people might not like the name.
Etches828 wrote:assuming that 130 is a tempo not a sound, which is the point, think it's pretty good when stuff is just described by tempo opposed to some made up name
Marcus

Has Bigged up!:
173 times
Been Bigged up!:
107 times

Postby ActionJesus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:58 pm

to those asking what 130 is, I highly suggest checking out the Keysound shows on rinse.
ActionJesus

Has Bigged up!:
13 times
Been Bigged up!:
10 times

Postby ultraspatial » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:58 pm

bennyfroobs wrote:
facta wrote:http://splinteringboneashes.blogspot.ro/2009/04/invention-or-discovery-or-when-is-genre.html

this already been postede?

lol that's the article i linked on the last page

actually wanted to draw more parallels between this and wonky, but didn't thought it was that relevant
ultraspatial

Has Bigged up!:
867 times
Been Bigged up!:
623 times

Postby alphacat » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:04 pm

GRÖNK.
alphacat

Has Bigged up!:
83 times
Been Bigged up!:
134 times

Postby Reese_Liar » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:06 pm

Marcus wrote:
Reese Liar wrote:Why does it matter what it's called? Even if the BPM had all been the same, the aesthetics within just Keysound varies wildly as well, there would be no point in trying to come up with a better term to encompass all that. Why not just leave it at 130, however misleading that might be, and get on with talking about/playing/creating the actual music?

Also don't understand people's fear of trying to use a sentence or two in describing something instead of wanting to put a blanket label on everything.

I'm not too bothered what it's called, I can just see why people might not like the name.

I can see that too, but I'm just trying to point out the futility in getting together to find a new name. Somehow the term has become 130, and I think there's little to do about that now. Like garethom said there'll always be people who dislike any genre name, so let's just move on and talk about the actual music instead :w:
Reese_Liar

Has Bigged up!:
110 times
Been Bigged up!:
185 times

Postby krytikal » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 pm

gronk ftw
krytikal

Has Bigged up!:
3 times
Been Bigged up!:
5 times

Postby Harkat » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:52 pm

UK Murky

I'm gonna use that even if I sound like a twat
RKM wrote:when bae hands u the aux mixtape and your squad blunted 9/11 aye lmao
Harkat

Has Bigged up!:
1101 times
Been Bigged up!:
1059 times

Postby threnody » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:56 pm

The thing that could potentially make this part of the Nuum as opposed to just an offshoot will be whether it is something new rather than just a subscene. I know that is stating the obvious. The existence of the 'nuum is such a contentious issue in 2014 (see http://www.factmag.com/2009/02/02/infinity-is-now-in-defence-of-the-hardcore-continuum/)

Simon Reynolds gave a talk back in 2009 (i think) about the future of the 'nuum etc.... it was around the time Funky was breaking and there is a great summary of it here http://www.kmag.co.uk/editorial/features/enter-the-nuum.html
This includes some excellent insight from Martin.

Common 'nuum features that could apply would be:-
- An overlap in producers (e.g Jonny L who started off doing Hardcore then Jungle then Garage etc). There is some overlap going back to potentially 1999 with Blackdown and definitely the early 2000s with people like me, Sully + others. It remains to be seen who else could jump over from dubstep/grime/dnb adding more overlap in producers.
- Sound signifiers - e.g bass heavy, pitched up/chopped vocals, 808s, breakbeats etc
- Continuity of infrastructure - Pirate radio (obviously Rinse isn't a pirate anymore but probably counts here). The inheritors of pirate culture are now stations like Sub FM, Nasty FM, Brap FM and a lot of people are playing pirate style shows on here (myself, Breen, Etch, Parris). Also the recent embracing from nights like FWD and the Tempa connection would count as continuity of infrastructure. Shops like Blackmarket etc add to the infrastructure as does releasing on vinyl etc.

However there are a number of 'nuum traits missing.
- The lack of MCs
- The fact that it hasn't come from the streets/working class
- Although a lot of stuff is happening in London there is more of an international flavour at the inception, Rabit, Glacial Sound, Visionist doing stuff for Lit City.

The fact is that categorising something as 'nuum is a retrospective thing and there is no point theorising about whether 'we are at the next stage of the 'nuum' until we see how things pan out and what happens - then intense debate will no doubt happen, as occurred with Funky.

When I first read the (first edition) of Energy Flash in 2001 there was a small amount on dnb at the end and nothing on UKG, there may have been a mention of speed garage - i can't remember(!). It is only in the later revisions that dubstep and grime were mentioned...i think that was in 2009. There certainly wasn't this intense focus on the 'nuum in the early days of dubstep as far as I remember. There are certainly a lot of signifiers and nods to the 'nuum (particularly in Etch and Mumdance & Logos tracks) but does it matter if it is part of a lineage or not? The very existence of the lineage in web 2.0 days is already hotly debated enough!!

