Past Events
mr mafro

GLAS Jan 30 Zomby & Werk Discs live rave retrospective &

Post by mr mafro » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:23 am

Kinky Afro
Friday 30th January

with special guest:
Zomby (2 hour collaborative live set)
(Hyperdub, Dressed to Sweat, Werk Discs)

The spirit of filthy rave and jungle gets spliced with the future sounds of splintered dub as Actress and The Werk DJ squad link up their laptops with ascendant star Zomby for a jacking-3-way-live-history-lesson of bass.

Emptying the DNA of their own mutating and ultra modern rhythms of dubstep, grime and abstract hip hop into the canon of rave, hardcore and jungle influences, Zomby and the Werk squad are intent on digging up the airborne strains of classic sounds and searing them with tomorrow’s taste-making rumbles.

This is a bespoke collaborative multi-artist live set commissioned uniquely for the Sub Club's crowd and system.

Taking the best of Zomby's recent LP highlights on 'Where were u in '92? Actress and Sam Blair will wire up the laptops to collaboratively drop one live ass shaking historical exploration mashing up the most influential bass and breaks of the rave era and melding them with modern bass making floors tick around the world...

Unleash your inner self as a bliss-kissed halcyon zoomer and come straddle the best of both skools – old and new.

The Sub Club
22 Jamaica St
Glasgow

11pm till 3am

£8

www.myspace.com/zombyproductions for music
www.myspace.com/kinkyafroclub for more info and bass banter

Next Date Friday March 27
Last edited by mr mafro on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckfaster

Post by buckfaster » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Same night as Martyn @ Stereo.

Decisions decisions...

t.
www.lacocina-agency.com
www.myspace.com/buckfaster
http://soundcloud.com/tazbuckfaster/dropbox
AIM: fackbuster
For bookings, contact Tom (La Cocina Agency) - tom at platdujour-bcn dot com

mr mafro

Post by mr mafro » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:56 pm

here's a little taster of a zomby mix:

http://dazeddigital.com/Music/article/1 ... e_download

though he'll be working with Actress to gear this vibe Specifically for the Subbie and the Glasgow crowds so undoubtably willl include some weegie bombs

cassettegirl

Post by cassettegirl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:33 pm

buckfaster wrote:Same night as Martyn @ Stereo.

Decisions decisions...

t.
I'm doing both i think.......

ryanm0710

Post by ryanm0710 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:49 pm

will he turn up?

ballers

Post by ballers » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:20 pm

he hasnt turned up to any of his american dates.

didge

Post by didge » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:50 pm

Is this a go ahead then? Its been taken down off his myspace...

Any news??

mr mafro

Post by mr mafro » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:03 pm

still going ahead yes...

here's some blurb about the DJ mix posted above....

here's the track listing along with some banter from Zomby and Darren about each track:

I never heard these tracks in a rave – I didn’t reach my first rave until 1993 – these were tunes that I first heard on the tapes being passed around at the time either recorded in raves or mixed by the older kids in my school who were ahead of the game – ahead of us anyway. A few of the tracks I came to later as I dug around in second hand shops. No point even starting to list the tunes that aren’t on here…

Ridiculous that this tune isn’t played in full – but the mix is only made up of tracks that I have on vinyl and I missed this one so was grabbed from youtube as it had to be on there one way or another, BODYSNATCH – EUPHONY, AKA ‘Just 4 U London’. If ever London needs its own anthem look no further – makes me ache with pride – but you don’t hear that vocal here, or the beat, just this sound from the intro.

Over that you have Robbie Dee mc’ing at a Fantazia rave in ’92. Used to sit around smoking weed at an Olympic level, twisting our half-formed, adolescent minds listening to tapes like this. It always made you feel like you had come into the scene too late. And moments of mc’ing could become biblical.

Then straight into MANIX – SPECIAL REQUEST. First bought the record for ‘Feel Real Good’, but this track is the killer for me and I wanted to avoid the whole piano thing and keep the mix darker and tougher but still with that rave sound to connect it to the Zomby album.

Out of that into STRUCTURAL DAMAGE – REALLY LIVING which was on a Fantazia tape we used to listen to. The sounds of those stabs do something strange to me – fuck, I’m back in Duffy’s bedroom!

Again, I bought 2 BAD MICE – 2 BAD MICE (REMIX) for its more famous a-side ‘Bombscare’ but it was a toss up between this and ‘Waremouse’ for pride of place on the mix. For some reason this won.

CODE 071 – A LONDON SUMTIN is another track to get the cockney pride rising, and has to be one of my favourites on here even though I came to it late during a Reinforced crate digging session. Incredible.

Could have chosen almost any of Goldie’s early releases, but went for RUFIGE KRU – MENACE. How many ideas are there in this tune? When I first started listening to this stuff Goldie was a complete mystery, almost a myth, the guy that made ‘Terminator’ which was the tune that really opened me up to hardcore.

He features again on 4HERO – THE ELEMENTS (FIRE AND WATER REMIX), credited alongside Marc Mac and Dego. Came to this tune late too – my giddy teenage mind wasn’t ready for this shit.

Next up, time to get the rave started, DMS – VENGENCE, produced by Acen, another hardcore legend who helped really define the sound. Good times.

CRIMINAL MINDS – BAPTISED BY DUB made perfect sense to my stoned 15 year-old mind with its reggae flavoured build up and jump into frenetic e’d up mayhem. I’m getting sentimental now.

Time to take it back down with 4HERO – STUDENTS OF THE FUTURE (THE 4TH DIMENSION 4HERO REMIX), though I’m now wondering if it’s the (NOSTRADAMUS: REVELATION RUGIGE KRU REMIX), the picture disc is confusing. Either way it’s bad.

After the pirate radio clip ¬we drop into STUDIO 2 – DIRTY GAMES, the ultimate floppy bass monster. What the fuck is this music?

JOHNNY JUNGLE – FLAMMABLE is from ’93. Hardcore? Jungle? Somewhere in between I guess.

Then a clip of MC GQ – ‘look at the crowd’ from a World Dance rave I was at, and a snippet from a Kaotic Chemistry track ‘Space Cakes’ which would have been on here if I could have found the record in my collection, and then into INTA WARRIORS – YOUR LOVE IS YOURS, produced by Grooverider.

Back to Robbie Dee pushing the boundaries of the English language with his ‘Are you still fucking mental out there yet?’ question. Then into DUB II – BADMAN (TUFFNESS MIX). It doesn’t get much more hardcore than this track. Brash, incessant, relentless and contributed to a generation of English kids talking in patois.

Last up is DJ TRACE – LOST ENTITY, another from ’93, just felt like putting on a heavy Amen tune.

dusty_head

Post by dusty_head » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:21 pm

YASSSSSSSSS gonna be big

my birthday aswell so be sure to wish me happy b day!!!

mr mafro

Post by mr mafro » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:07 pm

mr mafro

Post by mr mafro » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:17 pm

In a old skool and rave orgy: Twitch has been added to tonight’s gig due to popular demand.

Twitch has most recently has been slaving away on a load of Rave and techno edits for seminal 90s dance label R&S.

This is all going onto an album will be called ‘In Order to Edit’ to be released in March / April.

As such Twitch is tooled up with all the necessary tunes and is chomping to play at the Sub Club tonight and will be doing his own:

“I was ACTUALLY there is ‘92!” homage to early 90s rave, jungle and techno.

He’ll be doing an hour or so before the headline set of Zomby and Actress.

Price remains the same.

Sub Club 11pm till 3am

Dinnae forget yer Vics.

Mafro

harbinger

Post by harbinger » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:00 pm

did zomby turn up then?
Harbinger's UK Funky Classics Mix
Soundcloud

Facebook page: http://facebook.com/harbinger1989

harbinger

Post by harbinger » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:13 pm

geeez that is absolute bollocks, he's doing himself no favours.
glad to hear everyone had a gd time anyway tho.
Harbinger's UK Funky Classics Mix
Soundcloud

Facebook page: http://facebook.com/harbinger1989