Can someone please explain Grim?

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
kymatik
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:36 pm
Location: Bristol, Uk
Contact:

Can someone please explain Grim?

Post by kymatik » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:34 pm

might be a stupid question lol but im still learning about this 'ere new fangled thingy ;)

Ta

spaceboy
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: West
Contact:

Post by spaceboy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:07 pm

grim isnt there some label called grim?

is it like grime?
The World is YOURZ

gutter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

Post by gutter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:24 pm

Spaceboy wrote:grim isnt there some label called grim?

is it like grime?
you're being ironic, right?

Grim isn't really anything - it's a name concocted by the Werk Discs label to showcase new artists.

BUT....

It could become a catch-all term for idm-orientated artists, or ex-breakcore fanatics, or middle class laptop boffins who are now making complex/detailed grime tunes.

Time will tell :wink:
Last edited by gutter on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spaceboy
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: West
Contact:

Post by spaceboy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:25 pm

cool...gutter knows! :lol:
The World is YOURZ

kymatik
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:36 pm
Location: Bristol, Uk
Contact:

Post by kymatik » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:12 pm

yeh cheers man. Thats the 1st pint for you friday :D

User avatar
thinking
Posts: 4753
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:34 pm
Location: Bristal
Contact:

Post by thinking » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:15 pm

Yea this Grim thing is getting out of hand. I know of at least one or two people who enjoy the dubstep and/or grime sound and have got very confused about some 'new genre' called Grim(m).

It's about 4 or 5 records on one label that are slightly derivative of the sublow sound. That's it. End of.

kymatik
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:36 pm
Location: Bristol, Uk
Contact:

Post by kymatik » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:20 pm

If ur after a pint there ain't no wagon jumpin here :P

(ta)

:)

User avatar
seckle
Posts: 12404
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:58 pm

Post by seckle » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:34 pm

i see the"grim dubs" plates floating around in the grime section of my local store. ha.

gutter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

Post by gutter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:52 pm

ThinKing wrote:Yea this Grim thing is getting out of hand. I know of at least one or two people who enjoy the dubstep and/or grime sound and have got very confused about some 'new genre' called Grim(m).

It's about 4 or 5 records on one label that are slightly derivative of the sublow sound. That's it. End of.
Yeah true. There're several people to blame for this:

Werk Discs (obviously)

Sam Atki2 and Dubway for using the term 'Grim' on their Ruffnek Discotek flyers.

Me for encouraging them all.

User avatar
dubway
Admin
Posts: 3089
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:30 pm

Post by dubway » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:56 pm

Gutter wrote:
ThinKing wrote:Yea this Grim thing is getting out of hand. I know of at least one or two people who enjoy the dubstep and/or grime sound and have got very confused about some 'new genre' called Grim(m).

It's about 4 or 5 records on one label that are slightly derivative of the sublow sound. That's it. End of.
Yeah true. There're several people to blame for this:

Werk Discs (obviously)

Sam Atki2 and Dubway for using the term 'Grim' on their Ruffnek Discotek flyers.

Me for encouraging them all.
A-aa
not me :)
Dub Boy maybe

confusion on confusion LOL

autonomic
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: ottawa
Contact:

Post by autonomic » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:02 pm

clonk

blackdown
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Posts: 2351
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: LDN
Contact:

Post by blackdown » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:14 pm

i think it's useful because there are lots of people post-Rephlex comps mixing electronica/breakcore/experimental ideas with grime and dubstep production ideas, that have few direct ties to either of the existing dubstep or grime communities. Grimm is useful to describe these new movements.
Keysound Recordings, Rinse FM, http://www.blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com, sub, edge, bars, groove, swing...

gutter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

Post by gutter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:39 pm

dubway wrote:
Gutter wrote: Sam Atki2 and Dubway for using the term 'Grim' on their Ruffnek Discotek flyers.
A-aa
not me :)
Dub Boy maybe

confusion on confusion LOL
Oops yeah I meant Tim Dub Boy. Too many dubbers innit. I got Dubway on the brain - yer a fuckin star mate!

gutter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

Post by gutter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:46 pm

Blackdown wrote:i think it's useful because there are lots of people post-Rephlex comps mixing electronica/breakcore/experimental ideas with grime and dubstep production ideas, that have few direct ties to either of the existing dubstep or grime communities. Grimm is useful to describe these new movements.
Phew, someone who actually sees it the way I do. From my pseudo-journalistic viewpoint, Grim is indeed a useful term.

I just wish I could come up with a better euphemism....

blackdown
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Posts: 2351
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: LDN
Contact:

Post by blackdown » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:02 pm

didn't Reynolds coin it? my advice is to stay away from coining genre names, artists only end up resenting you (i witnessed Ministry mag try to invent 'disco-hop' once on the basis of one Deadly Avenger 12". doh!).
Keysound Recordings, Rinse FM, http://www.blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com, sub, edge, bars, groove, swing...

atomly
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:20 pm
Location: berlin
Contact:

Post by atomly » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:27 pm

atomly :: www.atomly.com

gutter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

Post by gutter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:27 pm

Blackdown wrote:didn't Reynolds coin it? my advice is to stay away from coining genre names, artists only end up resenting you (i witnessed Ministry mag try to invent 'disco-hop' once on the basis of one Deadly Avenger 12". doh!).
Reynolds was first to use the term 'Grimm' a year so back, although he was actually referring to dubstep in general:

"Grimm, that&#146;s what I&#146;m going to call the darkdubstep/Croydon t'ing from now onwards. So you have Grime and its taciturn brother Grimm."

Didn't really catch on though, did it :roll:

r33lc4sh
Posts: 1032
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: poland
Contact:

Post by r33lc4sh » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:30 pm

kill all the journalists!!! :twisted:
http://redekonstrukcje.org
hardest and toughest sound system of freezing east

gutter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

Post by gutter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:32 pm

atomly wrote:http://www.atomly.com/random/grime.mp3

Would this qualify?
that's practically breakcore, mate! mind you, it could fit the Grim Dubs concept quite well - you should send 'em a demo!

r33lc4sh
Posts: 1032
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: poland
Contact:

Post by r33lc4sh » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:48 pm

Gutter wrote:
atomly wrote:http://www.atomly.com/random/grime.mp3

Would this qualify?
that's practically breakcore
that is breakcore :P
http://redekonstrukcje.org
hardest and toughest sound system of freezing east

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests