(Pada) wrote:
garethom wrote:The guy at the top gets paid loads because he's responsible for decisions that could make or break tens of millions for shareholders.
There is the problem right there, what work have the shareholders done to earn that money? It's immoral to make money from money.
I agree with you to some extent about the shareholders although obviously in a lot of cases, those shareholders have pumped a lot of money into a business to keep it going or to grow it. A return on their investment isn't a lot to ask for.
Do I necessarily agree with the amount he's paid? Not really. Do I see why it's like that? Yes. Find somebody that would do the work of a CEO for a similar wage as a shelf stacker. Again, right or wrong, how hard you work does not come into it.
Can a shelf stacker be replaced very easily? Yes.
Can a CEO be replaced very easily No. When I said not demanding, I mean, you turn up, stack shelves, go home. Little stress, you know your situation, etc.
Pedro Sánchez wrote:
garethom wrote:lol if you genuinely think CEOs work about 20 hours a week.
You have never obviously worked in any type of managerial position with CEOs in plain sight, business lunches on work expenses doesn't constitute as work to normal people mate.
No, obviously not.
You think they do business lunches all day? I've worked with CEOs that have to drop shit at a moments notice to fly around the world to sort some shit out somewhere else. Getting shifted around to sort shit out on a daily basis. Making decisions that could make or break a company and the tens of thousands of people who work for it. 20 hour weeks? I've known people just a few levels above ME at work, let alone CEOs do 20 hour DAYS. I swear, it's too easy to think that the people above you do nothing until you do their job. I used to think that my project manager just chilled and let everybody else do the work. Then the last 2 weeks I had to do his job with him. Worst 2 weeks of my life. He's informing on decisions that could impact BILLIONS of pounds of public funding for education. At the company I work for, you can't even claim overtime pay when you get to a certain grade. If you've known CEOs that just fuck around at business lunches and do 20 hour weeks, you've met some seriously irresponsible CEOs.
I know I'm probably not gonna change your mind, I'm just conscious of being seen as some sort of Gordon Gekko like character. I think the job situation is a joke. Minimum wage is unliveable. Zero hour contracts and compulsory work for benefit schemes should be illegal. I'm just not naive enough to be unable to see that some people have skills that are far more valuable than others.