Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Dubstep Subgenres

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby Be-1ne » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Next Hype.....
.com - Facebook - Twitter - Soundcloud - Juno Chart

Out Now ARE009 Digital (super ltd vinyl featuring my remix of Compa - Security)
http://soundcloud.com/area-recordings/be-1ne-dont-start-time-line
Be-1ne

Postby topmo3 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:59 pm

OmegaMode wrote:Snorestep: not real

Brostep: a relatively new sub-genre of music (born out of Dubstep micro-genre) which has no emphasis on soul.

The goal appears to be to produce music as fast as you possibly can, without placing any emphasis on quality.

Unlike Dubstep where sub bass is key, Brostep places more emphasis on ratty high frequency samples and oscillators that arent even low frequency. Toss in a few hip hop vocal samples and you are well on your way to being the worlds next big Brostep producer.
↑↑Brostepper - Man, I cant wait to see Rusko & 6blocc.

↑↑Dubstepper - Man, I cant wait to see Mala & Kode 9.

Hatestep: not real

Amenstep: not real

Thugstep: An exciting fusion of Dubstep and Hip Hop (in particular, Southern Hip Hop), or Dubstep and Grime music...

This trend originally started in 2007 on the east coast with DJ Nappy, and has since been embraced by numerous other DJs across the globe; for example, DJ Cable from the UK, Shawn Livewire, etc...
Slim Thug "Like A Boss" (Nappy Vs. Vex'd Thugstep Mix)

↑↑DJ Cable Vs. Tempa T & Rusko "Mr. Muscle's Hype"

↑↑Shawn Livewire Vs. Benga & MIMS "This Is Why I'm Crunked Up"

Dubstep vocal: not real

Mechastep: not real

Drumstep: the incestuous lovechild of Drum 'n' Bass and Dubstep; taking the half-time swagger and wobble from Dubstep and mixing it with the general tempo and cadence of an Amen Break
Chillstep: A musical genre composed of dubstep tracks with chill undertones. Low bass, slow beats, add a female's voice to the hook and you've got some chill step. Any talented dubstep artist recognizes chillstep and produces chillstep tracks.

Examples: Soldier On (Rusko), Sierra Leone (Mt Eden Dubstep), Coffee Break (Zeds Dead), Dutch Flowers (Rusko Remix), Get The Money (PANTyRAiD), Massive Attack (Paradise Circus), I Remember (Caspa Remix)

Moombahton (and Moombahcore): a popular genre of electro music invented by musician/DJ Dave Nada in the fall of 2010 in Washington, DC. Nada created the neologism "moombahton" to describe the new genre. "Moombah" comes from the title of a popular track that was remixed by DJ Chuckie. Nada slowed the tracked down to 108 bpms, which is close the the bpms of reggaeton. Hence, Nada adopted the "ton" from "reggaeton" and appended it to the track title "Moombah" to generate "moombahton." As of May, 2011, moombahton is growing dramatically in popularity around the globe, spawning mulitple subgenres as it does so.
The tagline line for the moombahton movement is "Dale moombahton," created by Dave Nada and signifying "Give 'em moombahton."

↑↑ Moombahcore is basically Moombahton on steriods, mixing Moombahton with the harshness and filth of Dubstep/Brostep. The genre has been mainly underground throughout its existence and has only recently gained mainstream exposure.
SkiSM - Experts (xKore's Moombahcore Remix)
Noisestorm - Wipeout (Moombahcore)

Trap: Trap music is a music genre that originated in the early 2000s from Southern hip hop in the Southern United States. It is typified by its lyrical content and trademark sound, which incorporates 808 sub-bass kick drums, double-time, triple-time and other faster time division hi-hats, layered synthesizers, and "cinematic" strings.
In 2012, a new movement of electronic music producers and DJs emerged who began incorporating elements of trap music into their works. This helped expand its popularity among electronic music fans. A number of stylistic offshoots of trap developed, which in the latter half of 2012 gained a rise in viral popularity and made a noticeable impact on dance music.

Glitch Hop: uhh...REAL..Glitch is a style of electronic music that emerged in the late 1990s. It has been described as a genre that adheres to an "aesthetic of failure," where the deliberate use of glitch-based audio media, and other sonic artifacts, is a central concern.

topmo3

Postby Harkat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:04 pm

mIrReN wrote:cringe
RKM wrote:when bae hands u the aux mixtape and your squad blunted 9/11 aye lmao
Harkat

Postby skimpi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:01 am

Brostep: a relatively new sub-genre of music (born out of Dubstep micro-genre) which has no emphasis on soul.

The goal appears to be to produce music as fast as you possibly can, without placing any emphasis on quality.

Unlike Dubstep where sub bass is key, Brostep places more emphasis on ratty high frequency samples and oscillators that arent even low frequency. Toss in a few hip hop vocal samples and you are well on your way to being the worlds next big Brostep producer.

Thugstep: An exciting fusion of Dubstep and Hip Hop (in particular, Southern Hip Hop), or Dubstep and Grime music...

This trend originally started in 2007 on the east coast with DJ Nappy, and has since been embraced by numerous other DJs across the globe; for example, DJ Cable from the UK, Shawn Livewire, etc...

Drumstep: the incestuous lovechild of Drum 'n' Bass and Dubstep; taking the half-time swagger and wobble from Dubstep and mixing it with the general tempo and cadence of an Amen Break
Chillstep: A musical genre composed of dubstep tracks with chill undertones. Low bass, slow beats, add a female's voice to the hook and you've got some chill step. Any talented dubstep artist recognizes chillstep and produces chillstep tracks.

Examples: Soldier On (Rusko), Sierra Leone (Mt Eden Dubstep), Coffee Break (Zeds Dead), Dutch Flowers (Rusko Remix), Get The Money (PANTyRAiD), Massive Attack (Paradise Circus), I Remember (Caspa Remix)

Moombahton (and Moombahcore): a popular genre of electro music invented by musician/DJ Dave Nada in the fall of 2010 in Washington, DC. Nada created the neologism "moombahton" to describe the new genre. "Moombah" comes from the title of a popular track that was remixed by DJ Chuckie. Nada slowed the tracked down to 108 bpms, which is close the the bpms of reggaeton. Hence, Nada adopted the "ton" from "reggaeton" and appended it to the track title "Moombah" to generate "moombahton." As of May, 2011, moombahton is growing dramatically in popularity around the globe, spawning mulitple subgenres as it does so.
The tagline line for the moombahton movement is "Dale moombahton," created by Dave Nada and signifying "Give 'em moombahton."

↑↑ Moombahcore is basically Moombahton on steriods, mixing Moombahton with the harshness and filth of Dubstep/Brostep. The genre has been mainly underground throughout its existence and has only recently gained mainstream exposure.

Trap: Trap music is a music genre that originated in the early 2000s from Southern hip hop in the Southern United States. It is typified by its lyrical content and trademark sound, which incorporates 808 sub-bass kick drums, double-time, triple-time and other faster time division hi-hats, layered synthesizers, and "cinematic" strings.
In 2012, a new movement of electronic music producers and DJs emerged who began incorporating elements of trap music into their works. This helped expand its popularity among electronic music fans. A number of stylistic offshoots of trap developed, which in the latter half of 2012 gained a rise in viral popularity and made a noticeable impact on dance music.

Glitch Hop: uhh...REAL..Glitch is a style of electronic music that emerged in the late 1990s. It has been described as a genre that adheres to an "aesthetic of failure," where the deliberate use of glitch-based audio media, and other sonic artifacts, is a central concern.

wow m8 you sure do know your step
TopManLurka wrote:thanks for confirming

OiOiii #BELTER
skimpi

Postby OGLemon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:38 am

OmegaMode wrote:Any talented dubstep artist recognizes chillstep and produces chillstep tracks.

OGLemon

Postby Doctor_Dave » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:45 am

big up wikipedia/google fam + not knowing anything
dididub wrote:catch em ffs
Doctor_Dave

Postby particle-jim » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:01 am

OmegaMode wrote:Any talented dubstep artist recognizes chillstep and produces chillstep tracks.

imami wrote:i put secret donks in all my tunes, just low enough so you can't hear them

http://www.soundcloud.com/particle
http://www.mixcloud.com/particlejim
particle-jim

Postby Direflow » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:29 pm

this thread is uuhhh... wow this is bad

genres that end with "step" that I know would be

techstep (early neurofunk, Ed Rush, Matrix, etc)
Darkstep (another neurofunk subgenre, DJ Hidden, Skelic, etc)
Dubstep (you know this one)
Brostep (same as above)
Drumstep (that shitty kind of halftime bro-y DnB)

Chillstep (aka liquid dubstep) afaik is just a term youtube kiddies invented for dubstep or even brostep that doesnt sound like 5 alien spaces simultaneously exiting the atmosphere.

rest of that stuff sounds like bs tbh but correct me if i'm wrong lol
kidshuffle wrote:Dmx invented dubstep iirc

Mixes and a few tunes here, check it out.
https://soundcloud.com/direflow
^Donkey Kong Country 2 Enchanted Wood Remix
Direflow

Postby Harkat » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Chillstep is a youtube genre and is the most limp-dicked music possible
RKM wrote:when bae hands u the aux mixtape and your squad blunted 9/11 aye lmao
Harkat

Postby Liam92 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Liam92

Postby Lye_Form » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:47 pm

Harkat wrote:Chillstep is a youtube genre and is the most limp-dicked music possible

m8 dont h8 the chillstep vibes

Life Force Sound | Soundcloud | Facebook

Wolf89 wrote:I'm bit a hipster is the point

wub wrote:Bob Dylan is not Grime.
Lye_Form

Postby syrup » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Harkat wrote:Chillstep is a youtube genre and is the most limp-dicked music possible

:z:
https://soundcloud.com/johney/tapeworm-dub

dubfordessert wrote:you can jizz on me if you want
syrup
Reigning Mini-Mix King

Postby Direflow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:59 am

johney wrote:

:z:

Direflow

Postby BonerJams04 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:28 am

1 2 step
butter_man wrote:who do you think taught you smoke tree's, OD'S, Ice cubes and DOC's?
God, thats who.

BonerJams04

Postby Molzie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:49 am

Molzie

Postby topmo3 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:40 am

topmo3

Postby Direflow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:40 pm

Direflow

Postby Riddles » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:47 pm

soronery wrote:Too easy to sit behind a keyboard with a playlist of dubstep tunes on, arguing about the defintion of a word in relation to a sound.
All that melts away when the lights are down and the bass is up.
Riddles

Postby particle-jim » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:33 pm

imami wrote:i put secret donks in all my tunes, just low enough so you can't hear them

http://www.soundcloud.com/particle
http://www.mixcloud.com/particlejim
particle-jim

Postby ehbes » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Paypal me $2 for a .wav of Midnight
https://soundcloud.com/artend
Dead Rats wrote:Mate, these chaps are lads.
ehbes

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion