Rewinds in Dubstep sets

archives of radio shows, promo mixes, podcasts, studio mixes, live mixes
Forum rules
By using this "Mixes" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.
rekall

Post by rekall » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:15 pm

...appear to be a well known...
have fun gettin' dizzy scrolling through his discographies:
http://www.rolldabeats.com/artist/digital
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Digital

digital

Post by digital » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:22 pm

Nah mate, I aint fussed.

theverdict

Post by theverdict » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:42 am

subliminal

Post by subliminal » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:45 am

has anyone seen the episode of South Park where Chef is trying to get them to change the towns old racist flag? the news crews are interviewing local residents that all say slightly different versions of, "well the flag is racist, but it is part of our history"

this tread reminds me of that

"too many rewinds are bad, but rewinds are an essential part of dubstep"

m'kay?
ImageImageImage

subliminal

Post by subliminal » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:12 pm

wow .... end of discussion then :P
ImageImageImage

robotic

Post by robotic » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:40 am

yes i love rewinds at dubstep parties! always used to think they are tedious, but they just make sense wif big tunes in dubstep, where oftentimes the buildup to the first and most massive drop is no longer than 30 seconds to a minute (or, as in coki's 'burnin', what seems like no more than five seconds!) long. :D it's not a disruption of the flow, it's a breather, and it takes me only one note of a killer track to get back into proper flow on the floor. plus, if a pullup happens and the dj was just about to mix out of the tune, then what's to stop him from doing that still, without letting the tune play by itself for several minutes, and without costing the audiophile massive precious big-tune time? and you don't have to rewind all the way to the beginning... just gotta make it to that first drop again, it's what ppl wanna hear! ... over and over. :wink:

fractal
Mako

Post by fractal » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:53 am

love/hate for me... sometimes its nice, sometimes its tiresome. cant please everyone tho, nah? it does irk me when the emcee is the only one calling for a rewind... should b up to the crowd IMHO

speakin of MHO, nonconscious emcees need to stfu :D
sub.wise:.
slow down
epochalypso wrote:man dun no bout da 'nuum

rekall

Post by rekall » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:34 am

Fractal wrote:it does irk me when the emcee is the only one calling for a rewind

mc = Master of Ceremonies, for the people
not master of "it's me on stage not you, so deal with it"

capro

Post by capro » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:40 pm

not into rewinds at all unless the crowd is seething and breaking the floor apart

i mean, you have to quickly mix the next tune after the reload just to kickstart the energy. so most times you don't even get to hear the tune as much as if you just let it run!!

that and dubstep intros are normally boring as shit!.. i think i'm gonna outright refuse to rewind shit unless i'm making the mc look bad..

kozee

Post by kozee » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:30 pm

I feel dumb when I want a rewind and don't get one. :(

danolboy

Post by danolboy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:10 pm

This has all been diatribed before.

The point of rewinds for me is to have an element of interaction between the crowd and the DJ.

There aren't many forms of dance music that allow for this and I think it adds to the intimate nature of the raves.

If you want to shoe gaze and critique the technicalities of the djing skills then I think you're into the wrong genre. Dub is raw and emotion led and thats how it should be, live or otherwise.

Jubz

Post by Jubz » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:40 pm

kozee wrote:I feel dumb when I want a rewind and don't get one. :(
I feel your pain. After going through the effort of rotating my hand anti clockwise I feel a right plum if im refused.

subhuman

Post by subhuman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:59 pm

capro wrote:not into rewinds at all unless the crowd is seething and breaking the floor apart

i mean, you have to quickly mix the next tune after the reload just to kickstart the energy. so most times you don't even get to hear the tune as much as if you just let it run!!

that and dubstep intros are normally boring as shit!.. i think i'm gonna outright refuse to rewind shit unless i'm making the mc look bad..
:lol:

seen

bludblikro

Post by bludblikro » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:05 am

i think there are too many rewinds..peopel get over excited n jsu start callinfor rewinds that dnt really deserve it that much... also sum rjust pointless liek we'll be out n one dj will drop a track n then in the nxt set or 2 after dat the same track will get dropepd again (bad enuf eventho sumtimes cn tb helped...) n the trak will get a reload. n sumtimes twice so really u heard the track 3 times...wots dat about. plsu too many unnecessary rewinds ruins the flow of teh set... i go out to rave to dusbtep n enjoy it n wen deres bare rewinds u cnt do dat properly it keeps stoppin ur flow... i think it depends on the dj though ..sum liek to reiwnd where as sum liek to kep it xclusive n the host has a job to see it.. sum1 will almost always call for a rewind bt dnt mean shud do it... only wen enuf peopel r callin for it... dats my opinion!

kozee

Post by kozee » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:07 am

I would love to have dub step at the extent that ya'll have in the UK, yea you're sick of rewinds but ya'll got that shit so crackin! be grateful for that!

clone.a.k.

Post by clone.a.k. » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:19 pm

Jubscarz wrote:
kozee wrote:I feel dumb when I want a rewind and don't get one. :(
I feel your pain. After going through the effort of rotating my hand anti clockwise I feel a right plum if im refused.
anyone else get it?

3507321c
Permanent Vacation

Post by 3507321c » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:29 am

Jubscarz wrote:If the crowd is asking for a rewind, a tune gets rewound, simple tings. All this talk about blah blah blah smooth mixes etc etc is rubbish. DJ's a dj all they do is put tunes on for a crowd to enjoy, its easy, simple.
Standard.

six_foot_dooze

Post by six_foot_dooze » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:52 pm

ive always been a rewind few...if the track is large....its all about a reload, once the tune drops in again....for example lets say like loefah-mud got 1....im sure soon as it drpped again the crowd will still go as mad!...lol

ytee

Post by ytee » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:44 pm

signus

Post by signus » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:24 am

I remember twice while seeing Vex'D and Distance there was a need for a rewind. When Distance dropped Fallen and the crowd went wild and when Vex'D dropped angels and the whole room came close to banging their heads on the roof coz they were jumping around so much. I have learnt to appreciate rewinds when they are based on what the crowd wants but if there is an MC shouting for rewinds every other song it kills a set. Never seen a DIY rewind myself and i think if anyone did it to me while I was mixing I wouldn't be happy. (granted if it was Skream I wouldn't give a toss lol)