I think you could argue that Grime has not been part of the 'nuum since 2008 with things now more in a hip-hop axis....this would be the same as how Martin explains that Pendulum playing live dnb in stadiums is not 'nuum despite being rooted in dnb. You could also argue that the 'EDM/brostep' branch of dubstep is not 'nuum (i think it obviously isn't)....whether dungeon would count as the dying srebme of what dubstep was is another argument. The fact is there are interesting sounds and it is more diverse than what Blackdown/Parris/Myself play...Night Slugs, Hessle, Boxed etc are in a similar enough territory, even to the trained ear. You could equally argue that all the music and discussion in this thread relates to a small subscene of a bigger thing that includes the aforementioned labels and more...and that bigger thing is the continuation of the 'nuum rather than exclusively this. Or maybe nothing is.

Enjoy the music!

p.s here is the text and audio examples from Reynolds' 2009 talk.
http://energyflashbysimonreynolds.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/hardcore-continuum-or-theory-and-its.html
Last edited by threnody on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To book for a live/DJ please email threnody@threnody.co.uk

Releases on:-
Big Dada / Slime / Red Volume / Creative Space / Urban Graffiti / Dubkraft / Rottun / Combat / UK Trends / L2S / Furioso / Yellow Machines

http://www.threnody.co.uk
http://www.uktrendsmusic.co.uk

SUB FM - Thursday Night 10pm-12am
threnody
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Has Bigged up!:
4 times
Been Bigged up!:
23 times

Postby DiegoSapiens » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:57 pm

wtf is this
incnic wrote:daddy why u dead and lying in a puddle :(
son i make techno dadydy on drugs

hubb wrote:its what ive been saying for a while

foxes are the mulattos of the cat/dog world
DiegoSapiens

Has Bigged up!:
1735 times
Been Bigged up!:
1270 times

Postby DiegoSapiens » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:57 pm

:Q:
incnic wrote:daddy why u dead and lying in a puddle :(
son i make techno dadydy on drugs

hubb wrote:its what ive been saying for a while

foxes are the mulattos of the cat/dog world
DiegoSapiens

Has Bigged up!:
1735 times
Been Bigged up!:
1270 times

Postby ehbes » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:09 pm

krytikal wrote:gronk ftw

You don't follow football do you...
Paypal me $2 for a .wav of Midnight
https://soundcloud.com/artend
Dead Rats wrote:Mate, these chaps are lads.
ehbes

Has Bigged up!:
497 times
Been Bigged up!:
898 times

Postby Harkat » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:25 pm

yeah big post threnody
RKM wrote:when bae hands u the aux mixtape and your squad blunted 9/11 aye lmao
Harkat

Has Bigged up!:
1101 times
Been Bigged up!:
1059 times

Postby Doctor_Dave » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:20 am

Harkat wrote:"former keysound associate"

Do RA know what they're talking about here? It would be cool to get some more Beneath tunes on Keysound

More Beneath tunes on Keysound pls

Also One Blings is forthcoming on that EP, mad tune
dididub wrote:catch em ffs
Doctor_Dave

Has Bigged up!:
180 times
Been Bigged up!:
53 times

Postby prisoner » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:59 am

house
techno
grime
dubstep
funky
electro
garage

that's what this music is, most of the tunes can be put into one of those categories.

and most of it IS dubstep, but the (some-whate justifiable) distancing from that term (and the slightly slower bpm) has causee trouble with the rebranding (which is what this is.)

but i think that's part of the problem. by distancing themselves from "dubstep" it's only made them seem even more niche then they need to be, instead of trying to broaden peoples definition of "dubstep" they've mistakenly put themselves into a mind frame of "we're better then that"/ "that's not us" when the reality is most of these guys have more too do with mala & skream then they do with the techno & house crossover they're so desperately trying to associatee with.
prisoner

Has Bigged up!:
11 times
Been Bigged up!:
13 times

Postby skimpi » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:39 am

Doctor Dave wrote:

Do RA know what they're talking about here? It would be cool to get some more Beneath tunes on Keysound

why does it matter where releases Beneath tunes? lol
TopManLurka wrote:thanks for confirming

OiOiii #BELTER
skimpi

Has Bigged up!:
27 times
Been Bigged up!:
120 times

Postby skimpi » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:42 am

i jsut dont get from what i have read before that doing shit at 130 is to distance themselves or separate themselves from dubstep at 140, but then its just similar sounds anyway lol, it doesnt matter what tempo it is lol, if you wanna separate yourself make summat that sounds different not just make it slower
TopManLurka wrote:thanks for confirming

OiOiii #BELTER
skimpi

Has Bigged up!:
27 times
Been Bigged up!:
120 times

Postby bennyfroobs » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:02 am

i vote fartstep

-you have to be youngsta
bennyfroobs

Has Bigged up!:
399 times
Been Bigged up!:
354 times

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:08 am

skimpi wrote:
Doctor Dave wrote:

why does it matter where releases Beneath tunes? lol

This, his release on tectonic was on point Duty would cause damage anywhere.
Currently one of my favourite artists, I still play Illusion EP regularly.
Etches828 wrote:assuming that 130 is a tempo not a sound, which is the point, think it's pretty good when stuff is just described by tempo opposed to some made up name
Marcus

Has Bigged up!:
173 times
Been Bigged up!:
107 times

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion